8 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » General

Subject: Picked up a colleciton need some help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
I know the designer has mentioned keeping the arcs separate but what dose everyone else do? The reason I ask is I just picked up a complete collection including the latest expansion for relatively cheap. We know the base game pretty well but not sure how to tackle the expansions. We mainly play with two if that matters. Should we just play each expansion on it's own? which ones can be mixed together? Any help is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Officially you can play:

Base
Base + TGS
Base + TGS + RvI
Base + RvI (though TGS is recommended)
Base + TGS + RVI + BOW
Base + AA
Base + XI

TGS = The Gathering Storm
RVI = Rebel vs Imperium
BOW = The Brink of War
AA = Alien Artifacts
XI = Xeno Invasion

The first 3 expansions are arc 1, AA is arc 2, XI is arc 3 (which might get another expansion).

We have TGS, RVI, BOW, AA. BOW is unplayed - the others have all been played in the recommended formats.

You can do whatever you like but I'd recommend reading the designers thoughts on why mixing arcs 1 & 2 is a bad idea (most of which would apply to mixing arc 3 with the other arcs too):

Re: Mixing AA with the 1st Arc Expansions

If you want advice on mixing stuff then there are some threads in the variants forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardTogether wrote:
I know the designer has mentioned keeping the arcs separate but what dose everyone else do? The reason I ask is I just picked up a complete collection including the latest expansion for relatively cheap. We know the base game pretty well but not sure how to tackle the expansions. We mainly play with two if that matters. Should we just play each expansion on it's own? which ones can be mixed together? Any help is appreciated.

expansions are broken down by the following, with each arc being its own set (so in other words, don't mix arc 1 cards with arc 2, etc.):

For the "tick marks", see image below for example....

Arc 1
The Gathering Storm - 1 tick mark
Rebel Vs. Imperium - 2 tick marks
Brink Of War - 3 tick marks
(tick marks are all gray, like the horizontal line, and are at bottom left of the card)

Arc 2
Alien Artifacts - 1 yellow tick mark

Arc 3
Xeno Invasion - don't know, but it should be distinct from everything else.

For arc 1, you can use RvI without TGS. However, BoW requires the other 2.
Optional modules that you can add or remove include: Goals introduced in TGS. Takeover powers introduced in RvI.

For arc 2 and arc 3, you have the optional modules Orb Scenario and the Xeno invasion thing respectively.

If you have the time and plays, you can start from the beginning... TGS, then add expansions and optional modules as time goes on. Then pretty much just literally move down the line with the appropriate optional stuff added in.

You're free to mix arc cards, but keep in mind that it'll delve into variants territory (and should post in the Variants forums here as to keep things clear).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
If you have the time and plays, you can start from the beginning... TGS, then add expansions and optional modules as time goes on.

I'd probably play AA first then play arc 1, then arc 3. AA and TGS are both good as a first expansion but AA is set before TGS. That way you get a gradual build up in complexity (well except when you go from BOW to XI which should be a drop in complexity).

Oh, and play the base game a decent number of times first - it's fun and that way you get play all the base game cards more and then have the game feel fresh again each time you try a new expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:

I'd probably play AA first then play arc 1, then arc 3. AA and TGS are both good as a first expansion but AA is set before TGS. That way you get a gradual build up in complexity (well except when you go from BOW to XI which should be a drop in complexity).

Oh, and play the base game a decent number of times first - it's fun and that way you get play all the base game cards more and then have the game feel fresh again each time you try a new expansion.

From what I understood TGS is really a small expansion that "rounds" the base game, and as such can be played straight away (perhaps without goals) ?

Also, isn't Base+TGS simpler than Base + AA?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexFS wrote:
zabdiel wrote:

From what I understood TGS is really a small expansion that "rounds" the base game, and as such can be played straight away (perhaps without goals) ?

Also, isn't Base+TGS simpler than Base + AA?

Correct. I recall Tom mentioning that TGS w/o Goals is a suitable starting point for those new to Race. In fact, TGS even had a preset hand #5 for that purpose, whereas RvI and BoW didn't under the assumption that those players at those stages would be experienced

As far as TGS vs. AA goes.... the assumption is "all things equal", so no goals nor Orb Scenario respectively. In that light, BGG has their game weights at 2.75 vs. 2.90 in favor of TGS, but I'm not sure if that figure includes the optional stuff or not. I'd say they're equal enough, if not TGS being somewhat simpler. AA also has a preset hand #5.

With Goals and Orb Scenario... TGS is simpler by a kilometer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
AlexFS wrote:
isn't Base+TGS [without goals] simpler than Base + AA [without Orb]?

In my opinion (your mileage may vary), no.

Base+TGS includes the Alien Toy Shop, which when drawn with Earth's Lost Colony, most players find harder to deal with than its rough equivalent in AA, Galactic News Hub.

Base+TGS includes Improved Logistics, which alters game tempo a lot more than its rough equivalents in AA, Terraforming Project for non-military and Imperium Supply Convoy for military.

The AA cards are generally simpler to understand as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Arc 3
Xeno Invasion - don't know, but it should be distinct from everything else.

XI's tick mark is red, FYI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.