$30.00
Philipp Eis
Germany
Dortmund
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks,

I wanted to hear your opinion about placing the first monument vs. placing the first Restaurant in Food Chain Magnate.

When I started playing FCM I heard "you can lose the game even with the initial placement!" and I was like "oh yeah, well, I don't think so, it's just the start, so many decisions will follow..".

After 50+ games on BoardGameCore I know: you actually can lose the game with a bad placement.

Now, after buying TGZ at Essen this year and 5 plays in we thought about the same yesterday: What's the meaning of the first placement? And we said: "It can't be that important, we can place a second one in the first round wherever we want!" So right now I tend to it's barely important, but I know it can't be..

But I'm not quite sure about that. I don't know many of the possible counters to gods or such things and I didn't read through the forum because I wanted to find these things out for myself. But the placement is really bothering me right now

So what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not the worst thing in the world to be last to place your first monument, although it could help. It's worth about a 1/2-zebu at worst - that's, of course, offset by the fact that the first player tends to win first player at the auction without spending a dime or, at worst, second player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Kenny Dorham || Trompeta Toccata || Whistle Stop || Una Mas
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rePhil wrote:
I don't know many of the possible counters to gods or such things and I didn't read through the forum because I wanted to find these things out for myself.

I understand and agree with that sentiment, which is why I avoid looking at threads in the Strategy folder. Speaking of which, wouldn't it make better sense for this discussion to take place there rather than in General?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's nearly as important as in FCM. Although I only played two games (3-player) of TGZ and we all pretty much sucked.
Of course, it's not a good move to select a spot which is far away from everything (3 player map). But apart from some really weird ressource distributions on the map, it really shouldn't matter that much.
Especially as you WILL build new monuments and are not stuck for a long time with your starting monuments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.