Popular Tags: [View All]
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Currently working on my first Kickstarter for my first game It's Just A Theory the game is 95% complete so i have started getting the Kickstarter sorted. I was hoping that i could get some opinions on the following picture which is to be used as part of the Kickstarter.

What do you like about it? What do you dislike? How can it be better?

Thank you for you time!

Update/Edit:

- We are going to remove the trump card from such a prominent position in our Kickstarter image.
- We are going to make the friendly shipping logos clearer and bigger.
- Reduce the number or cards shown to better show of the art work.
- Play with the perspectives of the cards and box.

We will update you with an improved image, thank you for all your comments thank you.

If you wish to find out more about the game you can:

- follow us on twitter: https://twitter.com/JustATheoryGame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How do I play if I cannot open the box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You passed the first test: I was intrigued enough to click the link and read about the game. I'll definitely check it out when you launch.

The Donald Trump card on the top works against the project though, as we here on this side of the pond are pretty f#%*$&g sick of hearing or seeing his name...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what other pictures you will have on your campaign page, but this picture leaves me wondering what the burgundy and green cards are. (I did check out the game page, so I know now...) So, if you have closeups of the 3 card types in close proximity to this picture, it should work.

Aesthetically, I don't find it to be too busy.

What were you hoping this picture conveys?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
You passed the first test: I was intrigued enough to click the link and read about the game. I'll definitely check it out when you launch.

The Donald Trump card on the top works against the project though, as we here on this side of the pond are pretty f#%*$&g sick of hearing or seeing his name...

I was going to offer the same suggestion. For various and sundry reasons, I'd amend that and replace it with a different card. Nothing to be gained really from showcasing it (I mean, if it's already in the game that's one thing, and I remember your thread several months ago asking for advice so I'm sure it's not a reaction to the election).

Otherwise, it looks good. The only suggestion I have is that maybe you want to show fewer cards, and spread them out a bit more so the viewer can get a bit more of the flavor text. There isn't really enough of any of them aside from the top one to really tell -- I wonder if maybe you can't get the same effect with half as many cards, fan them out a bit more.

Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
... The Donald Trump card on the top works against the project though, as we here on this side of the pond are pretty f#%*$&g sick of hearing or seeing his name...

Yeah, replace it with Hillary, and piss off the other half of the country!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incoherent thoughts in roughly the order I had them: It's a card game. It's probably something to do with conspiracy theories. Donald Trump! Can't I avoid him even in a game? Kangaroo, Canadian Flag, US Flag, what's that other thing? Oh, EU flag with a picture of Europe - right it's EU friendly so I might consider backing. Oh you're in the UK, even better. It looks nicely produced. What are all those other cards? How does the game work?

Summary: So your EU logo took a little too long to figure out (the map of Europe was a bit confusing at such a low resolution - though it's fine with the picture at the original resolution) and I'm not convinced including Trump in the images is the best plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:

You brake the box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihai Stanimir
Romania
Timisoara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

Play with the box closed whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
... The Donald Trump card on the top works against the project though, as we here on this side of the pond are pretty f#%*$&g sick of hearing or seeing his name...

Not just on your side of the pond, trust me.

Our kids now laugh at boogy man stories,.

Trump stories however......gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
To avoid cringe worthy moments when they glance at your Kickstarter image, change the first card to Donald's trumpet. It will be an easy change to do. XD

But, to be honest, how did you miss to place first card to be JFK which would immediately suggest it is a game about theories and conspiracies etc, is beyond me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Buffagni
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would replace the Trump card, not because of political reason but because in the last few months there were a huge amount of games on Kickstarter regarding Trump and, in general, US elections.

After a while I started to get bored and skipped them. This is my personal opinion but maybe also other people may think "Another?" and don't check the rest of your game.

A part from that I like it. Not too busy and pretty clear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Armstrong
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes me intrigued and would want to see more about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
✅✅✅✅ ✅❌✅✅❌✅ ✅❌✅❌✅✅ ➖➖➖➖
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As per several above, "Donald Trump" prominently visible is an immediate disqualifier.

That's largely because my first assumption, seeing that, is that it's yet another undeveloped game attempting to capitalize on the election. My second assumption, trying to avoid RSP territory, is that "Trump" + "It's Just a Theory" is an ugly mess of apologia for the sake of juvenile humor (perhaps an aggressively politicized CAH), and I don't have much tolerance for that one, either, at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Are those symbols coins that come with the game?
Is this everything that comes with the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
✅✅✅✅ ✅❌✅✅❌✅ ✅❌✅❌✅✅ ➖➖➖➖
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamredwoods wrote:
Are those symbols coins that come with the game?
Those are standard shipping symbols for the EU, US, Canada, and Australia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

I would love to say that is the first of many challenges involved in uncovering the hidden truths the ruling elites do not want you to know...

