Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Fortney
United States
Evansville
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have any first impressions yet? Looking to purchase, but very wary of licensed games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played, but Beasts of War did a one hour long playthrough video with the designers a few months back.

Seemed like a fairly lack-lustre roll and move, roll and beat the card type of affair to me. The fact the game is packaged with the miniatures visible through a clear box front is pretty much a metaphor for what I imagine the main selling point of this game will be.

In short - looks like a pretty low decision, simple dice based game set in the world. Maybe if you have kids they'll enjoy it, and you'll enjoy the world it's set in? After getting excited about the minis, I'm sadly passing on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also some resource management. It does seem like it would be a bit repetitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
My girlfriend is a huge fan of the movie, and she was super excited to get ahold of it.

It's a roll and move with only a little bit of decision making and a dash of resource management. You will find times where you have to choose whether to face a known challenge or a new one. Moving and facing encounters as a group is interesting as well. It slows you down, but gives you a better chance to beat an encounter.

The miniatures are really nice, and I can't wait to get mine painted, and the goblin expansion looks really nice too. The board is quite nice as well.

In the end, it is a game for fans of the movie, designed by a true fan of the movie. Watch the play through, it's obvious the guy really loves the film. It won't get a lot of play, but I enjoyed it for what it is. It's light and easy to learn and probably great for kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Dueñas
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I played only once, but I thought it was terrible.

Talisman without the expansions has already not enough decision making for my taste, but this feels like a "Talisman lite"... and that means that there's barely a game in here. It's a shame, really, because I'm a HUGE fan of the movie.

Just my personal opinion, of course!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fortney
United States
Evansville
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you to all who replied! I believe I've decided to pass (not that it matters much, as it's sold out most places anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You think that's air you're breathing?
badge
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant That We Should voyage far.
mbmbmbmbmb
Who would of thought, a license does not make a game great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
derp wrote:
Who would of thought, a license does not make a game great.

Thankfully I think the days of licensed games being guaranteed garbage are long behind us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Games: Design 'em, rewrite 'em, play 'em!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this game and I like the strategy side of it which I discuss here. Unlike Talisman this is a co-op game and the cooperation choices are interesting and thematic. Its still aimed to a younger audience but heading on to 60 I still enjoy it. It's also fast to play through which the light strategy touches are good for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.