Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Keegan
United States
Whitman
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which two investigators do you think make the best duo, assuming two cores and no class overlap?

Roland/Wendy - The suggested starting duo does seem to have nice synergy, and have most of the bases covered.
Roland/Agnes - If Roland can hold the fort while Agnes sets up, seems like they'd be able to care care of business.
Daisy/Wendy - Feel like they may struggle quite a bit when it comes to combat.
Daisy/Skids - I'm not sure how Skids plays, if he can handle combat this should be a good team, although maybe struggles with Willpower based encounters?
Agnes/Skids - Similar to the Daisy/Skids team, except perhaps lacking in Investigating skills instead of Willpower?

I haven't tried all the combos, this is just a first impression so I'd be interested in hearing other thoughts/experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Skids/Daisy

Stay together whenever you can. Resist the urge to split up (even on scenario 2 of the core). Daisy picks up clues and supports Skids. Skids either evades or kills all the enemies he faces (and engages anything that falls onto Daisy). It is by far the most powerful combination I've put together so far because the two of those investigators can be so focused on the tasks they know best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chainsawash wrote:

Roland/Agnes - If Roland can hold the fort while Agnes sets up, seems like they'd be able to care care of business.

Just did this and absolutely wrecked the Ghoul Priest. Agnes is really strong if she can get her Coat and an ally out with some spells. Roland needs his guns and he is good to go. You just need to keep an eye on his mental health; get that Beat Cop out. Seems like a solid team so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Roland/Daisy. Daisy hoovers up clues, Roland knocks down enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Shanowitz
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With two core sets I just played a campaign with Roland and Wendy that worked pretty well. I filled Roland's deck full of cards to focus on extra damage (two copies each .45 Automatic/Guard Dog/Vicious Blow), plus events to help him get free clues (two copies each Evidence/Working a Hunch) when needed. He could reliably kill anything, pick up free clues from his ability, then grab up any hard-to-get clues with the two events.

Wendy did a good job evading enemies and making use of Pickpocketing for the free card draw. With Sneak Attack and Backstab she helped Roland bring down tough enemies when needed and she used Flashlight to pick up a lot of clues. Her deck wasn't as focused as Roland's but she performed okay.

I feel like Daisy might work even better than Wendy, but there would be some class overlap with Roland (though with my current setup Roland only has one Seeker card, so not much of an issue). With Dr. Milan Christopher in her opening hand Daisy can get her investigation engine going, and the free card draw with the Old Book of Lore is crazy good. Using Daisy also opens up the option to use Ward of Protection to cancel bad treacheries. Though, much like those Elixers and Megan-Potions in Final Fantasy, I usually still have it in my hand at the end of the game because the "perfect" chance to use it never came up.

At this point I think Roland/Daisy might be the strongest duo, but I haven't tried it in practice. I've just used each character separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Roland/Daisy is a strong combination because they can both investigate well which means they can power through act decks in some scenarios. Though they do have an overlapping card pool. Also they both suck at agility tests. That's why I think Skids and Daisy make a better team. Skids having good agility means Daisy can Scry Agility based encounter cards onto him, and he can deal with location tests that require agility. Also it means he can evade when combat is not a strong option. Therefore Skids is actually a more defensive option than Roland. Roland can get Shotgun though so his potential damage output is going to be higher than Skids. Roland also has a weapon as his signature card, which means he has an easier time getting a good weapon density into his deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have anything of substance to offer on this topic. I just want to thank all of you for the discussion because this is great food for thought for me once I get the game.

Now, carry on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogganbuck
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agnes and Roland are quite good. Though, for us, Roland is the clue machine who is capable of dishing out decent amounts of damage. Agnes helps control the encounter deck, picks up the occasional clues, and lays a pretty good smackdown on whatever unfortunate creature targets her.

Though, I have grown to despise Roland's Cover Up weakness. It is brutally difficult to deal with. After two scenarios, he has two mental traumas because of it. Go figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.