Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've only played the game solo as yet and am looking forward to playing a 4 handed game with friends. I've looked at the expansion play throughs on YT and haven't been very impressed with any except On the Brink which I have now ordered for Xmas. I like this because it is modular and can be used piecemeal to add interest to the game and make it more challenging. Can anyone add to this and give me reasons for trying out some of the other expansions? I'd love to hear of your personal experiences and assessment of each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
At the risk of being obvious, if the other expansions don't sound good to you, don't feel the need to get them! However, I will say I do like using the In The Lab board; it makes Pandemic a little more fiddly and adds more rules, but it changes up how you play and makes the game a bit more thematic. I also use On the Brink roles and Event Cards, but I find I rarely actually use the purple cubes and special epidemic cards because I find the base infections difficult enough for me (I'm not very good at Pandemic ). I personally don't like adding/removing modules, so I have no interest in the State of Emergency expansion. I only play Pandemic solo, so I also have no use for the modules that introduce competitive play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bcoot9 wrote:
I like this because it is modular and can be used piecemeal to add interest to the game and make it more challenging.

RE: The quote above - This is true of ALL of the expansions.

My order of preference:

1. On the Brink - Enriches the base game.

2. State of Emergency - some of the expansions are really hard, really makes some interesting changes to the base game.

3. In the Lab - Using the lab module results in a major change to the gameplay - interesting but really for your more hardcore pandemic audience. The other expansion content in this box is less interesting thatn OtB and SoE.

I considered OtB and SoE gold standards for expansions and wish other games had expansion content as good as these two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorites:

1- On the Brink: it's just "more Pandemic". Like Forbidden Lore for Eldritch Horror, I consider it the "basically should be part of the base game" expansion. It's that extra material that makes the original more complete.

2- State of Emergency: I adore the animal transmission challenge, it's my favorite way to play now.

3- In the Lab: The lab challenge is fun, but I prefer the animal one, and I feel like they are really too difficult if played together. So ItL has to come last for me, though it is quite good. I haven't played the team challenge or solo challenge either so apart from the new purple disease challenge there's not a lot of the content in there that grabs me directly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for these comments. Without knowing too much about it "In The Lab" seems to make too many changes for me and doesn't seem to have the spirit of the base game. I look forward to trying out "On the Brink" as all the comments I've seen are very favourable. I haven't looked at "State of Emergency" yet but it sounds like my sort of expansion with the ability to pick and choose from various modules. Off to have a look at this now on YT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your input Marina. I, too, have only played solo as yet - but isn't it a great game!!? I've got Onirim, Sylvion and Friday which I thought were good but this beats them all. Looking forward to giving Mage Knight a try too as so many gamers rave about it as a solo game. Bit pricey though - so will have to wait for a bit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I was not going to like In the Lab, but it revolutionized the game for me. ITL introduces some very nice strategic elements and deemphasizes the very gamey element of needing to get players together in certain cities to exchange cards. It does change the game significantly, but that change turned out to be a very good one, much to my surprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for that Damon. I shall look into it further when I've give the base game and OTB a good workout. I haven't even won with 4 Epidemic cards yet (solo game), but getting there .............

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.