Subject: First play advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthonii
Australia
flag msg tools
4.6 Five Mississippi
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked the game up from the recent kickstarter.

I very much am interested in playing with the 'expansions' ruleset, but don't want to die into an expansion just yet. Is there a simple way to do this from those with experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in a similar situation. with the changes to the core game (especially the turn structure with regard to the stock market action), I plan on just jumping right in. Teaching the base game and later adding in the expansion may confuse new players and want them to keep playing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may need to learn the base game rules in order to understand the changes in the expansion, but when teaching new players, you should be able to just jump right in with the expansion. When teaching new players, you don't need to explain how the stock market action worked in the base game for them to understand how in now works in the expansion. When teaching the expansion to people who have played the base game, you may want to be able to explain to them what is different.

The only rule from the stock market in the base game that carry over into the expansion is how the stock prices move when they are bought and sold. Though you no longer adjust the stock prices when buying and selling stocks in the final round of the game.
New players don't need to know that in the base game you could buy and sell as much as you could afford when taking the stock market action. They also don't need to know that the stock market was an option during the action phase. And they don't need to know that in the base game, the $ rating of the Luminary you used to take the stock market action affected the price you paid or received when buying or selling stock.

I don't think I will ever play the base game rules ever again. the expansion rules are a lot better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. The expansion rules are simpler and the add a much more satisfying end game scoring aspect. It is a vastly improved game with the expansion. Skip the original, although don't throw away the rule book, there are things not explained in the expansion rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthonii
Australia
flag msg tools
4.6 Five Mississippi
mbmbmbmbmb
would it be to much to add the expansion content first game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Desbois
France
Aix en Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'd say it's mandatory to start first game with expansion. it bring only good and more simplicity to the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
anthonii wrote:
I picked the game up from the recent kickstarter.

I very much am interested in playing with the 'expansions' ruleset, but don't want to die into an expansion just yet. Is there a simple way to do this from those with experience?

We definitely recommend using the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules summary on the back of the original rulebook I found quite helpful. Using the expansion, which I agree improves the game, you can still use that summary (slightly modified). We followed along with the new player aid cards as we played through each turn, consulting the rules summary and the expansion rules for the specifics of Events and the workshop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Makos
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game tonight - having never played the base game before we jumped right into a 4 player with the expansion, and i'm very glad we did. The HQ boards add some nice strategic touches and the events seemed solid and gave an element of variance to each round.

Even though no one else was aware that there were different rules in the base game for the stock market, to me the expansion rules make much more sense and stop what sound like wild swings happening in the last round. The new scoring mechanism means everyone is thinking very carefully about their portfolio towards the end and it seems like an excellent change. Overall, enjoyed it a lot - first play meant that we weren't really aware of particular strategies relating to specific inventors but now we're itching to play again as we know what to look for.

In short - really enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.