Above and Below» Forums » Rules

Subject: Plus sign (+) on different cards means different things? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Gardner
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
My group had about a 10 minute discussion about this and we did not come to a consensus. There are cards you can build which give you income. One such type has plus sign (+) next to a money and the rules say: "Income on card: If a player owns a card with this symbol she collects 1 extra coin at the end of each round." On another card, there appears a plus sign next to a money then the slash with goods under the slash and the rules state: "Income for goods: This card grants one additional income for each amethyst and ore token the player has in her advancement track."

Our question is, does the Income for goods card recur, or is it a one-time bonus on the round it is built? I argued that income is every round, but the language on the income on card specifically states "each round" and that language is not on the income for goods card.

I just thought of a second question, and that is do you have to have both goods, or do you get an extra money per good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The building triggers at the end of every round, when you are gaining income. With that building, you'll get +$1 for each of amethyst you have AND +$1 for each ore you have. So, if you have one of each on your advancement track, you'll get +$2 at the end of the round.

The actual quote from the book is this:
Rulebook, pg 15 wrote:
"This card grants you one income for each amethyst and one income for each ore that the player has in his advancement track."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gardner
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gardner
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Okay I was looking at the online version because I was at work. The book has the language you specify.

Why do you think that "each round" is specified in the Income on Card rule and not in the for goods rule? Is it just an oversight in the rule writing? We definitely have some very literal people in our group and in other games a difference like this would be significant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might just be an oversight in how the rules are written. We've always played that any +$ symbol applies to end of round income regardless of how that bonus is presented on the card. For example, the buildings that simply show +$1 will add to income each round, and we play all +$ cards the same way.

The hand symbol is used to designate an immediate one-time gain. I think if the card we're referencing was intended to be a one-time gain, the card would have the hand symbol instead of the +.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, welcome to BGG! If memory serves, an avatar costs 30 Geek Gold, so here you go...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gardner
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
The hand symbol! Yes. I think that cinches it for me. Also, WOW!! Thanks for the gold, Marty! You rock!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.