United States
Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
We should take Bikini Bottom
badge
and push it somewhere else
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend is currently in Germany, and he was going to pick up a board game for me. I would like to have a German only board game added to my collection, any good suggestions for easily accessable games he can pick up?

I really enjoy mid-weight to heavy euros (Stefan Feld, Martin Wallace, and Vital Lacerda being my favorite designers) , but also like more streamlined shorter games, like TTR, 7 Wonders, Seasons.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated! Thanks!

PS. I'm in the US, and speak English and Spanish for reference on games that require to know the language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Keltis Card Game and Palaces of Carrara when I was there.

Obviously Keltis isn't a mid-weight Euro, but it 5 euro, and a nice card game to break out for non-gamer friends and family.

Palaces is a solid medium weight euro. You would probably need to do paste ups for the cards though. It was 50 euro at a department store, and only 20! on Amazon.de (had it shipped 2-day to my brother-in-law's house for 5 euro).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably not the most educated to answer this question but I do have a few import games that are the German editions and they turned out to be some of my favourite games.

Glen More
Thurn and Taxis
Palaces of Carrara
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chundar wrote:

Obviously Keltis isn't a mid-weight Euro, but it 5 euro, and a nice card game to break out for non-gamer friends and family.

Keltis is based off the board game with the same name. Same principle but a bit more play depth. That might be worth a look.

Also, if you don't have the english version (Hoity Toity), "Adel Verpflichtet" by Klaus Teuber (of Settlers of Catan fame) could be worth looking in to. iirc, the board and cards don't need much translation.

Edit: Oooh,and if you can get your hands on it, definitely try Lemming-Mafia. It's hilarious, has simple rules but a deep strategy, and the minis are adorkable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Anno Domini?

It's a card game about knowledge and bluffing, quite popular in Germany, and as far as I know, no english version exists.

It's no euro or strategy game or something, but it's very entertaining nonetheless. There are lots and lots of editions of it with a different focus.

The aim of the game is to get rid of all cards on your hand. The cards on your hand state events or people, such as "invention of the speedometer" or "first recognized female dentist".

In the center of the table. The player whose turn it is has two options:
1) He plays a card next to one on the table. If it's above another card, the player states that it happened more recently. If it's below the card, the player states that it happened earlier.
2) The player claims that the timeline of cards on the table is incorrect. The cards are then turned over, the dates checked. If the timeline is correct, and the doubting player was wrong, he gets punished by having to draw cards. If he was right, and the timeline is incorrect, the last player who put down a card gets punished by having to draw cards.

The fun part is that you don't have to know all of that. If there are two cards in the center, one stating "first human on the moon" and the other "first pyramids in Europe" then I can safely play some card relating to an opera in between the two, stating that the opera was created somewhere between the moon landing and the first pyramids.

At other times, bluffing works. If you have a very hard to place card, you can still pretend to know it, assuming that the other players don't know either.

There is also a strategic element here. Such as: if you correctly doubt a timeline, you reset the timeline. That makes it much easier for the player who comes after you to play his card. And if that player is in the lead, you don't want that.

So, it's a funny and cute game, and has no english version as far as I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anno is a blast to play, true. But the texts on the cards are in german.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
Anno is a blast to play, true. But the texts on the cards are in german.

Right, sorry, got the "german only" part wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lennart K.
Germany
flag msg tools
Maybe Jäger und Späher. It's only 2 p but minor language dependence and english card paste ups and rules are available here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.