Great Western Trail» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How quickly do you ideally get to Kansas? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ulises Espejo Vigil
United Kingdom
Guildford
flag msg tools
Played the game 4 times and I always plan for a few things on my way to Kansas. On my first game (2P) we both went for pretty much every action available, so it took a while to get to Kansas pretty much every time, resulting in very high scores (147-106).
In my last couple of games (3P) a friend went to Kansas many times and very quick. He scored high (won with 115) on the first (where the other two went a bit slow) and very low (tied victory with 59).

I like stopping and doing a few things while I get the perfect hand, but speeding up for the sake of delivering my cattle seems to work quite well.

Do you think it's a question of speed or just luck? I say luck because in his 115-pt victory my friend managed to deliver to the 10-coin city and get a 5-card hand in his first visit, thanks to two temp certs and a permanent one I think, I think this is uncommon.

Our last, low-scoring game was with a bunch of b-sides and randomised generic tiles, we guess that also affected the end-scoring.

What are the experts thoughts on speeding then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't any way to have a five card hand of cattle in your first visit to Kansas City.

You guys must have gotten a rule wrong somewhere along the way, as your hand size is strictly limited to four cards until you can manage to get out a black edged disc, which can then increase hand size.

Edit: Maybe I misunderstood you? Are you saying he got the black edged disc out on the first trip, and increased his hand size for the second trip? That's definitely possible as I've done it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulises Espejo Vigil
United Kingdom
Guildford
flag msg tools
MDJD wrote:

Edit: Maybe I misunderstood you? Are you saying he got the black edged disc out on the first trip, and increased his hand size for the second trip? That's definitely possible as I've done it myself.

Yes, this is what I tried to say (didn't say he had three 2's and a 1, but that was obvious I guess).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha.

So, to try and answer your original question, I'm not sure there is a best way to play in terms of number of trips to KS. I can tell you that in the four three player games I've player so far, there has never been a difference in number of trips greater than one in any game, and the winner was not necessarily the person who made the most trips.

I do think that if there is a large disparity in number of trips, being on the low end would make it very hard to win the game.

Honestly, I think the only reason to rush on any given trip is if you start off with a particularly good hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to go slowly if I have a weak hand and need to change cards. I also like to get at least one temporary certificate on my first trip, so I can deliver to #8. When I finally get a good hand sometimes I will speed up and skip spots to deliver quickly and start the next trip.

Love this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best speed depends on what you draw, where the buildings are and what strategy you are pursuing. If you are on a train strategy you will probably want to move slower to hit all the train movement actions. If you are on a delivery strategy you will probably want to go faster (if the cards fall right).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulises Espejo Vigil
United Kingdom
Guildford
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies!

Initial hand is certainly a factor. I just find it hard to get to the good cards, especially if I just used them in the visit to Kansas! Going through the deck again takes time. Do you usually use the last auxiliary action to trash cards entirely? I normally focus on 'take then discard 1 or 2 cards' and eventually a train advance.

I've seen games where one goes to Kansas 2 and I believe even 3 more times than other players.

Eager to play this a few more times, it's certainly a great one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
I also like to get at least one temporary certificate on my first trip, so I can deliver to #8.

Oh that's interesting, I wondered what other people out there were doing. It's become a standard opening in my group to deliver to KC for $6 on the first trip. The thing is, unless you move your train a fair amount forward before your first delivery (hard to do), you're gonna pay crossings if you deliver to a farther city, so delivering to KC actually represents more than a $6 gain. It seems worth the -6VP, but who knows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulises Espejo Vigil
United Kingdom
Guildford
flag msg tools
verandi wrote:
DrumPhil wrote:
I also like to get at least one temporary certificate on my first trip, so I can deliver to #8.

Oh that's interesting, I wondered what other people out there were doing. It's become a standard opening in my group to deliver to KC for $6 on the first trip. The thing is, unless you move your train a fair amount forward before your first delivery (hard to do), you're gonna pay crossings if you deliver to a farther city, so delivering to KC actually represents more than a $6 gain. It seems worth the -6VP, but who knows?

Now THAT is interesting. 6VP for 6 early dollars? Is it really worth it? I guess that money + avoid paying for a town further away makes it even more money, but never considered it. 6VP seems like a heavy penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonatan dyre
Denmark
flag msg tools
If one player is on to have very few stops on his rute to Kansas, there is few options to deal with it besides to speed up yourself.
On thing not to forget is to slow his route down by plaster out buildings on the right spots. Besides giving opponents a longer route, it also ideal invites/force players to take a stop or two to deal with the increased cost to get past the other players buildings.

A lot of the games interaction, if not all, lays in these small adjustments to the route of your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brookins
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMashirito wrote:
verandi wrote:
DrumPhil wrote:

Now THAT is interesting. 6VP for 6 early dollars? Is it really worth it? I guess that money + avoid paying for a town further away makes it even more money, but never considered it. 6VP seems like a heavy penalty.

I second the first-trip delivery to Kansas City. I tried it my second play, and the early cash infusion really jump-started my game. I've done it every time since. It definitely seems worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that if for some reason you're expecting that you might be forced to make a delivery to KC itself somewhen during the game (e.g. with a train strategy?), then it makes a lot of sense to do it right away, since that's when the (hopeful) snowballing effect of the extra money (and thus extra worker/extra cattle) is at its maximum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O'Hara
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
My mind is blown now, thinking about the possibility of delivering to Kansas on the first loop so that I can then buy two workers more or less at the start of the game. This could be a game-changer, friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that the neutral building allowing you to purchase workers won't necessarily be on the first spot once you go for some variety during game setup by placing the neutral buildings randomly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D'Cotta
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CurlyJefferson wrote:
DrMashirito wrote:
verandi wrote:
DrumPhil wrote:

I second the first-trip delivery to Kansas City. I tried it my second play, and the early cash infusion really jump-started my game. I've done it every time since. It definitely seems worth it.

I like doing my first delivery to Kansas City for 6 dollars.

Also, I like starting near Kansas City to reach it immediately on my second turn.

My first disc unlocked from a black location also goes to +2 movement for extra speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, my best scores were made when i went to Kansas City for my first delivery.

I prefer to make a double recruitment on the second journey to speed my development and start the snowball/ramping effect ASAP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:
So far, my best scores were made when i went to Kansas City for my first delivery.

I prefer to make a double recruitment on the second journey to speed my development and start the snowball/ramping effect ASAP.
...which can be quite nice if the recruitment building is on position A or B. Not so if it's on position D/E/F/G.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.