3 Posts

Alea Iacta Est» Forums » Rules

Subject: Retreat & Evasion Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray Gunn
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rule 8.4.1 states, " The defeated player must evacuate the zone under the same restrictions as for evasion attempts (see 8.2 Evasion). If retreat is impossible for any reason, all of his combat units and leaders are eliminated. . Example: A legion located in Graecia 2 cannot retreat into a zone of Thracia. "

If the defeated player fails his Evasion attempt are all his units eliminated?

The reason I ask is because it seems most likely that players will fail Evasion attempts and this means most defeated armies will be destroyed even though they may be large in number and never even suffered a loss during the battle if it was an RR result.

Perhaps the, "If retreat is impossible for any reason" is referring to available zones and not failed Evasion attempts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The quote "If retreat is impossible for any reason" refers to Retreat.
So when a retreat is impossible, all units and leaders are eliminated.

The reference to the Evade movement (before the combat begins) is to illustrate that the same conditions for a retreat applies. (did not check it), but that is what I remember.

If their is no zone without enemy units in it available you cannot retreat.
After an Evade you have to do combat.
After a combat result of Retreat your units are gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Gunn
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Carel for the quick reply. If I understand correctly, you're saying that the defeated army does not need to roll for Evasion, rather he just retreats using the same conditions as in Evading.

This makes a LOT of sense to me now as otherwise most defeated armies would be eliminated even if they suffered no losses.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.