Jonathan Webb
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
I only actually just came across this playing the Lilybaeum scenario but basically both sides advanced their skirmish line so they were adjacent and in each other's ZOCs. Because there was only one vacant space between each skirmisher in each side's line, this meant the Epirote player could not hope to advance with his two-hex phalanx units. The Epirote phalanx units cannot go through their own skirmishers (only the other way around is allowed in stacking limits) and cannot fit between them to shock attack the Carthaginian skirmishers. The Epirote player resorted to bringing a leader and a HC unit from the right wing to try and clear the Carthaginian skirmisher units out, and then move the Epirote skirmishers out of the way.

To me, it seems pretty ridiculous and ahistorical that one's own skirmisher screen tasked with screening and protecting the phalanx would block the phalanx's advance.

In future, I guess I would move the entire skirmish line out to the side to prevent something similar happening but I feel there should be some sort of rule preventing this. I have already posted once about skirmishers being way too effective in slowing the enemy advance and got some great feedback on house rules players use to prevent this.

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas on this? I have thought of allowing the phalanx to advance into their own skirmisher units and "displace" them, basically allowing the skirmishers to be removed and the phalanx units taking their place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monte Pemberton
msg tools
You can get your skirmishers behind your two-hex unit line.

6.92: "If either the moving or stationary units are Phalanx or Heavy Infantry voluntary stacking is prohibited with the exception that Skirmishers may voluntarily move through a Phalanx or Heavy Infantry unit."

edit: I see you've noted that point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobrukker
United States
flag msg tools
From my last comment to your previous thread:

Quote:
There is also the situation where enemy SK are stuck in friendly SK ZOCs, your choice whether to allow/make them OW, or perhaps instead auto-rout, when the heavies approach, OR to make the heavies fight them per the rules as written since they can't normally OW. Just a heads up.

I empathize with your concerns of SK ahistorical usage in GBOH. They seem underdeveloped by the designers, especially regarding commands and potential disruption of the enemy out of proportion of their historical ability, when played by savvy players.

One other option to the previously suggested, would be to just remove both SKs stuck in mutual ZOCs from the map without adding to the Rout total when non-SK infantry approach. Most likely at that point they both probably just withdrew behind their respective lines, having done their job. Being few and dispersed to begin with, their impediment to friendly troops would seem to be almost nil anyway. Leaving them on the board just results in aggravation for us players that historical commanders didn't suffer with(having units go around SK units). IMO, Using them to hunt down Routed units seems really ahistorical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.