Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Diary Affect Timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Seglem
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
If an ally which causes health to be gained is played while the diary is out which affect happens first? When the player is at 1 health the order really matters. If the Diary resolves first, then the player is stunned and the ally does not help. If the ally resolves first then the player avoids the stun. I was interpreting it where, when you play a card, any outside trigger resolve before it resolves. Like the stack in MTG, but my wife was very unhappy with that interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The majority of the rule clarifications that have come down from Andrew have worked against the players, so I am inclined to say that the diary triggers before the ally. Similarly, a recent post that clarified order of resolution of cards put Horcruxes above player cards.

The only saving grace I can offer you in this situation is that you only lose half the cards in your hand when you are stunned. Cards in the play area do not factor into your discard requirements. There have been a couple of times when I was willing to accept the penalty of being stunned in order to play an ally, so the trick in these situations is to play all of your other cards first and then play the card that will stun you. You still have to drop a control token, but you dodge the discard penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Seglem
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Right, timing the stun is important. So play all the other cards possible first to avoid the discard penalty. I think she had done that and it came down to the next move was going to cause her damage, no matter what she did, she just hoped to avoid the stun by healing with an ally. I didn't think she could, but wanted to get additional input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Vista
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
The majority of the rule clarifications that have come down from Andrew have worked against the players, so I am inclined to say that the diary triggers before the ally. Similarly, a recent post that clarified order of resolution of cards put Horcruxes above player cards.

The only saving grace I can offer you in this situation is that you only lose half the cards in your hand when you are stunned. Cards in the play area do not factor into your discard requirements. There have been a couple of times when I was willing to accept the penalty of being stunned in order to play an ally, so the trick in these situations is to play all of your other cards first and then play the card that will stun you. You still have to drop a control token, but you dodge the discard penalty.
That is correct. The Diary trigger would cause the Hero to be stunned before the Ally's abilities resolve, but at least you can play out your cards in hand so you don't have to suffer the discard effects of being stunned. There have been occasions where it was advantageous to get Stunned on your turn instead of waiting until another players turn, to soften the blow a bit :)

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruby & Karla
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi there and thanks for the info about the Diary affect timing!
I have another related question (pardon me if this has been answered elsewhere):
If I've been stunned (due to dark arts, villains, etc) and the Diary is out, am I still allowed to play Allies? Or because I don't have hearts to lose, can I not play Allies during my turn?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BeautyAndTheBeast wrote:
Hi there and thanks for the info about the Diary affect timing!
I have another related question (pardon me if this has been answered elsewhere):
If I've been stunned (due to dark arts, villains, etc) and the Diary is out, am I still allowed to play Allies? Or because I don't have hearts to lose, can I not play Allies during my turn?
Thanks!
given the wording on the Diary, I'd say that Allies can be played, even when stunned. The playing of an Ally triggers damage/health-loss, but since you are stunned, that doesn't matter.

Now if it was worded something like "In order to play an Ally, Hero must lose 2 hearts", then that would prevent Allies from being played while stunned, since the hero would be unable to lose the two hearts. But that is not how it is worded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am inclined to agree with Jay. First, because this is the general rule in most board games. Something has to be presented as a "cost" in order for it to be mandatory, and there is nothing on the Diary wording to indicate that it is cost based. Second, without spoiling, there is an effect in Monster Box that Andrew has clarified has a "cost like" trigger, but the wording on the diary is nothing like what is on that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Y
United States
California
flag msg tools
Sorry, I missed this thread but I'm going to post my question from another thread here.

Quote:

We ran into a situation where a
Spoiler (click to reveal)
horcrux, the diary, which deals damage for playing allies, and the potions proficiency, which heals a heart
were both going to be activated when an ally was played.

The player was at 1 heart, so the horcrux damage would have stunned the player. Which should be played first, the proficiency so the player gains the heart, so goes up to 2, then the horcrux deals the damage, brings the player back to 1, or stun the player and nothing happens and just collect the thunderbolt from the potions proficiency.

Thanks.
So the answer another member gave us was that we get stunned. Ok, so we resolve that and the diary.

Do we then still get the thunderbolt when
resolving the potions card after, or is that thunderbolt lost in the stun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yuttam wrote:
So the answer another member gave us was that we get stunned. Ok, so we resolve that and the diary.

Do we then still get the thunderbolt when
resolving the potions card after, or is that thunderbolt lost in the stun?
If you don't get the heart until after you take damage from the diary (which then stuns you), then you wouldn't get the thunderbolt until after the stun, which means you don't have to discard it.

which if the answer you quoted is true it would go like this:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
- play the ally
-- the playing of the ally triggers damage from the Diary, which is processed first
--- if the damage stuns you, you then discard all unassigned attacks and influence, half your hand, and add a location control token
-- then you gain the benefits from potions (assuming a spell and an item were already played prior to the Ally), awarding you an attack and a heart (though the heart doesn't do any good, since you can't gain health when stunned)
- finally, you gain the effects from the Ally card itself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls