$15.00
$20.00
$30.00
$5.00
Carlo Hill
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So i know 'what should I buy first/next??' comes up quite a lot in slightly different guises but I think my question is reasonably specific, happy to be pointed to where this might have been previously answered. I'm trying to work out what, if anything, I should look to try and get in Black Friday sales.

So I have the core box, intending to play vs. an OL, not RtL (have other dedicated co-op games).

My game group has played Imp Assault reasonably extensively. I'm quite confident we will enjoy the descent campaign, I'm sure we will get around to a 2nd campaign eventually but for now we are just considering the Heirs of Blood campaign.

On the back of the Heirs of Blood campaign alone what additionally would you consider good purchases to improve it? My thoughts are;

#1 Lieutenant?
Am I right that the Lieutenants bring the OL some kind of new deck each? Are these just a replacement to the basic OL deck? If you were to buy 1 which would you go for?

#All 6 Lieutenants that appear in the HoB campaign?
Is there much benefit to buying all the Lieutenants? Or do I only gain the ability to use the model instead of the token? Is this mostly for those with loads of cash to throw around? I'm not adverse to buying all of the Lieutenants but I feel I could possibly get more for the money putting it into a full expansion?

#Either/both of the major expansions?
Would these be considered good, again only for the purposes of the HoB campaign? What would they provide? Additional heroes, enemies, items, OL cards, ect. that can both be used in the HoB missions, yes? Do they add any new mechanics that can be used in HoB? If so would you consider these an improvement?

#Heroes and Monsters collection(s)?
If I'm just looking to add some more variety to the HoB campaign are these some of the best variation for price options? Or are these more for the absolute completionist who must have everything?

#Nothing just play it as it you fool!
Is there already enough variation/complexity/mechanics to stay on top of as the OL without adding anything else in?

Thanks for any info and advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
LT pack brings a new game element into play. The Plot Deck. At the start of the campaign, the overlord chooses one plot deck.

It's less a deck than what amounts to a new set of Skill cards but for the overlord, purchased with Threat Tokens (they are included in the pack) and when you use other Threat Tokens to activate the Plot cards, the heroes gain Fortune Tokens (reverse side of a threat token) which gives the heroes a few additional benefits.

Threat tokens are a very limited resource. You can gain a fair amount but you need to be conservative with them because there are a finite number of ways to gain them during play.

The plot decks each feature a "Summon: Agent" card, which can call forth the relevant Lieutenant in a slightly modified form (the Agent). You cannot use this effect in a quest that features that Lieutenant and you cannot use it during an Interlude or Finale quest.

If you find the price for the LT pack sufficient just for the figure, by all means, get all six.

If you like the looks of other Lieutenants from other campaigns, those can also be used during Heirs of Blood as Agents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
** Additional content:

Play a randomly chosen quest or two from Heirs of Blood with your friends, to make sure you like Descent enough. THEN go hog-wild and buy all the things

Each expansion in a box adds the same things:
- More overlord cards to spend XP on (Except Mists)
- New monster groups for Open monster picks
- New Shop item cards
- A new condition (Both Mists and Chains add the same condition "Terrified")
- More travel cards
- New hero classes (except Mists, and Chains introduces only Hybrid classes)

All except Mists and Chains:
- New heroes

Manor of Ravens, Lair of the Wyrm and Trollfens:
- Rumors

Lair and Trollfens only:
- Secret Rooms, search card "Secret Passage" that replaces the Nothing card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
** Hero and Monster boosters:

Each of these will add a Rumor card that you can play during the HoB campaign as a side quest.
Each includes four Heroes that were present in 1st edition, I believe all of whom had some form of minor or major change. Except I think Lindel.
Each includes three monsters, 25 out of 27 of said monsters are from 1st edition again

The overlord will benefit more from these than the heroes, as the monsters can be fairly potent compared to the ones in the core game box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
** PURE OPINION! **

The core game has enough in it to keep your interest. Many quests have unique mechanics so you don't need to introduce new game elements just to keep things fresh. That's why I suggested just playing a couple first.

That said, the core game monsters can be underwhelming compared to some of the expansion options.

- More shop cards will dilute the shop deck and make getting the really good cards less likely.
- More monster groups gives the overlord more options, and a few can easily overwhelm an unprepared group of heroes. Just ask anyone who looked at the blood apes card and said "What's so scary about that?"
- There are those who dislike the Rumor cards from Lair of the Wyrm and Trollfens because they were made before FFG changed the nature of Rumor quest cards, and the quests in Lair of the Wyrm are not well balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
z4carlo wrote:

#1 Lieutenant?
Am I right that the Lieutenants bring the OL some kind of new deck each?

Yes but not to a campaign they're in.

z4carlo wrote:

...do I only gain the ability to use the model instead of the token? Is this mostly for those with loads of cash to throw around?

Yep. That's how it works.

I mostly just use proxies but have a few lieutenants because they were so unique or cool that I couldn't proxy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ozga
msg tools
mbmb
z4carlo wrote:
#1 Lieutenant?
Am I right that the Lieutenants bring the OL some kind of new deck each? Are these just a replacement to the basic OL deck? If you were to buy 1 which would you go for?

Lieutenants give you new kind of deck (Plot Deck) and threat/fortune token mechanic. OL gains threat for some actions and can spend it for cards from plot deck. Those carts are always in play area and OL can activate them by paying threat.
When OL uses card thread becomes fortune and gives some bonuses to heroes (most important is a re-roll of any dice).
You can use only one Plot Deck per campaign so buying all of them has diminishing value.
If I you want to buy just one you need to decide what you want from the pack:
- good miniature - go with Valyndra
- more POWER!!!! - go with Gargan Mirklace

z4carlo wrote:
#All 6 Lieutenants that appear in the HoB campaign?
Is there much benefit to buying all the Lieutenants? Or do I only gain the ability to use the model instead of the token? Is this mostly for those with loads of cash to throw around? I'm not adverse to buying all of the Lieutenants but I feel I could possibly get more for the money putting it into a full expansion?

