Hide
25 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Movement? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david wood
msg tools
You have 1 command token that you exhaust to move. You roll a die and place your space lane. You then place your ship next to it with a warp token. Do you place an unexplored planet tile face down at the end of the lane or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You do not move or place anything until you spend a command to exit warp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david wood
msg tools
I think you are wrong on that point Craig. You can move if you have 1 command token left to spend and place a warp token next to your ship. During the refresh phase you place an additional warp token next to your ship giving it 2 warp tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can enter warp with a command, but entering warp is not movement. Exiting warp is what moves you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david wood
msg tools
I suppose I am wording it wrong. You must exhaust a command to warp. You still have to roll a die and place a space lane. If you don't have another command to exit warp, do you place a face down tile at the end of the lane or leave it blank?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Craig is right. If you are in a system, and use your command and lay a space lane, then you have moved at impulse only and must place your ship in the lane. If you decide to warp out of the system instead, you put your ship next to the system with a single warp token, but you can't lay a space lane because you're not in one yet. Hope that's clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dwood9999 wrote:
I suppose I am wording it wrong. You must exhaust a command to warp. You still have to roll a die and place a space lane. If you don't have another command to exit warp, do you place a face down tile at the end of the lane or leave it blank?

You do not move, roll the die, or place any lane or system until you exit warp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david wood
msg tools
So a space lane and planet tile can only be placed if you move at impulse? Once the lanes and systems are placed you can warp in and out as much as you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dwood9999 wrote:
So a space lane and planet tile can only be placed if you move at impulse? Once the lanes and systems are placed you can warp in and out as much as you like.

No. You can place new lanes and systems when moving at impulse or when exiting warp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david wood
msg tools
So you would exhaust a command token to enter warp (place your ship next to the system you are leaving along with a warp token. On your next turn, you would exhaust a command token to exit warp, roll a die, place a space lane and planet tile. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dwood9999 wrote:
So you would exhaust a command token to enter warp (place your ship next to the system you are leaving along with a warp token. On your next turn, you would exhaust a command token to exit warp, roll a die, place a space lane and planet tile. Is that correct?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
dwood9999 wrote:

Close.

How warp works:
1. Spend a command token to enter warp.
2. Remove the ship from the system and put it to the side. Place 1 warp token down pointed towards the system that the ship was in.
3. Next you can do one of 3 things.
A. Spend another command token to add another warp token.
B. Spend another command to exit warp.
C. Do nothing with this ship and place another warp token beside the ship during the clean-up phase.
4. If you exit warp, you can either go to a system you already control or go to a new system.
5. If you go to a new system you first spend a command to exit warp.
6. Next roll the space lane dice, place the space lane.
7. Draw a system, this system flips over as soon as you place your ship on it.
8. If it's a nebula, place a research token on it, and then resolve the hazard.
9. If it's a planet, draw an exploration card and place it next to the system face down. Resolve a hazard if there is one.
10. If your ship survives then flip the exploration card over and resolve that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add:

6A. If you don't like the length of the space lane you rolled, or you simply don't want to flip a new system disc, you may opt to exit warp anywhere along the new space lane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only place a space lane when you enter a new sector via impulse or exiting warp.

Scenario 1 Impulse
So if you go at impulse speed and place a space lane assuming the system you are leaving hasn't already been maxed out but rolled a 4 instead of a 2 or 3 you may move onto the first sector. Then when you move out as long as no other ships are in that sector and the system at the end hasn't been explored you can move off the lane back to the system you just left and the space lane to nowhere is removed. You were just in deep space with nothing worth writing home about.

Scenario 2 Warp.
So entering warp you don't place any space lanes. When exiting warp you may the number of systems equal to the number of warp icons (tokens and research) you have available. You cane move the full amount of systems or assuming the 2nd to last system doesn't have the maximum number of space lanes you can explore a new system by rolling the space lane die, placing that length space lane and arriving at the unexplored system at the other end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
So is this a legal 1st turn ?

command-1 ship enters warp at home system
command-2 ship exits warp by placing a space lane and system.
command-3 2nd ship enters warp at home system.
command-4 2nd ship exits warp placing a space lane and system.
command-5 3rd ship enters warp.

3rd ship will remain in warp gaining a 2nd warp token during the maintenance step.

If that's legal I see very little use for Impulse movement except to create blocking forces on space lanes..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
XAos wrote:

3rd ship will remain in warp gaining a 2nd warp token during the maintenance step.

If that's legal I see very little use for Impulse movement except to create blocking forces on space lanes..?

