Subject: A few newbie questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

A few newbie questions from a first solo game:

1. Are air points expended when used in combat? That is, am I supposed to move the marker on the air point / refit track if used, or only if “killed” under an “A” result?

2. Related to the previous, when an “A” result takes place, do the air points involved have any effect in the ensuing combat? Or they are “killed” before combat? Suppose I allocate 2 air points (which is the maximum permitted as per the suggestions posted on this forum), if an A result is produced, then do I get the two-column shift and then kill one of the air units, or I get just one shift?

3. It seems difficult to reconcile 8.43 and its errata with 8.47. A bit confusing. Can anybody share their thoughts on this?

Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As to 1. Air points are not expended just from being in combat. They exist until e result calls for their loss.

As to 2. When air points are lost during combat, they still have the effect. It's treated as simultaneous.

I do not have the old Desert Fox rules in front of me, so I am not sure to what you are referring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Really appreciate your getting back to me. Those were my thoughts, precisely. However:

1. REACTION (8.43 and errata, with 8.47): I was referring to “move adjacent to an enemy unit… in friendly ZOC” (8.43), and “may move by enemy units… not already in friendly ZOC… provided it does not end its movement adjacent to such units” (8.43 errata), but “may never move directly from one enemy ZOC to another. They may not infiltrate… may enter under certain conditions (see 8.43)” (8.47). I’m all messed up by the time I digest these seemingly contradictory statements.

2. About Italian and German units, any difference other than their refit markers being independent? I mean, can they attack/move together? Any advantage or edge on the German side that I’m not aware of? Anything I should know concerning this?

3. Can arty be alone in a hex and participate in combat like any other unit or must it necessarily be with another unit? Suppose you are forced to attack as you’ve just arrived in an enemy ZOC: Do you pay supply (1—2?) even if you withhold your column shift (it doesn’t fire)? I know that they pay one when depleted and no artillery capacity.

4. I know I’m getting a bit ahead of my current game now but my impression is that the game is mainly about building a solid supply network from which you can crawl your way east (or west, but with fewer supply limitations if playing with the Allies). It’s like, as long as you have this network all set up then you can move effectively as you will be reducing your supply consumption to zero, in the sense that no dumps will be expended, or just a very few, because of the optimization. Is that so?

5. Can you overstack temporarily during movement (more than 6 in hex or more than 9 in city?

6. What’s the thing with villages? Do they perform any role at all?

7. What’s the convention on air points permitted during combat? The maximum of 2 suggested in the forum seems more suitable than the original 4. Does it feel as the German player has air superiority throughout the game? It seems difficult to get an A result out of all possibilities.

Thanx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. 8.47 means units that start in a zoc. This is different to the errata of not starting in an ezoc, moving through them and ending in an ezoc.

The latter are avoiding contact as it were throughout the move even though close to the enemy. At least I assume that is the rationale and is quite reasonable for the desert war.

2 No difference

3 See 11.15, 11.16. Artillery are parenthesised units. They never attack, if forced to do so (alone or only with other parenthesised units), they take a 4d4 combat result and the defender takes no damage. You can spend supply for them if you like (you never have to spend combat supply), but it will not make any difference to the result.

4 Yes

5 Yes

6 I can't find any specific effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.