Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: General question about Marvel Legendary expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan E.

Lawrence
Kansas
msg tools
So I've got a couple dozen plays of the base game under my belt and enjoy playing Marvel Legendary on a regular basis. I have the Dark City expansion but have not opened it yet. My question is about the further expansions (Secret Wars, Civil War, etc.). My Marvel point of reference is the 1980s period; I don't keep up with the comics or the movies. I read overviews of the expansions and don't have a clue what they seem to be about. Will these be enjoyable in their own right or do you really need an understanding of the back story to make these sets worthwhile? Opinions either way? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knowing the story adds flavor to the game, IMO.

Otherwise, the mechanisms definitely hold their own. You may not know who Character X is, but the fact that he/she does A, B, and C is badass.

Just my thought,
rudy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm a fairly casual comic reader now, so there are a lot of things i've never seen before, but that just encouraged me to look them up and read about them.

as for enjoying playing them more or less, it's kind of hard to explain. on the one hand, i have higher hopes for more well-known characters like wolverine, iron man, hulk, etc., so they can occasionally let me down, whereas all of these characters i've just learned about, i have no real expectations, but i obviously tend to gravitate towards wanting to play characters i already know.
when i'm sitting down and actually playing though, if a character's card pool isn't fun for me, i tend to not want to play them as much (or try to find another character that works well with them), and vice-versa if i enjoy a character's cards/combos, and that goes beyond whose name is on the card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Banzon
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry about it man, I passed out trying to read Secret Wars. I woke up with the expansions, and I really am not against Captain America riding Devil Dinosaur. Having no context made it great.

The Cap expansion is a throwback if you want something familiar. Too bad they didn't get the Sleepers. They were a favorite of mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
There are many characters I have no idea who they are. Doesn't stop me from enjoying them in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
??? ???
msg tools
It really depends on you. How important is it to recognize the characters? How strong do you think the game by itself is? To me the strength of the game itself is strong enough to keep me buying expansions as they offer variety. For others though the Marvel brand is the only thing keeping them hooked, and in that case recognizing the characters is super important.

Ask yourself what is important for you in Legendary and form your own answer depending on that answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't really a narrative to how the game plays, so it doesn't matter that you are unfamiliar with the storylines from the comics. Familiarity with the heroes and masterminds does help though. My advice is to buy the expansions that have the heroes you like and want to play.

P.S. You really should watch the Marvel movies though. They're great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a pretty intense Marvel fan; except for Chapterhouse Comics' new volume of "Captain Canuck", everything on my pull list is Marvel, I have the Marvel Unlimited app for those comics I don't buy from my FLCS/FLGS, I watch the movies and TV shows, and play the video or board games when I can. Legendary is the best of the games out there for Marvel, as far as I'm concerned! Armed with this background in Marvelology, my boys and I love to do two things when we're playing: create a scenario in the game that either did happen in the comics, or could plausibly occur in the comics; and using a random generator and creating a story around the result, no matter what it might be. We've had some fun situations where Galactus robs the bank (absurd) and Mr. Sinister infects the population with spider DNA (never happened, but very possible!). I find that if one didn't know the backstories, it wouldn't harm the playing experience, but knowing what is happening in the comics has added to the game for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
You absolutely do not need to know the stories to enjoy the parts of the games based on them. I didn't get to read the Secret Wars story until about six months after I got the two boxes of those cards.

If you are curious about the modern stories, you can do what I do and just check out the trade paperback collections from a library. They get lost or stolen pretty often and where I live (Northern Minnesota) they're in very high demand, but you can't beat the price of nothing! That's how I got to read Secret Wars and quite a few other more or less contemporary things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ling
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Some of my favorite In game characters mechanically are characters I had little to no knowledge of. for example? Maximus didn't know who he was, still learned little about him. but the fact that he turnes the villains henchmen into his own? AWESOME!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
As someone in exactly the same place, I'll say the only sets worth passing on are the Secret Wars. They offer little for those who don't follow that story beyond crazy alternate versions. It introduces sidekicks & the ability to play as the Mastermind, but I don't believe that justifies the purchase. Fear Itself is similarly obscure, but it is mechanically sound with thrown artifacts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes in Secret Wars that are not crazy alternate versions, if you're interested (I am copying and pasting, so ignore the numbers):

1. Black Panther
2. Black Bolt
3. Doctor Strange
5. Thanos
6. Namor
7. Maximus
8. Proxima Midnight
9. Magik
12. Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)
13. Lady Thor
14. Ultimate Spider-Man (Miles Morales)
1. Beast (Illuminati)
2. Captain Britain (Illuminati)
3. Ruby Summers (X-Men)
4. Spider-Gwen (Spider-Friends)
6. Silk (Spider-Friends)
7. Agent Venom (Spider-Friends)
9. Shang Chi (Marvel Knights)
12. Elsa Bloodstone (SHIELD)
13. Corvus Glaive (Cabal)
15. Black Swan (Cabal)
16. Arkon, the Magnificent (Unaffiliated)

22 characters. 20 of whom are part of the Prime (616) Universe. Some of those are very obscure, and some are debatable (is Ultimate Spider-Man a crazy alternate version of Spider-Man? I'd say no.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Organous wrote:
As someone in exactly the same place, I'll say the only sets worth passing on are the Secret Wars. They offer little for those who don't follow that story beyond crazy alternate versions. It introduces sidekicks & the ability to play as the Mastermind, but I don't believe that justifies the purchase. Fear Itself is similarly obscure, but it is mechanically sound with thrown artifacts.

I think the secret wars boxes stand up very well in terms of game mechanics, especially Vol 2, regardless of your interest in the characters.

I think Spectrum, Patrol, Charge, Rise of the Living Dead, Ascending Masterminds & Fateful Resurrection are all particularly fun to play with.

Also these two boxes contain some of my favourite schemes, eg:
Smash Two Dimensions Together
Pan Dimensional Plague
The Fountain of Eternal Life
Crush them with my Bare Hands
Dark Alliance
Secret Wars
Build an Annihilation Army

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilkens
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not enjoy comic books or comic book movies, but I still enjoy Marvel Legendary and all of its expansions because it's a solid game.

At least I now have some context when new movies come out and I have some idea who these characters are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will add to the chorus saying that the game is good even without the comics/movie background. I have read about a dozen issues of Marvel comics in total (mostly from people posting particularly interesting issues to image sharing sites) and I don't think think that I have seen half of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, but I love the game.

Even without knowing most of the characters, I love the deck building game play and would be even happier if I did not have to pay for a pointless tacked on license.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.