22 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Spqr or great battle of alexander rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ste M
msg tools
Hi
After a long thinking I've culled the title I wanna buy to this 2.
One I can find at 140 euros spqr, while gboa the Macedonian art of war with the two exp is at 90.
I know the comparison has already been made but not on these 2 point.
Grant that I want a fair game. Means both side enjoy a challenging battle experience.
Is spqr worth the extra 50 euros? Or just take gboa and wait for p500 of spqr?
I've seen very mixed feeling about gboa. People who say it's a matter of tactics and Alexader is not so Op. To people who said that is just playable solo.
I can't find tyrant anyway if someone hint this sadly coz is oop.
Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new edition of Great Battles of Alexander includes Diadochoi, Phalanx, and Tyrant. If it makes any difference, that's a lot more game than comes with SPQR. There's also a wider variety of battles/opponents in GBOA, SPQR pretty much just covers the Second Punic War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wernervoss wrote:
The new edition of Great Battles of Alexander includes Diadochoi, Phalanx, and Tyrant. If it makes any difference, that's a lot more game than comes with SPQR. There's also a wider variety of battles/opponents in GBOA, SPQR pretty much just covers the Second Punic War.

Drat! Now I have to think, perhaps, about buying Alexander! Although I do have Hoplite, as well as SPQR; both games as of yet unplayed. Perhaps I should just do the sensible thing and play them both, first, before considering getting a third game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexander without a doubt! (pay no attention to my mircobadges )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
IT does include tyrant?
I think not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
Stefano1234 wrote:
IT does include tyrant?
I think not

How is the win ratio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
The newest GBoA does not include the Tyrant scenarios.

My advice with the series is to buy the game whose history you are most interested in. The strength of the series is its study of battle tactics in the ancient world, rather than being competitive games. Watching the evolution from city-state hoplites to Macedonian phalanges to Roman legions — and how they performed against an array of opposing army compositions — is quite interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefano1234 wrote:
IT does include tyrant?
I think not

Ah, my bad. On the page for the game on GMT's website, it looks like it does, though. Even without Tyrant, the new version of GBOA is still a better deal. It does include the Raphia module, which would otherwise be very hard to find.

If you get GBOA, and you decide you like it, you could always try to trade from Tyrant (11 people have it listed 'For Trade'), and there's also a BGGer in Germany that has a copy for sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
...and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both are great games, but still prefer SPQR. Is SPQR the Deluxe version or the old one? If the old one I wouldn't pay those sums for it.

Actually, for me the best part of GBoA is the Tyrant module so if that one is OoP I would hesitate to buy GBoA. For SPQR the Barbarian: SPQR Module module is a must buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Mengle
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wernervoss wrote:

I'm more into Roman than Greek stuff myself, but note that the Deluxe version of SPQR also includes Consul for Rome, Africanus and Pyrrhic Victory and at least some of the battles from War Elephant and Jugurtha. So there's a lot of stuff in there too. They are both beefy packages.

I would let your personal interests guide you here, even if that means eventually getting both. The big deluxe GBoA is available now so I'd say snatch it up, and then be patient watching the secondary market for a copy of SPQR Deluxe. (A reprint is also on P500.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
wernervoss wrote:
On the page for the game on GMT's website, it looks like it does, though.

The BGG page details all the scenarios. Don't ask me why the info here is more reliable than the GMT page. They've been pretty terrible at accurately describing their GBoH line, especially what scenarios are included in the various editions.

(The latest example is the new Boudicaa product, which only implies, rather than outright states that it's a GBoH game and is really an expansion to the Gaul game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two notes about 'unbalanced' battles in GBoH or really any game:
1) GBoH has a bidding variant where the players can bid rout points to play the more powerful side. Note that this might need you to actually play the battle once to get a feel for it.

2) Play the battle twice, swapping sides and total your rout points from both games.

Almost all ancient battle games will be full of scenarios that heavily favour one side or the other (even C&C:A).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Battles of Alexander, no contest.

You won't be sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I just couldn't help myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
This user is a user.
badge
Congratulations, you've discovered this hidden message. Eternal knowledge is yours! Please use responsibly.
mbmb
Stefano1234 wrote:
Stefano1234 wrote:
IT does include tyrant?
I think not

How is the win ratio

If you are interested in winning percentages of individual scenarios, check out Results4GBoH: https://results4gboh.wordpress.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AveryAllen wrote:
Stefano1234 wrote:
Stefano1234 wrote:
IT does include tyrant?
I think not

How is the win ratio

If you are interested in winning percentages of individual scenarios, check out Results4GBoH: https://results4gboh.wordpress.com/

Didn't know it existed, thanks for the info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I havn't checked on this in a while, but I believe SPQR has 4X more scenario's if you count the ones that come in C3i, which you can download all of the older ones (C3i 18 and earlier) from the C3i Archives.
So SPQR gives you more bang for the buck IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Beach
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is my vote
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Avtomatik wrote:

I just couldn't help myself.

I thought thumbing yourself is supposed to be bad form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

I thought thumbing yourself is supposed to be bad form.

It aint the form mate, its the substance

But yeah, thumbing yourself just sounds wrong.

I was just showing that both games are fine^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Way
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kyletravels wrote:

Here is my vote

I second your vote - I also have all of the expansion for each game - I'll be playing/replaying GBoH scenarios for the rest of my days!

v
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:
I think both are great games, but still prefer SPQR. Is SPQR the Deluxe version or the old one? If the old one I wouldn't pay those sums for it.

As an added comment, SPQR Deluxe includes two scenarios featuring Roman Legions against the Macedonian phalanx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.