However that text is only thematic, I very much hope one day you open a copy of the game and get to play it. We have put a lot of effort into it and have had some great feedback from our play tests. So hopefully you will enjoy it if you get to open it! (or manage to access the contents by other means)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Glad to here you are interested enough to read more about the game.

The Donald Trump card is something we put in the game ages before he was even a serious contender in the electoral race. However we included it as the front card as we all are quite fond of the lizard in a suit art work.

We are also fed up of hearing about him and the election in general. We will be removing the card from this image in favour of another which we will decide tomorrow i imagine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
I'm not sure what other pictures you will have on your campaign page, but this picture leaves me wondering what the burgundy and green cards are. (I did check out the game page, so I know now...) So, if you have closeups of the 3 card types in close proximity to this picture, it should work.

Aesthetically, I don't find it to be too busy.

What were you hoping this picture conveys?

We are planning to include a picture of each of the types of the card on the Kickstarter as well as a description both in brief on the page and a link to a pdf of the rules.

We are hoping that people who look at the image will want to find out more about the game. Does this image want to make you do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

I was going to offer the same suggestion. For various and sundry reasons, I'd amend that and replace it with a different card. Nothing to be gained really from showcasing it (I mean, if it's already in the game that's one thing, and I remember your thread several months ago asking for advice so I'm sure it's not a reaction to the election).

Otherwise, it looks good. The only suggestion I have is that maybe you want to show fewer cards, and spread them out a bit more so the viewer can get a bit more of the flavor text. There isn't really enough of any of them aside from the top one to really tell -- I wonder if maybe you can't get the same effect with half as many cards, fan them out a bit more.

Just a thought.

You are correct the trump card has been in the game for a while, we have taken yours (and others)advice and will be showcasing a different card in its place.

We think that those are great suggestions, we agree it will give us a better chance to show off the flavor text. We are going to implement your suggestions and I will try to post an updated image some time in the near future.

Thank you for your continued support in helping us make our game as good as we possibly can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Perhaps for fairness we should include both and piss everyone off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Incoherent thoughts in roughly the order I had them: It's a card game. It's probably something to do with conspiracy theories. Donald Trump! Can't I avoid him even in a game? Kangaroo, Canadian Flag, US Flag, what's that other thing? Oh, EU flag with a picture of Europe - right it's EU friendly so I might consider backing. Oh you're in the UK, even better. It looks nicely produced. What are all those other cards? How does the game work?

Summary: So your EU logo took a little too long to figure out (the map of Europe was a bit confusing at such a low resolution - though it's fine with the picture at the original resolution) and I'm not convinced including Trump in the images is the best plan.

Your thoughts in the order you had them is probably the most useful way to give them to us as that will be what potential backers will be thinking before they hopefully back the game (or decide not to )

We are removing the Trump card from the image, so your eyes will no longer be forced to see his name. Sorry we will try increasing the size and resolution of the logos in the hope of making it easier to see. Will post a photo with an update hopefully some time in the near future.

I am glad you think it looks nicely produced we ave put a lot of work in and have been working with a wonderful artist.

The game is a story telling type game where each of you take on the role of conspiracy theorists all competing to tell the most conspiracy theories.

There are 3 types of card Conspiracy cards which convey a concept or idea of which you can start to build a theory upon. Fact cards which contain elements you can bring into play to advance your conspiracy. Finally there are the propaganda cards, these cards contain something which your conspiracy is trying to explain and once played end a theory and thus a round.

In a round one player will start to craft a theory, with the goal of leading the theory towards explaining there propaganda card. However while this is going on the other players will try to interrupt (via several mechanics) and steal the theory for themselves and lead it towards there own propaganda card.

The player who manages to end there theory by playing a propaganda card wins the round a points, after as many rounds as the players fancy. The player with the most points wins.

Hope that gives you a brief overview, please check out our board game geek for more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

You brake the box!

I love the inventive thinking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sufertashu wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

Play with the box closed whistle

One day i am going to design a game where that is true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
kswingruber wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Not just on your side of the pond, trust me.

Our kids now laugh at boogy man stories,.

Trump stories however......gulp

We shall be removing the card from the image, we have heard far to much about the election as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.