9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Deus or Elysium rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Eby
msg tools
mb
Looking to add Deus or Elysium to our Christmas list. Which game is better and why? We would like a game that plays well 2-4 players and would be good to play with our 15 year old and 13 year old kids who enjoy games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I've heard mixed reviews on Deus, but I've never heard anything but praise for Elysium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed both but neither game got super reviews with my game group. I still have Deus as it's the one I preferred, but I can see it going away as well. It's a shame though as they are both great games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Deus a lot more. It has a board that people build on, which can be a selling point compared to just tableau building, which they both have.

Elysium probably feels a little less random (I don't think it is, but just the way learning it goes.)

Elysium has tiny text obnoxious cards that are impossible to read in the middle of the table, not to mention they'll be upside down for most players.

Elysium has a little more variability in setup compared to deus without the expansion.

Elysium feels more abstract. In deus you pay for your boat card and it puts an actual wooden boat on a water colored spot. In elysium you . . . collect sets of mythological things in hell because . . . profit?

Shrugs.

If you think you'll like both you can't really go wrong with either.

I bet the majority of complaints about either are VERY superficial. If you like tableau building you will get over the wood icon being part green in deus or the text being small in elysium.

I like them both better than imperial settlers or any deckbuilding game and I like race for the galaxy more than any other euro card game, including these two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both, but neither one did much for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for what it's worth I thought both were pretty mediocre. Deus felt too random and Elysium was just boring/generic. I think I gave Deus a lower rating, but that's because it looked so interesting that I ended up more disappointed. But I'm not you.

Looking over your ratings I'd suspect you'll like both. I still thought it might help though to hear why someone might not like either of these games. Forgive me if I'm wrong on that count.

In more detail, I'd hoped that since discarding your hand came with some benefit you could use this to even out bad draws in Deus. But the problem (just like the problem in Bruges) is that while the game is the kind of game where you're meant to react to your hand, sometimes you really do need a particular color of card. They connected a lot of mechanics to the color of the card and there's no way to reliably draw a particular color when you need it. This can really bite you if you go a while just continuously seeing bad color distributions.

Elysium by contrast is just not all that interesting. Every turn you just take a card, and all of the effects are pretty generic. Get some gold, get some points, trade some gold for some points. It would be one thing if getting the cards were done by an interesting process. It seems at first that being allowed to remove any pillar will make things more interesting, but really it just makes them easier. Now I can take any card I want and still throw away the most useless pillar to me. And I guess if the card effects were more interesting or comboed off of each other more often then it would be an actual decision when to lose their powers to make sure they score, but that decision also generally felt a little too easy to make.

Anyway, sorry to be a downer, it's just that everyone else has been so positive and I figured it might be helpful to hear some downsides of both games. Hopefully for one or both of these games you won't be bothered by the things I'm bothered by and so you'll be more confident you'll like the games. Anyway, good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Deus. It's known to give off a bad first impression, based on luck of the draw. And at first, I was a little turned off from the same thing. But after playing it a few times, I learned there's mitigation against it, and there's a very clever game in there.

Elysium was kind of a one-tricky pony for me. The action selection with the little colored pawns was nice. But that's about where it ended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miira Auroora
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Deus and Elysium are on my top-20 games, so I really like them both.

While Deus might feel random for new players, I don't really find the game random. You just need to know how to work the cards to your advantage. It is not just a card game, the board itself is important, too.

Elysium on the other hand is just a card game. It has many interesting things, especially the mechanism where your cards do not give you points unless you transfer them to your Elysium, but once you do they lose their powers.

Deus has gotten an expansion recently, so there is plenty of replayability there. Unfortunately that is not the same for Elysium. Though there's plenty of cards in the box, it seems there is no expansion coming out.

I would probably go with Deus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Deus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.