$30.00
Javier Avilés
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to the game so bear with me please. Every deluxe expansion (Kazhad -dum, Heirs of Númenor, etc) is followed by adventure packs. In order to play those adventure packs, do I need the deluxe expansion AND the base game? Would I be able to play those packs if I only have the core set? Can I play the packs without the core set (I referring to the cards not the tokens)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, no, no.
NB you can play the first cycle with just the core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play without the core set but it would be really a handicap for you. Above and beyond the tokens and threat counters, you need 3 heroes per player and enough sphere cards to make a deck of 50 each. Without the core you'd probably need to have at least one deluxe expansion and all of its associated cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Devos
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No coreset is something i would strongly discourage as it has so many important cards towards deckbuilding + off course the threat dials and tokens. It's also the best way to get around in the game to learn it for example with the starter decks to see which spheres speak to you the most. But it's mainly for the deckbuilding in the end. I own 2 deluxes and their cycles and in all my decks theres usually still a majority that comes from the Core set.

As for the deluxe sets, you need those to play the scenario's of the adventure packs of the same cycle. Mainly because the adventure packs only provide 1 symbol for the Encounter deck setup, where usually there are 3 or 4 that make up the Encounter deck (the others coming from the appropriate deluxe expansion).

If its to save money check this website:
https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-playe...
This way you can choose which cycles would speak to you the most and buy accordingly.
(off course if you're really bent on not spending much money I would advice against starting an LCG to begin with, but thats just my opinion ^^)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
LCGs are a bit of an investment. Cheaper than chasing mythic rares one booster display at a time, more expensive than buying an optimised deck every few months.

But you get more cards for the money, more variation, and (nearly) everything is valid, because it's not a competitive game. You can make quite a collection of thematic decks from just a core+cycle (that's roughly 750 cards, by the way - prepare some storage).

The cycles have variable difficulty levels which are not exactly ramping up linearly. The Ring-maker Cycle (which starts with The Voice of Isengard) is easier than Against the Shadow (Heirs of Númenor and on). It also has some cool elves.

But I'd recommend a linear purchase. Mirkwood gives you songs, which are dead handy when you have a small card pool, Khazad Dûm and Dwarrowdelf gives you most of the dwarves you need. Adding The Hobbit saga expansions completes your dwarf collection. The sagas add a few interesting player cards, in addition to being a nice change of pace from the main cycles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Howard
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voske4000 wrote:
off course if you're really bent on not spending much money I would advice against starting an LCG to begin with, but thats just my opinion ^^)

Now he tells me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.