Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
I'm on turn 7 of my 6'th game and I decided to do a quick victory check. I was pleased with how well I was doing but then I realized I was bombarding unrevealed units. I have no idea why I started doing this in my 6'th game and I am pretty sure I only did it on the North side beach hexes (Wh1 and North). It sure made it easier, but not overly easy. Personally, I don't understand why we can't barrage an unrevealed unit especially after it has attacked (so we know its there and should be able to barrage). Its pretty much what any good commander would do, barrage (bomb, arty)a position before attacking with infantry. I think in my next game I'm going to test this: Allow barrage on unrevealed units that project a field of fire onto a beach landing hex. I will probably play around with only allowing this if an infantry unit is adjacent to the target hex (maybe has to be undisrupted too?). Inland hexes, maybe only allow barrage of unrevealed units if thank is in field of fire and infantry adjacent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
for inland hexes:
maybe only allow barrage of unrevealed units if tank is in field of fire and infantry adjacent. I kind of like the idea that once an unrevealed unit attacks, it can be barraged, so I may add that to one of my tests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think your army is actually ignoring potential threats that are unrevealed. I just assume that my tanks are always firing, trying to find targets, just like my men are always shooting and doing things. But it's not until the unit is revealed that the attacks get anywhere close, and that's when you start drawing cards. Until then, your tanks are just shooting at noise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
mjacobsca wrote:
I don't think your army is actually ignoring potential threats that are unrevealed. I just assume that my tanks are always firing, trying to find targets, just like my men are always shooting and doing things. But it's not until the unit is revealed that the attacks get anywhere close, and that's when you start drawing cards. Until then, your tanks are just shooting at noise.

I see your point, but I should be able to direct their fire where I want my attacks.

I want to be clear since I didn't say this, but by NO means am I suggesting this game is broken. I'm having a lot of fun and I'm not the type that needs to win to have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Schnurr
United States
Oak Park
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not an expert, but the account I read of Peleliu repeatedly says how well hidden the Japanese were, that often the marines took fire and couldn't find the source. The US would blanket barrage, but it was largely ineffectual. The Japanese would just hunker down, or close their blast doors and return to their positions when the barrage lifted.

It took marines getting in close (often taking casualties) to pinpoint them enough for artillery to have a meaningful effect.

I'm guessing the barrage rules for DDAP are just reflecting that.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.