GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,047 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Julian Bailey
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools

This was my first play of ATOE for a while, trying out a draft set of new solo rules with the hero's movement, actions and exploration possible within any order and limited each turn by an action point total. I'll post the rules after a few more play tests, but due to me failing to use all my own new rules correctly, this time I had a weird and wonderful adventure.

Day 1: I strode into the Olde Woods where I recovered my trusty blunderbuss. I then went into town and visited the magistrate's office (learnt a trick or two there) before moving onto the Blacksmith.
At night, a full moon was seen and there were rumours of lights at the Abandoned Keep

Day 2: It took me a full half day to get to the keep, where I found my first signs of sinister goings on and a book on occult practices. I pushed my luck and continued the search, this disturbed hundreds, maybe thousands of crows.
That night as I settled in the shadow of the ruins, there was hollowing in the night, it came from the direction of the marsh.

Day 3: The occult book taught me how to scatter the crows that dived at me wherever I walked. Clearing the crows wasted time and by the time I found the new lead in the marsh, it was late.
That was the night that The Order started to put pressure on Lord Hanbrook and great number of crows infested the Windmill.

Day 4: I walked back into town and acquired a torch and pistol. I explored the town, searching for aid (event cards) in my fight.
This was a dark night, the priest went mad and burnt every book in the town, even my hard won book on the occult was torn from my grasp and thrown on the fire. Thousands of crows were attracted by the flames, their dark wings glistening in the red light.

Day 5: I did my spirit much good by clearing the church and doctors office of the crow menace. However I heard of more creatures lurking on the edge of town, what ever I do, it seems to have no impact on the number of beasts surrounding Shadowbrook.

Day 6: I spent yet another day trying to rid the town of birds and learnt more about the evil powers of my opponent. After dusk flock upon flock of the birds dashed themselves against the town hall, Sophie the midwife was caught in the chaos and her body found the next morning under thousands of crow corpses. The Scarecrow was gathering his strength and testing the will of the town.

Day 7: I now sweep aside flocks of crows as if they are but dust in the wind. A visit to the blacksmith has me loaded for war and my preparations are ready for the end game of this wild conflict.
It was passed Midnight when the church bell tolled and I rushed to aid the Reverend, book burner though he is. Instead I came face to face with the Scarecrow itself for the first time, the demon almost killed me, but I fought it off and learned much about it from the encounter. Staggering into the church after my luck escape, I found the priest's body, another victim.

Day 8: This day mainly spent in the doctor's surgery, getting my wounds tended to. The Scarecrow raided farms to the south of the town and two boys have gone missing in the marsh and the old woods.

Day 9: A new tactic, I need to gather help for the final encounter and so I persuade the doctor to follow me when I call. I say persuade, I dropped a few hints about his war record and he went white as a sheet. After that I went hunting the trail of the Villain, searching the Marsh and Old Woods for clues. I can see it now, the story is soon at an end.
Magistrate Kraff has grown desperate with the killings, he has ordered the local militia out and they will shoot at anybody on sight. As I camped in the woods I was swarmed by Locusts, millions of them, fortunately , my outdoor skills allowed me to survive.

Day 10: The Scarecrow's lair is near the manor house, I move there in readiness for tomorrows final battle. Lord Hanbrook provides me with a fine sabre and I try to persuade Magistrate Kraff to aid me in the final fight. Horror fills me when I discover that it is Kraff that controls the construct, the ultimate traitor in our midst. The night is filled with the buzzing of millions of locusts, they terrorise many parts of the town and the manor.

Day 11: Dawn appears and we have one final task, Doctor Manning and Lord and Lady Hanbrook aid me in my fight. The doctor and Lady Hanbrook distract the beast while Lord Hanbrook and myself try to destroy it. The fight lasts for ages and I don't know how I survived, but when things seemed at their worst, the Scarecrow picked up the doctor and broke him against a tree. I roared in anger, placed my trusty blunderbuss into the beasts face and blew its head off.

Shadowbrook is saved, though I wonder if it will ever recover; and me, I have a magistrate to hunt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun read. Thanks for uploading. I have a question--As someone this interested in the thematic play of this game, I'm wondering if there is a flaw in the design. Are you creating new rules for movement because the game has broken or boring movement rules?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The movement rules are just roll & move. Roll a D6, move up to that many spaces. If you roll a 1, you get to draw a beneficial Event card, but it still stinks if you can't reach anything of use on the board. There aren't any large empty stretches, but it could hamper getting to a specific area.

I don't think it harms the game much at all, but several turns of bad rolls in the wrong spot on the board can slow down your progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Bailey
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Wister wrote:
Fun read. Thanks for uploading. I have a question--As someone this interested in the thematic play of this game, I'm wondering if there is a flaw in the design. Are you creating new rules for movement because the game has broken or boring movement rules?

Thanks.

My reasons for changing the rules are to make the game more plan ahead based for the Hero and less luck based. Potentially he/she can do much more in a turn on my game version than in the rules as written, but it also means that every delay to the Hero seems more crucial in that limited time is lost.
I'm currently trying to find the balance between the number of moves/ actions/encounters a hero should have to the amount of minions/shadow track movement and mystery cards that could be put in their way.
I also take the view that a longer more action based hero turn will make the total play time shorter as there is less wasted 'can't do nothing' time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be watching for your updates. Sounds fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.