Subject: A few questions during the first game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought this game, I'm really excited because it's the closest game I know to a tower defense.
But here are a few questions:

1-If I understand well, all ennemies in all the cases of the hero's patern are hit?

ANSWER: Nope, only one ennemy in each affected square (except for arcane)

2-What is the difference between paterns with an arrow or without it?
Are some arrows forgotten or is there a real difference?

ANSWER: None, consider all heroes to have an arrow.

3-Can all heroes turn around their pattern? For example, can the wizard hit a line in front of him in any direction, even if he has the power without the arrow?
ANSWER: Yes, they can.

4-How much gold does the spider steal?
ANSWER: One gold

5.1-The traps make special damages? They only hit the first ennemy?
5.2-If the assassin has arcane damage upgrade, how does the trap work?
ANSWER: The traps only hit the first ennemy and always make special damages only. The arcane upgrade only affect the heroes' attacks.

6-The huntress hits exactly one ennemy with her bow, not one square? Even with the arcane upgrade?
ANSWER: Same for the huntress, only one ennemy with special damages.

7-What's the benefit of having a special+arcane damages? It doesn't seem to change anything, since it doesn't hit the only physical and only spiritual ennemies...
ANSWER: Arcane means that all ennemies of the squares are affected.

8-When the last movement of the last wave is made, is it done? Or do you continue until no ennemy is left on the map?
With a 24 squares (in coop), it is unlikely any skeleton will ever reach the end of the track, even if it was spawned in wave 1 or 2.

ANSWER: Indeed, some ennemies won't make it to the end line. The game ends directly after the last ennemy movement phase. Note that future rules will take account of the number of ennemy still on the tracks at the end of the game to determine your level of success.

9-Last question: what am I missing? I've seen poeple saying the coop and solitaire mode are too easy. I'm far from winning those modes, even if I'm usually really good at this kind of game. What could be my mistakes?
I don't see how I could manage to kill the +/-10 ennemies spawning each round with only 2 starting heroes (in solo)...

ANSWER: Good question, ourselves, we find the game really challenging both solo and cooperative. Let's wayt other players input!

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buster Lehn
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Thibaud,

My apologies for taking so long to reply your questions!

1- I see that you already solved this doubt.

2- The arrows in the patterns can be ignored. Initially all characters would have them, but since all characters can turn around to face any direction with no movement cost, we decided that they weren't neccesary... but a couple of them slipped our corrections and remained in the design.

3- Yes, all the heroes can turn around and do their attacks in any direction they see fit.

4- The spider steals 1 coin when it escapes your map.

5.1- Yes, the trap does special damage, and only damages the first enemy that steps on it.
5.2 - Every special attack deals special damage, regardless of the upgrades to the hero. Your basic attack will be the one modified by the
upgrades.

6- Yes, the Huntress hits only one enemy with her ranged attack. As explained in the previous point, special attacks are not affected by attack upgrades.

7-I see you solved this one too.

8-The last movement of the last wave is the last of the game, there is no additional movement for any of the enemies. As you've noticed, not all enemies will always make it to the end of the path, it depends a lot on the movement dice rolls... but if you get high rolls, they will reach the end of the path.
For your information, we are currently working in a second edition of the game, where will include some new rules. I can't tell you much yet, but we are working to make the enemies left on the board count for the final scoring too.

9-To tell you the truth, we are a little surprised by the people saying that the solo and coop modes are easy... in the playtesting sessions, we didn't find those modes to be easy, but of course, I'm certain that there are some very talented players out there!
In our experience, the solo mode is slightly harder than the competitive mode; and depending on the map you play, so can be the cooperative mode.
Hopefully some other player of the game will come to enlighten us, because we have the same feeling as you.

I hope that my answers helped to clarify your doubts a little bit.

Thank you for playing Portal of Morth!

Buster Lehn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you a lot for your answers!
The answers are the one I was expecting, but better be sure!

Quote:
For your information, we are currently working in a second edition of the game, where will include some new rules. I can't tell you much yet, but we are working to make the enemies left on the board count for the final scoring too.

That's good news.
If there are some real changes in the second edition, I hope there will be a way to upgrade the first version!

I really like the game. Too bad I got one board missing, so I can only play one of the two coop game (but hopefully the missing board should arrive to my home).

Appart from that, I find the game really well balanced, with the exception of the hunter and the assassin. Their concept is awesome, but they are really weak compared to other choices.

The miner is nice: his power is good enough (appies to all ennemies passing on it), he already has an "improved pattern", and his average speed and strength make it a good choice.
The gnome is nice, too. His pattern is a little better than warrior, his strength is, in average, correct (2), and can be increased to an awesome D4+1 (2 to 5!), and he has a good speed.

On the other hand, you have the hunter and the assassin: speed 2 is little, especially for the assassin that should run to the other side of the board to put his mines. And that awefull strength 1! Their special power only adds a little 1 damage each turn (at best, because the assassin has trouble laying his mines on tracks with his sluggish movement). The way they level up is not that great either: Being able to put 3 mines on the field is useless, as you can only lay only one each turn, and you"re probably near the ennemy to deal a few more damages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.