Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is not enough detail here for a session report. I'm just posting this to get a record of the session into my blog.

5/14/2007, 8:30 p.m.
Present: Darin (KentuckyKid), Aaron (WonderCinz), Josh (Glamorous Mucus), Michael (CortexBomb), Matt (spielgeekfanatisch)

Parlay: A fun "word game meets poker" sort of game. Darin won by having a couple of really big rounds early on. Josh tried to convince us that "BIRDY" was a word, and was successfully challenged.

Princes of Florence: A tense and close 5 player game. Darin and Michael end up tied for the win, with everyone else close behind. (We didn't employ the "most money" tie-breaker. Why not just share the love?)

Matt had to leave -- the rest of us decided to play Tichu then Power Grid, even though it is already past midnight.

Tichu: Josh/Darin vs. Michael/Aaron. Josh and Darin win, thanks in part to a successful Grand Tichu call by Josh. This is Darin's first Tichu win in several tries.

Power Grid (Great Britain): A fun map, but seemingly-overpowered natural gas plants. Aaron builds a natural gas empire, and begins to run off and leave the mere coal- and oil-burners. In the last turn, Aaron had 12 capacity and Darin 13 -- Josh and Michael had a little less. Darin elects to buy a plant to increase his capacity to 16, but this is a mistake. Due to the high cost of resources, especially coal, Darin finds that he can't afford to build up to 12 cities on the board. Aaron builds out to 17 cities, powers 12, and wins. [I think I would still have lost had I not made the last-round mistake, but it would have taken one more turn, at least. Because of the scarcity of coal, I probably would have only lit 5 cities that turn, and that would have left me with only around 70 Electro to a) build several cities, b) buy (scarce) resources, and c) increase my capacity to compete with others, assuming they increased capacity, which seemed likely.]

A fun evening of games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls