Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Widbin
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One Night Ultimate Guide

Hey everyone. I made this guide as I saw a need for roles and rules to be have a concise summary on one sheet per. When you own everything you have 5 rulebooks to rifle through and then hunt for what you need in that book. The problem with this is 1) time added per player 2) many players may need to look and 3) you can notice what book they are looking through which can ruin things possibly.

This is a first version so all feedback is openly accepted. Just remember the goal was to keep descriptions as short as possible to fit it all in, so I could not get into edge cases or nuances in the rules. I did try to account for some things though (such as the fact that some cards may change teams over the course of the game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome and something I've been looking to creating myself.

Really elegant.

I'll go over it again soon, but nothing really jumped out at me at first glance.

Great job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Looks good. It doesn't include Alien, but I guess you know that. (-8

One minor thing: it might be easy to specify "any Tanner" v. "all Tanners" in a couple of places without losing clarity?

It would be really great if there were a way to notate which things move with the rôle card and which ones remain with the player. That's something people often get wrong, especially once things like marks, Paranormal Investigator, Doppelganger, etc. get included. But I'm not sure how that could be achieved without complicating things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, first look.

The Tanner win condition seems to imply that villagers can't win if a Tanner dies.

My understanding is that the villagers can kill a Tanner and a Wolf and win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Widbin
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a tanner is killed only the tanner wins regardless of anyoneone else being killed. It is basically a trump against everyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Widbin
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once alien comes out I will try and update if it doesn't make everything too small. For this I kept it to just released versions.

I will lake at the tanner section. Was there a particular place you are referencing?

There were two things I did to try and accommodate role card moves. For the roles with a possibly changing team I used the word 'card' to imply that it moves with the card if it changes locations. I also had a '>' part in the notes to show the artifacts trump marks and marks trump cards. If there is a better way to express these situations I am definitely open to suggestions. It is difficult to get large concepts condensed into a few words or phrases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camilo North
msg tools
Nice! Notes on possible changes:

Mark of Love should be "dies if love interest dies", not "loses if love interest dies". The mark doesn't itself alter your win condition. (e.g. A villager in love with a vampire still wins if that vampire dies, or a tanner in love with a villager can win via that villager dying and killing the tanner by implication.) If there's space, it might be worth mentioning that the love interests see each other. ("Identifies love interest and dies if they do", maybe?)

Doppleganger should be "another player's card" to omit the possibility of using a center card.

Apprentice Tanner has the night action "Learns the identity of the Tanner."

I believe colormage1 is correct about shared Tanner wins according to the rulebook I have, and similarly there are some issues with the rules to the lone Minion scenario I'd have to double check. That said, I'm not certain if the win conditions were modified in future game editions (I have an early-ish one), and the described conditions are common house rules I've seen that play better than the official win conditions in my opinion.

Minor text fixes: The Apprentice Assassin win condition, the Witch, and the Seer all have un-bolded text at the end. Pickpocket and Robber might also be changed to consistently use either "them" or "him" as the base pronoun for clarity.

Possible omissions, acknowledging that these may have been deliberately cut for space: The Bodyguard, Hunter, and Prince artifacts from the first promo pack, the effects of the Shield token, and the circumstances under which the PI changes teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
widbinjd wrote:
If a tanner is killed only the tanner wins regardless of anyoneone else being killed. It is basically a trump against everyone else.

Hmm. It's never come up for us, but I guess if more than one person dies and they're all Tanners, they all win?

I suspect the other players would be pretty sad if that happened. (-8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Widbin
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@camilo

Thank you for the thorough notes! I want this to be as accurate as possible so thanks for the feedback. I am away from home so I can't look at rules but I will when I get back.

Love interest: if that is the correct rule then our group had been playing wrong for a long time. Thank you for the clarification!

Doppelgänger: will update

Apprentice tanner: will update

Tanner win: in the documents made by Ted it spells out the fact that a tanner death means only they win, even if conditions are met for other people (such as a wolf also dying. The villagers still lose)

Lone minion: not sure what scenario you are referring to but I'm sure there is one. The main thing with this document is that it covers things at as high a level as possible. There just isn't space to cover edge cases.

Formatting: will correct

Omissions: artifacts was a mistake. I will figure out a way to implement the other tokens. The length of the PI limited what could be said. I couldn't come up with a way to grammatically explain it while stick to the same number of lines. Shield effect I will find a way to work in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Widbin
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
widbinjd wrote:

Hmm. It's never come up for us, but I guess if more than one person dies and they're all Tanners, they all win?

