Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Game giveaway.. but wait! There's a catch! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corporal Dave
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an extra copy of Last Battle: Ie Shima, 1945. Brand new.

I want to give it away but I want a quality review on BGG in return. Not necessarily a positive review, though I would prefer that, since I want more games on WWII PTO US Army fights. (I'm still waiting on you, The Luzon Campaign, 1945.) I think it rates a good review, but that is up to the reviewer.

The purpose of this post is to get BGG community suggestions as to how to proceed. All I can think of is posting an offer for a week or two and picking the responder with the best reviews, but that might be too subjective. I guess it is MY game (for now), but I want the BEST review there is to be gotten!

I will decide what to do after December 1st unless someone makes an earth-shattering suggestion first.

EDIT
I didn't mean only people that had already written reviews on the game or eligible. As I think about it, I suppose those folks are at a disadvantage, since they've already reviewed. See, this is why I need BGG input.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was involved in a similar offer a couple of years ago: Happy Holiday Wargame Giveaway (Caution - don't get too excited). I won Victory in Europe, and wrote The Best Review - or post of any kind - yet found in the Victory in Europe forum. Perhaps a similar setup would work for you!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which review is the "best" is always going to be a subjective opinion. Your choice is as good as any, and since you're giving the game away, you might as well decide.

Main problem I see is that anyone reviewing it already has the game.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know this game existed. Thanks for putting it forward. Now added to want list.

EDIT: As luck would have it, have secured a copy. My Christmas holiday play book begins to fill.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Westie wrote:
Which review is the "best" is always going to be a subjective opinion.


There is subjective from the point of view of the OP, and subjective from the point of view from the BGG population at large.

Pick the review with the most thumbs. The contest can be gamed, but would be objective from PoV of OP.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love a chance to play this game and review it! I have several of Michael Rinella's other area-impulse games, and I'm a big fan. I could offer a compare and contrast with Operation Battleaxe: Wavell vs. Rommel, 1941, Breakthrough: Cambrai, Not War But Murder, and Birth of a Legend.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I already reviewed that game. A video review. Darned good game.
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've written 96 reviews on BGG so far... I'd be willing to give it a spin and write a review.

I do have a small stack of games ahead of it though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:
I was involved in a similar offer a couple of years ago: Happy Holiday Wargame Giveaway (Caution - don't get too excited). I won Victory in Europe, and wrote The Best Review - or post of any kind - yet found in the Victory in Europe forum. Perhaps a similar setup would work for you!


I have to say that with a few exceptions, compliance with my "rules" was not as high as I had hoped.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are asking someone to review the game, that would suggest that they already own a copy. So why give them another copy?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corporal Dave
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteyWA wrote:
If you are asking someone to review the game, that would suggest that they already own a copy. So why give them another copy?


I want to give it away but I want a quality review on BGG in return.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SBGrad wrote:
Westie wrote:
Which review is the "best" is always going to be a subjective opinion.


There is subjective from the point of view of the OP, and subjective from the point of view from the BGG population at large.

Pick the review with the most thumbs. The contest can be gamed, but would be objective from PoV of OP.


Except that some members have more followers than others.

I could write the best review ever seen by man, but will still get fewer thumbs than a handful of sentences written by Tom Vasel.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well count yourself Lucky then, as I don't think he's participating.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corporal Dave
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
SBGrad wrote:
Westie wrote:
Which review is the "best" is always going to be a subjective opinion.


There is subjective from the point of view of the OP, and subjective from the point of view from the BGG population at large.

Pick the review with the most thumbs. The contest can be gamed, but would be objective from PoV of OP.


Except that some members have more followers than others.

I could write the best review ever seen by man, but will still get fewer thumbs than a handful of sentences written by Tom Vasel.


I will give it in exchange for the best review ever seen by man. Is that an offer?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
spartax wrote:
I was involved in a similar offer a couple of years ago: Happy Holiday Wargame Giveaway (Caution - don't get too excited). I won Victory in Europe, and wrote The Best Review - or post of any kind - yet found in the Victory in Europe forum. Perhaps a similar setup would work for you!


I have to say that with a few exceptions, compliance with my "rules" was not as high as I had hoped.


Probably because you did not come to me at the get-go to write the review. And my reviews are reviews, not advertisements to sell more games.

goo

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O'Keefe
Germany
Pressath
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
The Dude Abides
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeez, so many objections. The man is just giving away a game for several hours of uncomplicated labor!

I'm always looking for excuses to force myself to write. I'll send you a writing sample by PM.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Jeez, so many objections. The man is just giving away a game for several hours of uncomplicated labor!


Some folks, you can never please.

goo
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corporal Dave
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the winner is...

James O'Keefe
Germany
Pressath
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
The Dude Abides
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


His initiative in sending me a writing sample and his enthusiasm for the project overcame point losses (in my totally subjective, scientific grading system) for being a USMA graduate... and a TREADHEAD.

All will be well, however. Soon an inspirational game review will lead to a veritable deluge of wargames on US Army land battles in WW2 PTO, and there will be much rejoicing.
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.