Subject: Custom Skills Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zachary Ruiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I figured it'd be nice to have a thread to collect any custom skills people have created, either for entirely new characters or to tweak existing ones. I realize the game is fairly new so I don't know how much interest there is in this, but my plan if I get a few different skills posted is to make (in Illustrator) a PDF of cards the same size as the equipment cards with the custom skill information on them. This would allow players to add these custom skills to their games without needing new character sheets.

And so, without further ado, my first new skill.

Tactical Fighter
After calculating your attack power, you may lower it by 1. If the resulting Attack Power is higher than your opponents Defense Power, you may move the defending Unit to an adjacent Zone. You may then also move to that Zone. If the defending Unit has the Blocking skill, you may not move them, but you may still choose to move to an adjacent zone. This skill may only be used once per turn.

Comments: I thought up this skill as a way to add some more tactical options to combat. It really only shines against enemies with multiple HP. It serves as a (dice dependent) counter to Blockers, who right now either have to be killed or Evaded. It also lets you try and push enemies off of higher elevation zones or move towards a goal while dealing with a high HP enemy, which seems quite cinematic. I'm imagining this Skill on a character like Valeria, who isn't quite elite when it comes to combat, but has reasonable stats. This gives her a "thing" (blocker beating) that other combat heavy characters don't have.

I'm sure the wording could be better, but I'd appreciate any comments. And show me your own custom skills!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the scenarios really seem to be balanced around the fact that the overlord has X number of blocker minions/lieutenants. Removing the effectiveness of the blocker skill would swing the balance tremendously towards the heroes. So, for instance, I would not use this skill in the 'In the Clutches of the Picts' scenario.

However, I do see the potential.

I do think the skill needs some tweaking to make it not so fiddly.

By 'calculating your attack power' do you mean counting the successes on the dice after rolling? If so, it adds too many extra calculations the players need to make before the defender decides on active defense or not.

I also think that it takes away a bit too much from the characters with the Evasive skill. I don't think a hard hitting melee character needs to be able to slip away from a Blocker when they are already engaged.

How about something like this, which performs the same purpose of reducing the effectiveness of blocker, but in a simpler manner, and doesn't step on the toes of Evasive as hard...
Bull Rush - If the model moved before attacking, it may use one of the melee gems spent on the attack to move an extra space instead of on a die. Bull Rush may be used to run through a model with the Blocker skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Ruiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for the feedback and suggestions.

ampoliros wrote:
Some of the scenarios really seem to be balanced around the fact that the overlord has X number of blocker minions/lieutenants. Removing the effectiveness of the blocker skill would swing the balance tremendously towards the heroes. So, for instance, I would not use this skill in the 'In the Clutches of the Picts' scenario.

I agree that this (and any other custom skills) would have to be applied on a scenario specific basis, just as the use of alternative heroes has to be. That specific scenario doesn't have Valeria (my example hero with this skill) in it, but a straight swap with Shevatas (who has Evasive) might not be too terrible. Lowers ability to manipulate for higher combat ability. I've swapped Valeria (with sword and parrying dagger) for Belit and had no noticeable balance change (played it 2 times each way, so not a huge sample size).

ampoliros wrote:

By 'calculating your attack power' do you mean counting the successes on the dice after rolling? If so, it adds too many extra calculations the players need to make before the defender decides on active defense or not.

I also think that it takes away a bit too much from the characters with the Evasive skill. I don't think a hard hitting melee character needs to be able to slip away from a Blocker when they are already engaged.

I used the calculating attack power verbiage because that is the actual term in the rulebook for, yes, totaling up successes after all rules have applied. I felt that was clearer than saying "after you roll your attack dice and make any rerolls" or something like that. It's a simple -1 subtraction, and the attacking player would probably already have it in mind before they rolled. Especially since this only works against characters with multiple HP, it's not going to see really frequent use. A bit like Attack From Beyond. My reason for having the Attacker declare before the defender rolls dice is so the defender can know whether to spend extra dice to (in a sense) outmaneuver their opponent and make sure they can't move them or get by them.

I don't worry too much about stepping on the toes of characters with Evasive since this skill costs a success (so you have to have {armor + 2} successes for this to even come into play). It's more of an additional "nice to have" that opens up new tactical choices.

ampoliros wrote:

How about something like this, which performs the same purpose of reducing the effectiveness of blocker, but in a simpler manner, and doesn't step on the toes of Evasive as hard...
Bull Rush - If the model moved before attacking, it may use one of the melee gems spent on the attack to move an extra space instead of on a die. Bull Rush may be used to run through a model with the Blocker skill.

So you would move after the attack is resolved? And the gem for movement is not counted as part of the attack? I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
swammeyjoe wrote:

So you would move after the attack is resolved? And the gem for movement is not counted as part of the attack? I like it.

Yes, the extra move would be after the attack is resolved.
And I just thought of some extra clarification. It can only be used to make a move that would normally cost 1 gem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.