Subject: Corner Case: Rolling a Crit using a Feat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Goerlitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I just want to say thanks to the designers of this game. Downloaded the PnP yesterday, and I had incredible fun with my first game.

I've hit a fairly unlikely case that I would be interested in clarifying. Scenario:
Level 4, Health 4, Rank 3, 2 armor
Facing a monster which has 12 health, deals 8 damage, so I will die if it hits me once. I roll 2 misses and a 6 on my first attack. The 6 rerolls into another miss (rerolling was a bad choice, but we could also assume 3 natural misses to get to the corner case). I decide to use a feat to reroll one die and get a 6.

At this point, am I required to choose to reroll the 6 before performing my second feat?

This case would be most important if the combination of health and XP is such that you can only perform 2 feats (a 3rd feat either loses the 3rd die or kills the hero).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Brian,
Here is the answer to your question:
You are not required to choose to reroll the 6 before performing a second Feat.

Here is the exact rule from the Feats section:
Quote:
You don’t have to execute multiple Feats reroll all at once; you may always look at the result of a single rerolled die before choosing to perform another Feat.

Thanks for the kind words about our small game! We really appreciate it and I'm glad you're having a good time. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Goerlitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer Gabriel!

I don't think that rule quote really clarifies this situation on its own, which is why I was confused. Maybe a better general question that could be answered in a rule would be, if the player chooses to execute one feat, do they have to fully resolve that roll before choosing to execute another feat? Fully resolving would mean choosing whether or not to reroll a six from the first feat.

"Look at the result of a single rerolled die" might be ambiguous in the case of a 6. Is the result the 6 or the 6 + the reroll (if chosen)?

I'm not trying to argue your answer, by the way. Just hoping to provide some constructive feedback that could help improve the final version of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brian,
You're absolutely right! Rereading my answer it doesn't really cover that case... Thanks for pointing that out! Sometimes what's in your head is different than the words used in the rules. cry

I'll be editing them to reflect this edge case! Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.