Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kenrick822 wrote:
This is only my personal opinion - but when will game publisher's ever learn not to make linen cards with black boarders - ...

Probably never!

kenrick822 wrote:
My second gripe - is the annoyance of games being packaged in a box five time larger then necessary - this box is at least twice the size it needs to be - why - bigger box does not mean better game !!

Marketing tricks... Big boxes are easier to catch your eye...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
GeoMan wrote:
kenrick822 wrote:
My second gripe - is the annoyance of games being packaged in a box five time larger then necessary - this box is at least twice the size it needs to be - why - bigger box does not mean better game !!

Marketing tricks... Big boxes are easier to catch your eye...

Big boxes can make more sense than small ones, though, if the publisher would need to design a customized small box for one game. With identically sized games, the publisher can estimate costs better, package different games together, and yes, create more of a shelf presence. The needs of the publisher don't always line up with the wants of the purchaser. One look at the inside of the Tide of Iron box will make that clear to anyone.

Eric
Editor, http://www.BoardgameNews.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The needs of the publisher don't always line up with the wants of the purchaser.

Oversized boxes is a much bigger concern to me than black card borders.

cough... Gloria... cough... Mundi... cough, cough, cough!

I understand that boxes/inserts are standardized but some choices just do not make any sense other than to make the game appear more substantial than it really is, and the price more substantial that it should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Keen
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
www.punkzter.blogspot.com
badge
It's a horse. On a chair.
mbmbmbmbmb
What size are the cards? Will they fit into standard card sleeves without too much extra room?

Regarding box sizes, although I understand that some people do not like oversized boxes, I think that many of us like standard sized boxes. Personally, I am happy that this box will sit nicely next to my copy of mykerinos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
The nice thing about a bigger box is that the cards will still fit in the box after they have been sleeved. Sleeves can double the size of a deck and a box designed to hold an unsleeved deck will not be able to hold the sleeved deck. I haven't seen Caylus Magna Carta yet, but if the cards will need sleeves I'm glad the box will be big enough to hold them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Cards are standard size for playing card (produced by Carta Mundi).

Some of the reasons why we choosed a bigger box are exposed here, but not the most important : we had to put two punchboards in the box, and punchboard can't be folded. Of course it's possible to remove the pieces from the punchboard before putting them in the box, but the cost for this operation is too high...

Regards,
Cyril
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano Santuari
Italy
Trento
flag msg tools
mb
I usually use card sleeves, so I am disappointed when a game comes with "non-standard" card size... and yes, I think that a box should have the "right" dimension needed, and not four times the space. Even a "not large" boardgame collection takes a lot of space. Much more than cds, dvds, books, so the size of the boxes would not be excessive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
For me Magic doesn't mean "standard".

A "standard" deck of card is a regular one, with clubs, spades and everything

Regards,
Cyril
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karis wrote:

Even regular playing cards come in two "standard" sizes: poker (62×88 mm) and bridge (56×88 mm).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Well, i can't say why but Carta Mundi said those cards are standard size. Maybe it's just an european standard (for playing Belote for example).

Regards,
Cyril

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Franks
United Kingdom
St Blazey
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Ric. I understand the cost contraints in producing many different boxes. However I think the general box size should be reduced. This is based on the fact that this game in particular (and all the others in general) is most probably only going to be bought by a 'gamer'. And we all know that gamers tend to have loads too many games for their shelves!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karis wrote:
Well, i can't say why but Carta Mundi said those cards are standard size. Maybe it's just an european standard (for playing Belote for example).

Regards,
Cyril

It must be a difference between what is considered "standard" on the two continents. (Although maybe not as the Italian above also referred to them as non-standard). As stated above, in the U.S. playing cards primarily come in two sizes: the wider "poker" size playing cards which most here consider standard and the much less popular, but cheaper to purchase narrow "bridge" size cards. The "poker" size is also the size used for magic cards, most sports cards, and most card sleeves. While narrower "bridge" size sleeves are available they are almost always marketed as Yu Gi Oh sleeves containing horrible fantasy art on the sleeves as the the Japanese CCGs are also printed on the cheaper narrower cards.

It makes sense that Carta Mundi would call the narrower cards "standard" as they are a card manufacturer and the smaller bridge size cards are cheaper to produce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Karis wrote:

If sleeves were made to play Bridge or Poker, I'd appreciate more the choice of a "standard" format... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
ad unum: I for my part being a bagger and with the added components of the CMC-Expansion of the Ystari box am very glad that the box is the size it is.
ad secundum:
The punchboard argument is very strong and with the box much smaller than the Caylus one I will not even think about complaining.

ad tertium:
As long as the box is reasonably and standard sized it will go without problem with the others.

ad quartum:
I would really like to see and buy a medievalized CMC like the nice version of Caylus.

Thanks for a nice game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles CORDIER
France
MONTIGNY SUR ARMANCON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oversized boxes are not such a problem to me ; I quite prefer a "standard" box that I can pile up with other boxes I have, than an exotic small box that will never fit any space left on my shelves ... some boxes should be less thick, maybe ...

Anyway, as a wargamer, i need boxes able to fit the map ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wink
United States
Eagleville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind the black borders on cards, in fact I actually prefer them. A quick touch up with a black marker makes it an easy fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls