Subject: Clutches of the Picts: map clarifications? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to host my first game of Conan tomorrow night; but looking over the Pict village map, I have a few questions about spaces and movement between them.

I've added numbers to all spaces on the map (except the huts, which were already numbered 1 through 8). I've covered the unit depictions to reduce distractions.

With this as reference, I'm wondering whether models can move:

- from space 9 to 2 (using the wall wrecker skill)?
- from space 9 to 1 (using the wall wrecker skill)?
- from space 9 to 11?
- from space 12 to 13?
- from space 22 to 23?
- from space 24 to 23?
- from space 24 to 25 (using the climbing skill, or possibly not)?
- from space 24 to 27?
- from space 28 to 1 (using the wall wrecker skill)?
- from space 28 to 2 (using the wall wrecker skill)?
- from space 28 to 9?

... and implicitly in the other direction as well in each case.

There's also a green, tree-filled area bordered by spaces 1, 2, 9, and 28 that almost looks like a space of its own; but there's no LOS "bullseye" printed there so I assume it's a non-space, or part of some other space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Climb is a scenario defined skill so it doesn't apply here. However, for all the cases where there is a fence, I have been playing it as being allowed to use wall-wrecker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caibre wrote:
Climb is a scenario defined skill so it doesn't apply here. However, for all the cases where there is a fence, I have been playing it as being allowed to use wall-wrecker.

Hang on though -- the In the Clutches of the Picts scenario defines Climbing. It allows you to cross that Boulders token by spending an extra two movement points.

That's why I wonder if it's required to move from 24 to 25 (i.e. does that path cross the token?)

Anyway, thanks -- I can see how your approach could work, requiring Wall Wrecker to pass through the palisade art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig K
msg tools
9-1 or 9-2 and 29-1 or 28-2 I don't think any of the Palisade walls around the village can be broken with wall wrecker but that I suppose is open to interpretation.

12-13 I believe there is a palisade wall blocking between them in the bushes.

All the 20-25 space ones Climbing is a per scenario skill and can be used only as the scenario description allows, same as leap and swim. So in this case 23-25 with the climb skill (it's a small stone fence between the hut and the palisade). Again though for a more cinematic experience you could allow it.

As for moving around the outside of the village, I think that would be ok between 9-28 but I'm not sure about 24-27 as there isn't really a gap?

As for the space behind the 1-2 hut I don't think it's enter-able.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hoffmann
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say "no" to all of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen bruton
msg tools
mb
My groups understanding on this scenario are that the only exits in the palisade wall are 10,21,27. Wall wrecker can be used on huts but not a palisade wall (wall would be full logs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies.

Wow, I'm glad I asked this; it seems that the way people are interpreting the map and handling movement over/through obstacles is... all over the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ForeverDead wrote:
All the 20-25 space ones Climbing is a per scenario skill and can be used only as the scenario description allows, same as leap and swim. So in this case 23-25 with the climb skill (it's a small stone fence between the hut and the palisade). Again though for a more cinematic experience you could allow it.

Thanks.

Re. climbing: My question about the Climbing skill when moving from 24 to 25 wasn't about using Climbing to cross the palisade. It was about whether, when moving from 24 to 25, regardless of palisade effects, one would also have to cross over the Rubble token and so had to use Climbing to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ForeverDead wrote:
9-1 or 9-2 and 29-1 or 28-2 I don't think any of the Palisade walls around the village can be broken with wall wrecker but that I suppose is open to interpretation.

12-13 I believe there is a palisade wall blocking between them in the bushes.

This is the crux of the matter: can Wall breaker be used to smash down the palisade? It's wooden. But probably not what the designers intended. But this IS Conan

@ Monolith: An FAQ would be good here, as would be a clarification of LoS. I've been playing VERY strictly. No clear LoS, no ranged attacks/spells. Which severely limits what Hadrathus can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinkster wrote:
This is the crux of the matter: can Wall breaker be used to smash down the palisade? It's wooden. But probably not what the designers intended. But this IS Conan

@ Monolith: An FAQ would be good here, as would be a clarification of LoS. I've been playing VERY strictly. No clear LoS, no ranged attacks/spells. Which severely limits what Hadrathus can do.

Yup; most of my questions have to do with whether the palisade can be crossed freely, or broken with Wall Wrecker, or is completely impassable.

The others are mostly about how the perimeter spaces are connected to each other around the outside of the village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Nothing official, but check this work of French fans :

http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/pinkgizmo/conanmap/blob/master/POC/mapconan.html

I'm quite sure that Monolith will use something like this for all the maps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallantides wrote:

Nothing official, but check this work of French fans :

http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/pinkgizmo/conanmap/blob/master/POC/mapconan.html

I'm quite sure that Monolith will use something like this for all the maps...

That's pretty cool! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Hatt
France
Brest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure it has been confirmed by Monolith on their website that the fences cannot be climbed or broken through in this scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mathhatt wrote:
I am pretty sure it has been confirmed by Monolith on their website that the fences cannot be climbed or broken through in this scenario.

Yes, you're right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.