Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just about done implementing my AI player as far as infantry (still a lot more to do in general but I can play a full game like the training scenario in GP), just cleaning up the routing code last night and was wondering about this. In the rulebook it states that you do things in this order when routing:

For the routing player determine which counters for that player need to rout
For each one do a morale check (and handle an optional re-roll)
If they fail, do rout movement
after this determine if they are reduced/eliminated

What I'm wondering is, is the order of the movement and reduction/elimination necessary? I understand that you can't move a counter that has been eliminated, but why bother moving it if based on the roll it already did it which determined whether it will be eliminated or not.

Further complicating that is the following text from section 11.0 which mentions which Casualty Rating to use.

"They start in the same hex as an enemy unit or adjacent to an enemy unit not in Melee, in which case they use the first
number of the Casualty Rating if at full strength (or only
number if the unit is Reduced)"

So I'd have to tuck away where the counter started before moving to know which casualty rating to use.

Am I interpreting all of this right? And if so, why is the order this way? What game situations arise or are handled by doing it in this order instead of reduce/eliminate before moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mb
If they would be eliminated because of a high roll on a route check, they should be eliminated before moving.

Of course, it is more often the case that they will be eliminated when moving (if in melee).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I always do any Reduction before Rout movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.