Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Kent
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
Hi

I have played the game solo now about a dozen times, and I'm really enjoying it. I see no reason to make any changes to Aaron or how he works - I think the game doesn't need to be made more difficult (I'm on a 40% win rate) and Aaron will never make strategic choices of what he builds - his cards will always be random. It makes him easy and quick to implement.

However there is one area where I play with a slight tweak to Aaron. Not to make him harder but to aid my poor memory. In solo the 6 turns in each round get squashed together as you are the only player. I get confused when I'm paying 3 silver to take an extra action, as it can be played only once per turn - which can get confusing at the end of the round. So having a mechanism to separate the turns is useful - I do it by not turning over all of Aaron's cards at the start of the round, but one at a time. He gets his first card at the start and then another one after each of my turns (until he runs out). This helps me separate my turns but also adds some tension as I don't know what he will get next - and I can race him to be the first to complete a particular triple.

It's simple but helps.

TDM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
the_demolished_man wrote:

However there is one area where I play with a slight tweak to Aaron. Not to make him harder but to aid my poor memory. In solo the 6 turns in each round get squashed together as you are the only player. I get confused when I'm paying 3 silver to take an extra action, as it can be played only once per turn - which can get confusing at the end of the round. So having a mechanism to separate the turns is useful - I do it by not turning over all of Aaron's cards at the start of the round, but one at a time. He gets his first card at the start and then another one after each of my turns (until he runs out). This helps me separate my turns but also adds some tension as I don't know what he will get next - and I can race him to be the first to complete a particular triple.

Interesting idea! While I haven't had trouble keeping turns under control (but I have caught myself picking up all 6 cards and looking at them, then realizing it's only two at a time!) your idea does give a nice variation to Aaron getting the leftovers. And does give the player some hope they can get a triple or one of each kind before Aaron...

And just for my own memory, I wrote how many cards Aaron gets at the top of the Round cards....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rita Chen
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get confused when I'm paying 3 silver to take an extra action, as it can be played only once per turn - which can get confusing at the end of the round.

Oops, I'm pretty sure I played a solo game just yesterday where I paid for an extra action twice on one turn. So thanks for this thread, over & above the suggestion about Aaron; I have to remember not to do that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kent
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
stellarc wrote:
I get confused when I'm paying 3 silver to take an extra action, as it can be played only once per turn - which can get confusing at the end of the round.

Oops, I'm pretty sure I played a solo game just yesterday where I paid for an extra action twice on one turn. So thanks for this thread, over & above the suggestion about Aaron; I have to remember not to do that!

Hi

I ALWAYS end up playing too many extra actions! The difficulty is when you play one between two turns - was it the end of the first turn, or the start of the next? And if it's the start of the next, then the next extra action can't be the middle/end of the same turn. This is hard enough to track in the middle of the round, but by the time you get to the final turn, I can never remember if my last extra action was part of the 6th turn or the end of the 5th - so can I play one more or not?

I guess the easiest way to remember is that on the 6th and final turn, you can't play two extra actions - unless the one you play at the start of the turn was actually at the end of the 5th turn, provided you haven't played one in that turn already... um, er, hang on, now I'm confused again.

My tweak to Aaron helps a little bit but I still get confused. Maybe I need a turn marker of some kind...

Or maybe a house rule to say that if you turn over all of Aaron's cards in one go (and forget my tweak), you can play as many extra actions as you like whenever you like. It's not as if you are getting one over on the other players...

TDM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.