Only benefit of having all Lieutenants are miniatures because of one plot deck per campaign restriction. You would need to play a lot of full length campaigns just to try some of the cards in each plot deck (you won't be able to buy all plot cards in most cases). I would say that is mostly for people who want complete collection.

z4carlo wrote:
#Either/both of the major expansions?
Would these be considered good, again only for the purposes of the HoB campaign? What would they provide? Additional heroes, enemies, items, OL cards, ect. that can both be used in the HoB missions, yes? Do they add any new mechanics that can be used in HoB? If so would you consider these an improvement?

If you buy small/big expansion you will get for HoB:
- more heroes selection
- more hero classes selection
- more monster selection for open groups in quests
- more items
- more OL classes and cards

Additional thing that you won't be able to use in HoB but may come handy later on is different campaign.

z4carlo wrote:
#Heroes and Monsters collection(s)?
If I'm just looking to add some more variety to the HoB campaign are these some of the best variation for price options? Or are these more for the absolute completionist who must have everything?

In case of HM packs you get
- more heroes
- more monsters for open groups

Depending on the price it may be better to get HM pack instead of box expansion but in general I would recommend big box expansion over HM pack.

z4carlo wrote:
#Nothing just play it as it you fool!
Is there already enough variation/complexity/mechanics to stay on top of as the OL without adding anything else in?

Base game has enough content in it that you really do not need any expansions. Especially if this is the first time you are playing Descent.
To much elements to choose from may overwhelm players. Its easier to pick one of eight heroes and a one class from two for him during first paly than to select hero from over 60 available ones.
Sure, you will find monster selection limited after playing some games and hero combinations are not infinite with two heroes and two classes per archetype but this is still a lot of content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you elect to go with an H&M pack (which will provide a bit more content without additional mechanics), I recommend one of the following: Oath of the Outcast, Crown of Destiny, Crusade of the Forgotten, Stewards of the Secret. These packs have one of each hero archetype, and all provide interesting monsters to add some more variety. I second (third? fourth?) the opinion that the base game includes enough content alone to do a very good first campaign play. Most expansions add replay value, but that's not your concern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Hill
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the responses,

So it seems a general consensus that there is no need for much more than the base game.

Just as a quick follow-up, if I where to add a single lieutenant would an average plot deck (I see there are considered various power levels) be considered an advantage for the OL? Fairly balanced? Help the OL catch up a little in a game generally weighted towards the heroes?

Also if I went for a lieutenant outside of those that appear in the campaign how easy is the lieutenant to use as an agent(?), could I be using it nearly every mission if I wanted or it is difficult to summon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the monster-selection for the OL strategically very limiting that's why I initially bought the Conversion Kit, but that was before the H&M packs were released.

I say, if you really enjoy Descent, you should buy Shadows of Nerekhall and play that campaign instead of a second HoB right away. SoN brings in a really different atmosphere with all the city-tiles. Then you can play HoB and SoN alternating, which keeps the atmosphere from getting stale.

If you really want to invest as little as possible, getting a H&M pack gives you a decent amount of stuff, while the Conversion Kit is a bit outdated, it still comes with a huge amount of monstercards (no miniatures though).

Basically H&M packs come with around the same amount of monsters and heroes as a big expansion, yet a big expanison also comes with a complete campaign 4 new hero classes, new OL cards and a unique campaign gameplay mechanism (secret information and some sort of monsterlevelling in SoN). So depending on how much you get to play this game, I would decide if the difference in price is worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ozga
msg tools
mbmb
z4carlo wrote:
Just as a quick follow-up, if I where to add a single lieutenant would an average plot deck (I see there are considered various power levels) be considered an advantage for the OL? Fairly balanced? Help the OL catch up a little in a game generally weighted towards the heroes?

In general having a plot deck is beneficial for OL more than for heroes.
It gives more options to OL. He may not use them at all (so heroes wont get chance to use fortune) but the sheer possibility of using it may alter heroes decisions.

Because you want to play only with the base game I would still recommend a plot deck. It will give OL more options but this should be balanced by not having access to all monster groups.

z4carlo wrote:
Also if I went for a lieutenant outside of those that appear in the campaign how easy is the lieutenant to use as an agent(?), could I be using it nearly every mission if I wanted or it is difficult to summon?

I would suggest using plot deck with lieutenant outside of the campaign you are playing.
The agent can't be summoned into quests where lieutenant appears, so its more difficult to summon lieutenant from campaign than one not appearing in it.

About summoning agent its quite difficult thing to do. It cost 2 thread tokens to buy summon card and 3 thread to activate it (heroes will get 3 fortune tokens). Agent replaces some figures in open monster group.
If your agent survives the encounter you can summon it again for 3 thread.
If it gets killed you need to re purchase the summon card for 2 thread and then you can summon it for 3 thread.

The main problem here is limited thread supply. OL generally gets:
- 1 thread after quest
- 1 extra thread if he won the quest
- 1 thread per killed hero instead of drawing card (max 4 per quest by killing different heroes)
- OL can spend 1 xp to get 3 thread
And that is it. Plot decks in general provide some kind of acceleration mechanic. You buy plot card, do something and you get more thread out of it. But its hard to say how much thread you can get this way.

So as you see thread supply is quite limited and summoning agent in every possible quest may be impossible.
The other thing is that you probably do not want to summon agent in every quest. Agent replaces some figures in open monster groups (or the whole group). It may be better to summon two shadow dragons instead of single agent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.