Subject: 11x17 color laser printer w/ duplex for $100 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
So tempted to buy this locally:

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/sop/5849330835.html

comes with no toner cartridges. Looked up cost of 4 pack (toner/cart) and it's about $140 on ebay from a reputable supplier. 12,000 prints at 5% (about 4 times the amount of prints I get with set of 4 color toner cart/drums for my other 8.5x11).

What do you think? Anyone use this printer? the Color Laserjet HP 5550.

Having 11x17 capability (with duplex even) would be nice for game manuals, making my own books with signatures, etc..

11x17 would be nice for box covers and game boards as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Laser Jets often have imaging units in them with a fixed number of pages before they shut off permanently. 50,000 is a common number. It might be worth looking this one up to see if that is the case.

Looks like a nice grab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do they have any prints they can show you when it was in use?

I cannot speak to that specific model, but the 5550dn model in that line was a great printer where I worked previously. The library that bought it is still using it.

Sharp, brilliant color, cartridges that lasted quite a while. The machine was a workhorse. We were using it with its optional trays that allowed us to keep letter size, legal size, and tabloid size available at all times. Our usage was light-medium, and we experienced no troubles in the 6 years I was there.

I am reminded that the magenta cartridges always leaked a bit on the inside of the printer, leaving wispy smudges of magenta on interior covers and such. It never affected print quality, or other
mechanisms. Perhaps the toner was of a finer grain? I never found out.

The only negatives I encountered were these:

1. HP's "Pantone equivalent" color matching software (built in) was close, but never that exact.

2. If you printed on cardstock with the intent to fold it (such as making a tuck box) then the ink coverage tended to crack at the folds. There may be a way to alleviate this with a bone folder first, but I never tried it back then.

If it's functional and not being sold due to unaddressed issues, it should be great. Very good find!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Laser Jets often have imaging units in them with a fixed number of pages before they shut off permanently. 50,000 is a common number. It might be worth looking this one up to see if that is the case.

On that note, I would assume that:

Quote:
Black 0%, Cyan 0%, Magenta 0%, Yellow 0%, Transfer Kit 89%, Fuser Kit 94%

means that there's 0% life left in the various toner colours, 89% life left in the imager, and 94% life left in the fuser. But I'd also check with the seller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

That very well may be what HP calls it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
I thought the imaging drums were built into the toner carts for this printer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
boardgamegeekess wrote:
I thought the imaging drums were built into the toner carts for this printer.

It looks to me like the part which is one "imaging unit" in the average laser printer is split into two separate parts on this printer. Purely from images of the parts involved, it looks like the drums that deliver toner are built into the toner cartridges, and the imager (that part which receives the laser to build up the image as an electrostatic charge) is what they call the "transfer kit". If I had to guess, I'd say the drums will most likely be fairly simple components that have a coating that either picks up the electrostatic charge from the imager and rolls it around to pick up toner on the opposite side before transferring it to the paper, or more likely just picks up toner evenly across the width of the drum but doesn't hold it strongly enough to resist the charge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
Looks like the xfer kit for this printer is $150.

If it lasts 50,000 prints, tha's only 1/3rd of a cent per page. That's not bad at all. But it looks like the xfer kit in it is good.

I'd just need to buy the set of toner cartridges, or at least the black and bring it to the person selling it and try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartridges are the real cost in these units.

Price those out, paying attention to the expected page count, though don't expect that many pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.