I suspect the other players would be pretty sad if that happened. (-8

Correct. Example: doppelgänger looks at the tanner. They are both tanners. If they both happen to get the most votes and both die then they both win. If however only one of them dies, then the one who died wins alone.

Also the tanner win 'trump' can be found clearly stated on the references Ted had uploaded a long time ago. It says that the tanner (if active) must survive for anyone to be able to meet their win condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
widbinjd wrote:
Tanner win: in the documents made by Ted it spells out the fact that a tanner death means only they win, even if conditions are met for other people (such as a wolf also dying. The villagers still lose)

Not in the published rules:

Quote:
The Tanner only wins if he dies. If the Tanner dies and no Werewolves die, the Werewolves do not win. If the Tanner dies and a Werewolf also dies, the village team wins too. The Tanner is considered a member of the village (but is not on their team), so if the Tanner dies when all werewolves are in the center, the village team loses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
widbinjd wrote:
Also the tanner win 'trump' can be found clearly stated on the references Ted had uploaded a long time ago. It says that the tanner (if active) must survive for anyone to be able to meet their win condition.

I wonder if you're confused by this line?

Quote:
If no player is a Werewolf, the Village Team only wins if nobody (not even the Tanner or Minion) dies.

Whereas the Werewolf win condition explicitly says:

Quote:
If the Tanner is in play, the Werewolf Team wins if no Werewolves die and the Tanner is still alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Widbin
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheep wrote:
widbinjd wrote:

Not in the published rules:

Quote:
The Tanner only wins if he dies. If the Tanner dies and no Werewolves die, the Werewolves do not win. If the Tanner dies and a Werewolf also dies, the village team wins too. The Tanner is considered a member of the village (but is not on their team), so if the Tanner dies when all werewolves are in the center, the village team loses.

Yep...I feel really dumb and that is another one that our group has gotten wrong for a while. Thought I don't know if we have had both a tanner and wolf die at the same time. Thank you for the clarification. Will definitely have that revision in the next version

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camilo North
msg tools
I re-read the Squire and Minion win conditions. If they are alone, they're both stated to win "as long as one other player (not the [thing that they are]) dies." Indications (e.g. the description of Epic Battles, which brings up that they don't count as werewolves) is that they still don't count as werewolves in this scenario, so the village still wants to keep everyone alive (INCLUDING the Minion/Squire) if these are in the game without actual werewolves.

It's not immediately apparent how or whether the Tanner affects the Minion/Squire win condition in this case. My inclination is to say it does not, as the Tanner is stated to prevent the victory of the "Werewolves" (Tanner description) and the "werewolf team" (Cudgel of the Tanner description), neither of which ought to include the Minion/Squire if they are alone.

Oddly, I can't find any rule in the books I have stating or implying that the Tanner victory prevents a Vampire victory. The Tanner is not discussed in Vampire's Special Cases section, and the earlier games only make reference to the Tanner victory trumping "werewolf" victory. Therefore, a purely literal read of the rules indicates that the Vampires don't need to keep the Tanner alive. This seems like it may be an oversight in the rule text rather than an intentional design decision, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this in one of your other threads but you never responded, so I am reposting it here:

One mistake I found, you mention on Renfield that he is a villager if no one is a werewolf. It should be if no one is a vampire.

Otherwise, this is awesome, I just played this again on Monday night and on Tuesday was looking through the files for a reference like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Widbin
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Must have missed that thread. Thank you. There are a lot of revisions to be made so I am going to do that with the next upload. I will also be uploading a word doc version (if I can shrink the size) so that people can make their own edits as desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Snertz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The word version would be great. I don't plan to get Vampire but I'd love a single sheet that includes all the Werewolf stuff. Thanks for doing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo van Kreveld
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
The win condition of the Apprentice Assassin says: "Only wins if the Assassin dies".
This should be: "Only wins if the target of the assassin dies", right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Widbin
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivo1994 wrote:
The win condition of the Apprentice Assassin says: "Only wins if the Assassin dies".
This should be: "Only wins if the target of the assassin dies", right?

If both the apprentice assassin and assassin are in the game, the apprentice wants the assassin to be killed in order to win (similar to apprentice tanner)

If the apprentice assassin does not see the assassin then he becomes the assassin indirectly and takes its respective actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.