Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Winnefeld
Germany
Hannover
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I am in another town for work, I like to meet up with the local game groups. Tonight, I went to another game night and I discovered a new species of geek: the "non gamer-gamer".

This particular game night exists for about one and a half years now, and there was a mix of regulars and newbies attending. The organizer was clearly the heaviest gamer of all of them - he was the type of guy who buys the Spiel des Jahres every year and brought along a couple of games. Dominion was one of them; most of the people thought the game looked much to complicated though, so we played other stuff. One of the new girls brought along Jenga. When I told the organizer that I also went to another game night in town with some heavy Euro gamers I met through the website Boardgamegeek, he had no idea what either of those was (he thought of tabletop miniature games and never heard of BGG).

I do not judge at all, mind you. Those were some really nice people and we had a lot of fun playing 6 nimmt!, Codenames and Jenga. I will have to adapt though if I'll join them again - Welcome to the Dungeon, which I brought as a light pub game, fell flat (no one was into the Fantasy theme, looked to complicated). It just amazes me how we have got so many BGGers playing stuff like The Castles of Burgundy once a week with their "non-gaming spouse" while there is this group of non-gamers by BGG standards who is meeting up with people they know through their shared interest in playing games in some pub every week. There are all kinds of gamers, I guess.

Edit: Typos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, at least they meet to play games

For me a more frustrating experience is the hard-core-non-gamer : he can play heavy games and will give you a run for your money, but he is not into boardgaming and almost never plays. Aaargh, so frustrating cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"et son bucher se change en trone dans les cieux."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would have been playing Jenga with the ladies. That's a no-brainer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey

North Dakota
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
that's...wow...I'm speechless. I guess I'm more judgey than you. That's just down right strange.

The part that gets me the most is grown adults (who should have the capacity to understand a half dozen rules) thought those games were too complicated. C'mon people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some (or most) board gamers cannot be satisfied. shake

What are you complaining about? Do you really think every person on this planet (and since recent times on Mars as well) likes to play (all types of) board games?

Try other games from your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Winnefeld
Germany
Hannover
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I was pretty clear I was not complaining. I was just amazed because I never met a group of regular gamers like that, and I thought I'd share this amazement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"et son bucher se change en trone dans les cieux."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
mattramsey wrote:
that's...wow...I'm speechless. I guess I'm more judgey than you. That's just down right strange.

The part that gets me the most is grown adults (who should have the capacity to understand a half dozen rules) thought those games were too complicated. C'mon people.

Dominion's rules are completely foreign to first-time players. There's no analog in mass-market games. Once you've played once you're set, but that first introduction is difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattramsey wrote:

Agreed. People meeting up in a pub to do something they enjoy? Totally weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattramsey wrote:

That's all relative though.

You think they're silly for thinking that Dominion looks complicated.

I think Eurogamers are silly for claiming that The Republic of Rome looks complicated.

And all the time the Advanced Squad Leader players look down from ahigh and snigger in their beards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gatekeeper86 wrote:
There are all kinds of gamers, I guess.

Yes. Yes there are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
like as not, "too complicated" means "don't want to", not "incapable of understanding".

sometimes you just want to have a beer and hang out--not learn how to do someone's taxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy W
Australia
Queensland
Brisbane
flag msg tools
gatekeeper86 wrote:
Whenever I am in another town for work, I like to meet up with the local game groups. Tonight, I went to another game night and I discovered a new species of geek: the "non gamer-gamer".

How do you find these local games groups? I have found a few on the internet but so far haven't actually attended any of these games groups events. I will one day but with a one year old getting away for a day can be tricky.

gatekeeper86 wrote:

There certainly are all sorts of gamers out there. I play with people at work who I would consider to be real gamers and like the sci-fi and fantasy references. Most games are fun to play with them although games like Dixit where I don't get a lot of the in-group references can be a little painful to play. I like to think of myself as a non-gamer gamer who prefers playing gamer games. Games have come a long way and there are so many great games out there. If the game is good I want to play it, no matter how difficult it is to play the first time but I don't care for fantasy or sci-fi references or anything of that nature in my game, but it doesn't detract for me either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ullrich

Cherry Hill
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gatekeeper86 wrote:
Tonight, I went to another game night and I discovered a new species of geek: the "non gamer-gamer".

My friend runs one of these groups, although maybe a little more advanced than the group you played with. They play games, but it is more of a social outing than anything else. The most complicated they ever get is Arkham Horror, but they butcher the rules.

Togmosis wrote:

How do you find these local games groups? I have found a few on the internet but so far haven't actually attended any of these games groups events. I will one day but with a one year old getting away for a day can be tricky.

Meetup dot com, search for games, board games, or open game night. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gatekeeper86 wrote:
...he had no idea what either of those was (he thought of tabletop miniature games and never heard of BGG).

Is there a German equivalent to BGG? I figured there might be since even now there are a good number of German-published games that are never translated to English or sold outside German-speaking countries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like one of the game groups in town. A couple of the gamers go to every so often just to relax with other people.

But, they consider the typical party game to be the complicated games they want to play. That's fine for many.

And yes, a majority of the people I play with have not heard of or actively avoid BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
In my experience, most people can tolerate about one minute of rules explanation. After that, you begin to lose them. Sometimes before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
gatekeeper86 wrote:
...he had no idea what either of those was (he thought of tabletop miniature games and never heard of BGG).

Is there a German equivalent to BGG? I figured there might be since even now there are a good number of German-published games that are never translated to English or sold outside German-speaking countries.

Not really. There are several German websites dedicated to games, but none have the same quantity or activity as BGG. The most active forum I know is that of the Heidelberger Spieleverlag. They mostly specialize in localizing FFG's games and other Ameritrash stuff, but I think the most active forum members there are also active here on BGG, too.

In Germany, everything fantasy and especially science-fiction still has a little bit of nerdyness to it. Several German websites discuss Euros, fillers, abstracts or small card games in a lot more detail than Ameritrash games. And wargames practically do not exist here.

Regarding the OP, I haven't experienced what you describe, but I have been to meetups or boardgame cafes with very mixed groups. While one table was playing back-to-back Agricola and Terra Mystica, another one was happy to play small fillers like 6 nimmt or Nox the whole night. To those players, Stone Age or Settlers of Catan are about the most complex games they will play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
gatekeeper86 wrote:
bortmonkey wrote:
Yes. Yes there are.
Does theirs PLAY either as RISK or "Monopoly"? robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Moeseke
Belgium
Temse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some friends who love all kinds of games as long as the box states it takes max 2 hours to play. Longer games (except classic Risk) never get played.
I got them to play 'Diplomacy' once. We stopped after 2 hours never to play again. We tried Le Havre for 2 hours (wich is one of my favorite games) never to play again although everybody stated it was a good game en I never got them to play Civilisation wich I even got from them as a birthday present. But they are happy to play You're bluffing, Munchkin, Bohnanza or Wherewolves all night long.

Grr.. frustrating!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.