Evolution» Forums » Rules

Subject: Game length rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Am I correct in saying that there are 129 cards with 3+ players and 89 with 2 players?

Last time I played 2-player on BSW, I noticed that games felt much quicker, as if there had been 60 cards or so in the initial deck. It didn’t feel too short (though a tad, but not much), since with 2 players, when one player gets the better, they’ll be hard to stop.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Togo Took
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Correct. Rules state that for a 2 player game "Remove 40 random Trait Cards from the deck before play."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob O'Brien
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Seemed sensible to jump on this thread as my Q is also about game length...

We're quite new to the game and just wanted to clarify game end - is it correct that you play until all of the cards in the draw pile have been used, then shuffle in the discarded cards, and that then triggers one last round?

Also, what is a 'round'? Is it all the way round with the first player marker (i.e. with every player starting first one more time) or is it just one more 'go' (i.e. first player marker passes to next player and you play that player's 'go'/round)?

Hope that makes sense

Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One more go.
And the last round is when the deck is empty at the end of phase 1. Then you finish the round and that’s it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, welcome to the group and the game!!!

badobsession81 wrote:
We're quite new to the game and just wanted to clarify game end - is it correct that you play until all of the cards in the draw pile have been used, then shuffle in the discarded cards, and that then triggers one last round?

Correct

badobsession81 wrote:
Also, what is a 'round'? Is it all the way round with the first player marker (i.e. with every player starting first one more time) or is it just one more 'go' (i.e. first player marker passes to next player and you play that player's 'go'/round)?

It's the second of your options. A round begins when the First Player marker goes to the next player and ends when that player passes it along. Another way to look at it, each time you guys go through Phases 1 through 4 (Deal Cards through Feeding) is considered a Round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob O'Brien
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Fab, thanks for your replies :-)

Been playing this and Catan pretty regularly since Christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
badobsession81 wrote:
Fab, thanks for your replies :-)

Been playing this and Catan pretty regularly since Christmas!

Those two games belong in the same sentence more often!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I’ve just seen that the BSW implementation has 14 carnivore cards and 6 copies of the other cards, i.e. a total of 110, which explains the difference in game length.

Were these the official figures at some stage?
If so, why was the deck made bigger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
As I recall, the German publisher shortened the game by pulling a few cards and limiting to 5p instead of 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.