Popular Tags: [View All]
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back a month or so I posted requesting some sandbox-y game recommendations https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1612312/sandbox-y-euros-are....

I've realized after playing more that I'm actually after games with a very wide decision space.

I thought this was one and the same with "sandbox-y" but I'm starting to find that:

Sandbox = many viable paths to victory
Wide decision space = many different and varied angles to consider during the game

I consider a perfect example of the later to be 18XX.

Are there any other games that share this characteristic, but with different/fresh theme and mechanics?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
Two words: Splotter Spellen. Judging from your Heavy Cardboard badge and your profile you seem to already know this. My favorites from them are Indonesia and The Great Zimbabwe.

If you want big scope and decisions try Eklund's PAX Series Game which have quite the sandbox feel. I just started playing An Infamous Traffic from the designer behind Pax Pamir and the space there is good too. Much of its space is generated from the player interdependence and high reactionary play.

If you are looking for something more elegant I suggest Container which offers an anti-solitaire experience and the ability to sink yourself in the sandbox. For an off-the-beaten-path-brain-melty-gem check out Neuland, a hardcore logistics game which is guaranteed to test the horizons of your decision space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Muhlestein
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you like abstracts, check out Homeworlds. I've only played the two player version Binary Homeworlds. It is packed full of things to consider. Balancing shared pieces, multiple set ups for your homeworld, and much more. All in a small set of Looney Pyramids and any flat surface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestions! I'll take a closer look at these!

Keep them coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Epic Western qualifies given the amount of time some of the AP my friends get into each round of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Antiquity

Or, for something less epic, try New Amsterdam or Lewis and Clark. Great interlocking brain-burning mechanisms on those two.

Edit: Through the Ages, too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Virgin Queen fits all your requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.