11 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Variants

Subject: Forbidden Ritual Variant - Save/Load/Checkpoint System rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
I like KD hard-perma-death system, it's one of the things that were a huge draw for me.

Having said that I have a very demanding job that sometimes prevents me from playing at all for weeks and weeks. Also my whole group is all like 35+ and we rarely have time to organize a session that lasts longer than one lantern year. This makes the time we can invest in the game very precious.

So if we have some bad luck and loose half a party and then draw Murder and then roll shitty on intimacy and because of this a Settlement that we have put all the free time we had last six months is doomed... well.. it sucks.

This kind of things are fun at the beginning when you experience it for the first time and you still learn the game, but then... eh... you just don't feel like starting all over yet again.

Because of this I wanted to develop some kind of checkpoint/save/load system that would prevent us from loosing months of progress because of extremely bad luck that is absolutely game breaking.

I also don't want to use the Hero Mode because it seems too easy if you never loose anyone. Also it creates "funny" situations when you prefer to be killed rather then loosing an eye or a leg. It's not what we want.

So I created this:

My ideas was to give an ability to load a game and redo last year again if it went really really bad.

The penalty might seem like not a big deal (-1 population) but for players with a little playtime available just a fact that you have to replay a whole year again is a setback of it's own, so it's not something we would use lightly every-time anything goes wrong.

I also gated it after first won Phoenix fight, because it seems thematic (time control) and prevents you from using it in those first few years of shaping your settlement, when you should not cry about every little survivor you lost.

I also added that you can't simply replay last year with the same hunt party, gear and monster. If you want an alternate outcome (different timeline in multiverse) you have to do something different.

This was introduced again to make it more thematic (you have to change something to get different result) but also to get you to evaluate your strategy. For example if you were slaughtered by Kings Man, don't just go there again hoping for better rolls. Try a different approach, change the gear, change the party member. Just don't play again and again untill you are lucky enough.

So. This is it. Any thoughts? Comments? Ideas? Also any tips on what font should I use or any grammar/spelling mistakes would be welcomed.

EDIT: changed card image to correct some spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Card looks good, though I think there might be a typo in the second part, "reinstal"? I think you mean "reinstate"?

I like the idea, it reminds me alot of Prince of Persia where after you die, the voice over goes, "Wait, no, it didn't happen like that..." or whatever and it just backs it up to before you died. It seems like it's that same idea here basically, no no you didn't actually get a Total Party Kill, you just somehow remembered that wrong. Actually these other people were out on a Hunt and..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
Card looks good, though I think there might be a typo in the second part, "reinstal"? I think you mean "reinstate"?

Oh yeah, I knew there is some "re-" word for what I meant. I've corrected the image. Thanks!

paddirn wrote:

I like the idea, it reminds me alot of Prince of Persia where after you die, the voice over goes, "Wait, no, it didn't happen like that..." or whatever and it just backs it up to before you died. It seems like it's that same idea here basically, no no you didn't actually get a Total Party Kill, you just somehow remembered that wrong. Actually these other people were out on a Hunt and..."

Yeah this is exactly what I'm aiming at, so you will have another shot at doing something instead of making game easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always liked the idea of a basically having a "checkpoint". So I could pick up a game from a certain point in the campaign depending on what experience I was looking for.

For me I think what I might rather do though is add a milestone event that could be triggered only once or twice during a campaign and it would cost something like 4 endeavors and some resources to record the settlements history. Essentially all it would do is ask you to copy the settlement sheet with all the current gear, survivors details etc. The record would be taken only after the resources are spent. And then only be allowed to "restart" from one of these history points if the population reaches zero or you are starting a new campaign.

If anyone hes ever played "Don't Starve" there was a similar mechanic in it. It was a rogue-like game, but you could spend time crafting the necessary items to create a ritual that would respawn you if you died, but only once, so if you wanted to do it again after the respawn you had to re-craft and perform the ritual again to create a new respawn. The difference was it did not go back in time, it just brought you back to life in the current state of the game.

Starting to get an idea, off to photoshop I go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
OK, I like the idea of extra cost and one time usability of the checkpoint. I will think about redoing The Forgotten Ritual a little

Looking forward to your version of the card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Sharkey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done card, and I like the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It should cost an endeavor. I know that it doesn't matter, as you are going to rewind the time, but it would be more thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurczaczekx wrote:
OK, I like the idea of extra cost and one time usability of the checkpoint. I will think about redoing The Forgotten Ritual a little

Ok, after much photoshop I think I'm happy with this. It's hard to do, and one shot each time you do it, but I figure it falls in line with the KDM style of difficulty. Perhaps not nearly as casual friendly, but here's my take on the idea. Thanks for the inspiration, was fun to work on.

High Res - for printing.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwU-FbmFDXnhclpCcTNiZXdMS1...

The basic idea is if you want to perform the "save" earlier before you can craft an almanac via regular means the sepulchre provides a costly and grim way to make one as well as the necessary ritual. But even the sepulchre innovation is gated behind 2 other innovations before it can be obtained. If however the settlement innovates enough to build the barber surgeon late game they can make almanacs for cheaper cost and less risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
ksiazekrzysztof wrote:
It should cost an endeavor. I know that it doesn't matter, as you are going to rewind the time, but it would be more thematic.

I wanted it to cost Endeavor, but the I remembered that after a TPK one can have 0 Endeavors (unless one has Graves), so this would make the whole Innovation unusable for Cannibilise Settlements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
Vonderbread wrote:

Ok, after much photoshop I think I'm happy with this. It's hard to do, and one shot each time you do it, but I figure it falls in line with the KDM style of difficulty. Perhaps not nearly as casual friendly, but here's my take on the idea. Thanks for the inspiration, was fun to work on.

High Res - for printing.

The basic idea is if you want to perform the "save" earlier before you can craft an almanac via regular means the sepulchre provides a costly and grim way to make one as well as the necessary ritual. But even the sepulchre innovation is gated behind 2 other innovations before it can be obtained. If however the settlement innovates enough to build the barber surgeon late game they can make almanacs for cheaper cost and less risk.

Very cool. A little too hard and punishing for what I'm trying to achieve, but very cool nonetheless and probably much more in line with the game difficulty. Will post my rework soon too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vonderbread wrote:
kurczaczekx wrote:

High Res - for printing.

Nice and the fluff is cool. It has a Slenderman taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.