Impulse movement is indeed situational and much less common than warp movement. The federation can increase its impulse speed to 3 through an advancement, which makes moving that way much more viable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Steal yo
badge
ur face
mbmbmbmbmb
Played our first game yesterday, we also found that impulse movement was mostly unnecessary.

I notice there's a movement scenario that hasn't been covered, wondering what the rule is on this:

The rules mention warping to an existing system and warping out to a new unexplored system, but what about making a new connection to an existing system out of warp? Lets say I'm moving at warp 5, I warp through 4 systems and then roll for a space lane out of the last system and that lane can connect to an existing floating system if I move the floating system to meet the lane, is that legal?

If so, what happens if I only have room for a two sector space lane and I roll a four and that lane cannot fit in the play area? Do I have to stop at the 4th system and end movement?

Also, what if there are no unexplored systems left and I need a 4 sector space lane to make a connection, but a roll a 2? Do I add the 2 sector space lane and end movement in the last sector of the lane (needing to spend a later command to move back towards the system it is attached to, to remove that lane - and potentially try to spend another command to make that connection again if I want)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
remus wrote:

The rules mention warping to an existing system and warping out to a new unexplored system, but what about making a new connection to an existing system out of warp? Lets say I'm moving at warp 5, I warp through 4 systems and then roll for a space lane out of the last system and that lane can connect to an existing floating system if I move the floating system to meet the lane, is that legal?

Yes. As long as lane limits are respected.

Quote:
If so, what happens if I only have room for a two sector space lane and I roll a four and that lane cannot fit in the play area? Do I have to stop at the 4th system and end movement?

If the new lane absolutely cannot fit anywbere on the board, then, yes, you have to end movement in the system you were trying to leave.

Quote:
Also, what if there are no unexplored systems left and I need a 4 sector space lane to make a connection, but a roll a 2? Do I add the 2 sector space lane and end movement in the last sector of the lane (needing to spend a later command to move back towards the system it is attached to, to remove that lane - and potentially try to spend another command to make that connection again if I want)?

You can end movement in any sector of the new lane. At that point, simply entering warp would be enough to discard the lane. If an open-ended space lane is vacated, it is discarded; so if the only ship on it enters warp (thus temporarily remving itself from the board, then lane would be discarded and you point the warp token at the system the lane was attached to. This is also a situation where Impulse movement could be viable. Exit warp in the first sector of a lane you don't want, then impulse move to move back to the system, discard the lane, and use your second sector of movement to roll for a new lane. This potentially saves you from having to use two commands (enter/exit warp) just to end up rolling another lane that doesn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Steal yo
badge
ur face
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
XAos wrote:

Impulse movement is indeed situational and much less common than warp movement. The federation can increase its impulse speed to 3 through an advancement, which makes moving that way much more viable.

Played a game yesterday and used impulse a few times to great effect. The situation was that I had ships that I wanted to attack enemy ships three sectors distant (in an adjacent system connected by a two sector lane). I was able to use impulse to move each ship into attack position, saving several commands that I didn't need to use for exiting warp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, glad I read this as (getting ready for first game tomorrow) I was just going to post a question/observation on Warp vs Impulse movement.

Basically I couldn't see a point in using impulse for any movement where a new or existing system is the destination as even with a 2-length lane it will still take two commands to get there, the same as warping there. And if you are laying a new lane at impulse and roll a 4 then you will use up three commands. Plus warp doesn't leave you at risk of attack.

I'm sure there are some situations where using impulse is a better option (say moving down a 2-length lane to attack a system at the end where impulse will only cost you one command), perhaps people could educate me .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
As you play you'll discover the importance of impulse movement. Remember, you make a tactical movement after a battle ends, and the higher your impulse capability, the farther you can go, often setting up the next battle without exhausting a command for movement. It really pays to expand impulse beyond the starting value of 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whardy wrote:
As you play you'll discover the importance of impulse movement. Remember, you make a tactical movement after a battle ends, and the higher your impulse capability, the farther you can go, often setting up the next battle without exhausting a command for movement. It really pays to expand impulse beyond the starting value of 2.

Haven't read any of the cards so didn't know impulse could change, nice to know (I will pass it on ).
But is my main thinking that impulse movement to discover new lanes/systems (as shown in all the video tutes/reviews) is pretty much replaced by warp ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Exploring by warp is the usual method, but there have been situations when I added space lanes by impulse, for odd tactical reasons. The risk, of course, is that, if you draw a 4 sector lane, you still need two commands to reach the system at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah...the only reason to place lanes with impulse speed 2 is so that you can back out of it and discard if you don't like the length without needing to waste an action exiting warp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.