(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

I did some research on these 3 games:

...and want to see if the information I have gathered so far is correct. Note that my research was not too deep, so please correct me if I'm wrong, since I just watched 1-2 reviews on each game and one playthrough on Wrath of Ashardalon.

Castle Ravenloft is supposed to have the best scenarios.

Wrath of Ashardalon has the best (only ?) campaign.

Legend of Drizzt seems to be the easiest, introduces new concepts (PvP ?) but not all components seem to be compatible for using them with the other two games.

All games seem to be really light in terms of rules, as there are no rules for line of sight and the rules for enemy movement are very simplified. A few reviewers are hesitant to classify these games as dungeon crawlers, although from the outside I don't see why.

These games also seem to be quite minimalistic in terms of artworks, as there is none on the cards and the dungeon tiles also don't show any details.

I love dungeon crawlers, but I'm not sure if any of these games will turn out to be too simple and repetitive. From what I have seen, the way characters level up is quite strange (roll a 20, have 5 XPs in the XP pool) and limited (2 levels). Having said that, I like streamlined gameplay, which is why Shadows of Brimstone was not enjoyable at all to me, as the combat system is really boring, clunky and outdated.

I will be getting Mansions of Madness 2 next, but still, I finally want to make up my mind on these 3 D&D board games. Should I skip them or is there room for one of them on my shelf if I'm in the mood for some streamlined coop/solo dungeon crawling ? Might Gears of War even be the better option for that ?

TL;DR: I love dungeon crawlers and played a few before. Is there room for one of these 3 in my collection or should I skip this line of games entirely ?

Thanks for your opinions !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
In truth, these are really pretty blah and skippable as a whole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
In truth my opinion, these are really pretty blah and skippable as a whole.

FTFY, Paul!

Hi Kyur,

I have a rather mixed feeling on these games. I own all four (the three mentioned, as well as Temple of Elemental Evil), and while I feel a bit similarly to Paul on the matter of any individual game, after mashing up the best bits of the four, I think it's a terrific system. Lots of fun, tons of replayability, and the system itself is very easily modified and customized (with a slew of community generated material to extend the life of your game).

Having said that, I bought all of mine second hand or traded for them, so the money I sunk into them is a lot less than had I bought new.

I'd still recommend trying one, though I'd try before you buy. You may love the game! And you may looooooove the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Ravenloft and Drizzt and I would say your assessment is pretty accurate, though I can't speak to Ashardalon. I myself prefer the Ravenloft set because the setting and scenarios are cooler, but Drizzt seems to gave a little bit stronger heroes.

These are basically entry-level dungeon crawl games. There are some interesting decisions to be made in terms of where to go, and how/when to use your powers, but the heart of it is rolling a d20 against an armor class stat. Move, roll d20, repeat. There is really no character progression to speak of: leveling up is somewhat unlikely, and even if you do level up you basically just gain an extra power and an increased max HP that won't really matter because you can't heal as fast as you take damage. Some of the items you collect are kind of cool, but you can't keep them between missions.

All that said, I personally enjoy them. It's fun to have a rules-light hack and slash when you only want to commit about 90 minutes. But if you're looking for something immersive and compelling, keep looking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tbh I'd go with Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) and play it with the app for overlord.

I liked Ravenloft a lot so bought Drizzt and Temple too. half way through Ravenloft I got kinda tired of the mechanics and haven't touched em since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
These games are good to play with my daughter (simple), but not with my friends. If you want something simple they're fine, but if you want a heavy game they aren't the way to go. I'd only break it out with adults if I had a rough day and don't feel like thinking or caring all that much. This isn't to knock them, I think they're great for what they are, you just can't expect them to be what they aren't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game is the only one of the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games that features a campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Geosphere wrote:
In truth, these are really pretty blah and skippable as a whole.

Have to agree with this. I own Temple. I played the campaign from start to finish solo and it was fun at first and got boring really fast. Too repetitive and most of the missions in the campaign are pretty much the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nelag_macdahmer wrote:
tbh I'd go with Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) and play it with the app for overlord.

I liked Ravenloft a lot so bought Drizzt and Temple too. half way through Ravenloft I got kinda tired of the mechanics and haven't touched em since.

+1 For Descent.

I own all the D&D games, Descent and Shadows of Brimestone.

If you found the combat in SoB boring, you'll find the combat in the D&D system even more boring and generic. The biggest issue is the lack of character development, and the fact it's based on a simplified D&D 4th edition rule set which was the worst of the lot to begin with.

I would much rather play SoB over any of the D&D Adventure Boardgames, but with the App, Descent 2nd easily wins out over all of them (imo, and comparing from a coop point of view).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
I will be getting Mansions of Madness 2 next, but still, I finally want to make up my mind on these 3 D&D board games. Should I skip them or is there room for one of them on my shelf if I'm in the mood for some streamlined coop/solo dungeon crawling ? Might Gears of War even be the better option for that ?
Personally, I enjoy playing the D&D ADventure System board games, but's it's really quite straight-forward, simple dungeon-crawling fun.

Since you'll also be getting MoM2, forget about any of the other 'heavy-weights' like Descent, etc.

I'd say get Gears of War to complement MoM. It's great. (Doesn't have character progression, though...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback ! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.