Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Preischel
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
On page 10 of the English rules under "Scoring" the first way to earn victory points is written:
"For each of a player's provinces - 1 victory point (VP.)"
Is the "-" in the rulebook a dash (simply separating the first part of the sentence from the second so the provinces are worth 1 point each) or is it a negative sign (meaning each province is worth minus one point)?

The rest of the modes of scoring are written with a series of dots between the feature being scored and the number of points it's worth (ex: For each building.................1 VP.) but the first contains no dots. Only a dash or a negative sign, depending on the answer to my question.

I know this is basic but I want to have the answer before our first game tomorrow. Thanks.

Phollower

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Each province is worth one point. Have fun! This is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Humphreys
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game last night and we were also under the impression "that each of a player's provinces - 1 victory point (VP.)" as it appears to suggest in the rules.
After the first year i was winning with a score of '2' We began to get suspicious when we noticed the scoring track went up to 80 and that losing provinces during winter revolts was beneficial to your score

I never thought that punctuation would decide the fate of feudal Japan...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Gas
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
thats an interesting misprint (it is obviously nonsense)
to set all doubts aside: in the german version of the manual there is only the series of dots:
Quote:

Jede eigene Provinz ..........1.Siegpunkt (SP.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Groves
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumb and dumber! i remember reading this posting when it came out but didn't have Shogun so filed it under "I don't know what they mean but I'm sure we won't make this mistake" in my memory. Well, we finally played this yesterday and used the "provinces are worth -1" variant with a similar scoring to Vickers. It actually turned out a rather good game but the scoring track was too big for these rules, which is why we checked the geek today, and expansion was very costly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hathaway
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
If they had made it a proper dash, which is longer than a hypen/minus sign, fewer people would be getting confused. Who says proper punctuation is unimportant?
This is a bit off topic, but in a lot of rules these days I see phrases like "The player places their cubes...". Are publishers so afraid to use a masculine or feminine pronoun that they would rather just use bad english?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"They" and "their" have been used as a singular, gender-neutral pronoun in English for hundreds of years. It was perfectly acceptable until about the 18th century and now is becoming standard English again:

http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/linghebr/austheir.html

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/genpr.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender-neutral_pronoun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.