Subject: Original version with a non random option? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eldar Closer
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I've heard about an early version that included a non-random option.
I would like to find it, as I'm currently investigating non-random wargames that can be played using miniatures.
Any pointer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tweakston
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I printed a set of rules from an on-line source years ago. It credits William L. Banks as the game designer and Michael P. Nagel for web edition production.

Briefly, for melee combat the odds determine the outcome. So, 3-1 is a DE, 2-1 a DD, 1-1 an M, and 1-2 is an AD. For missile fire, declare the source and target of all attacks, add up the required die rolls, divide by six, and round off to determine the number of hits.

Though I appreciate the intent of keeping the game rules simple, much is lost by playing this way. For example, a horde of barbarians is unable to employ a strategy of attrition against a few heavy infantry since 1-2 attacks fail every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eldar Closer
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you use dice rolls, even averaging, you still have a strong random factor?
In Arcane Warfare Excel miniature rules a new engine using hidden combat strength allows for a satisfying non random game, that is a mix of Stratego boardgame and a bluff game: unclassified.
I am mostly looking for miniature wargames that use non random technics and are still playable 2p games.
Boardgames heading into the same direction are also interesting in order to understand the design evolution.
Someone suggested that the original Ancients rules had some variant without randomizers, i.e. without dice. Do you know if this is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
From the web-release version:

Page 8 wrote:

5.13 Luck-Free Combat
For those who wish a more "Chess-Like" game, or just
want to test new strategies quickly, an alternative
combat resolution is offered.

In melee combat, calculate the odds as before. Apply
the following results with no die roll:

Odds = Results
--------------
1-2 = AD
1-1 = M
2-1 = DD
3-1 = DE

In missile fire, declare all firing units and their targets.
Now add together all the die roll ranges. Divide by six
and round up if the remainder is four or more. This is
the number of units that successfully hit their targets.

Example: Two units have die roll ranges of 1-3 to hit
and one has 1-4. 3+3+4 = 10. 10/6 = 1, and a
remainder of four. This rounds up to 2. Two of the
units hit their targets (not one unit twice); owning player
chooses which unit is hit.

The game loses a lot like this, but it's still totally playable.

There are no diceless rules included for the naval combat section of the rules, but if you're focusing on land battles, then that shouldn't be a concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.