United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about trying this series out for a while now and today I learned that they are coming out with this expansion for it. I am a nut for the old zeppelins so I am going to have to pick this up.

So I was wondering what folks would recommend for someone taking their first steps into this? Obviously Zeppelins is an expansion and there seems to be a lot of games in this series. I am thinking Jutland sounds like a good first step. Is that a good choice and if so what others in the series are must haves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RMN Gamer
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given you are a self-confessed "Zep-Nut" then Jutland would probably be the best bet. The other choice would be the Mediterranean module but Zeps and the Med don't mix as well as they do in the North Sea....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten to a point where I like game series. I am tired of learning new rules every time I play a new game. I look at all these scenarios in all these games in this series and I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McCarthy
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Courage and Honour!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been really on the fence as well in starting this series. The subject matter sounds interesting and the design looks great. I have not found too many reviews on the GWAS series as a whole though. Everyone who talks about it either loves it or hates it. Those that hate it seem to hate the publisher more than the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was on the fence until I saw Zeppelins was coming and that pushed me over the edge. I have always been fascinated by the giants Zeppelins of the first half of the 20th Century. I can only imagine what it would have been like to see those monsters flying in the air. The blimps of today are cool but they are not near the size of the Zeppelins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick P
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
I love these games, and the related Second World War at Sea, games. Jutland is particularly impressive. The now out-of-print 1904-5 game actually included a Russian balloon mother ship (named Rus) and Avalanche later made the balloon counters available for download. Not Zeps admittedly but still...

Please make sure you have plenty of dice - and I mean PLENTY. Even with battles of 8-9 ships I use as many as 50 dice! I colour-code the types of gunnery per nationality so I can roll a whole squdron at once. Don't swallow that Avalanche stuff about ten dice being preferable - its nowhere near sufficient.

I like Avalanche a lot: yes, they rush things and come out with some searing mistakes but they are enthusiastic, educationally oriented and approachable. Panzer Grenadier to my mind is unsurpassed. GWAS and SWWAS are also top-notch provided you are aware the "real" game is the strategic aspect. The battles resulting from fleet contacts are simple and abstract but the particularity of specific ships does shine through. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls