Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
We were fans of Ticket to Ride when it first came out, so there was much rejoicing when we heard news of a sequel. I was even more excited when I head there were some new rules as well. I was really excited when my friends bought it so I could play without shelling out my hard-earned cash...

I won't waste your time explaining how to play the Spiel des Jahres award-winning game Ticket to Ride, except to say that it's basically a rummy-style set collecting game with secret objectives thrown into the mix. What TTR:E brings to the table on top of the base game is a different story:

There are several rules changes in TTR:E. They are as follows:

1) At the beginning of the game, tickets are divided up so everyone start with one "long" ticket and three "short" tickets. This help put everyone on an even footing at the start.

2) Ferries: these are special routes that require engines. They are clearly marked on the board.

3) Tunnels: these routes are a special case. When you want to build a tunnel, you declare what color it is ("I'm building a red tunnel now.") and turn over the next three cards in the deck. If you turn up any red cards or engines, you have to produce that many extra cards for your route or you lose your turn.

4) Stations: these let you "borrow" someone else's connection in order to complete a destination card. If you don't use all your stations at the end, you get extra points.

The game was fun, the components were beautiful, buy my major problem with the game is that I feel that it's not a good value for the money, since I already own the original. If I were to buy it, I'd have to pay a pretty hefty chunk of change for a new board, a handful of station tokens, and new destination cards. I already have everything else I need to play -- a big pile of trains, and a deck of cards. If this had been offered as an "expansion pack" for those that had the base game (like with Power Grid) I'd consider this a must buy. As it is, I'm hard pressed to spend that much money.

In conclusion, I think TTR:E adds quite a few interesting refinements on the original, including the chance aspect of the tunnels and the help of the stations, but I don't consider it a "must buy" if you have the original. (My rating: 8, I like to play it but I'll never buy it for myself.))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I always wandered why they didn't just ship the new board, stations and routes instead of the whole thing which takes more place and basically doubles the components you have.

Oh wait, I DO know. To make more money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls