$30.00
Recommend
16 
 Thumb up
 Hide
57 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Conan» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Conan - too much of a good thing. Maybe. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Before diving into it, a fair warning: my reviews are usually late to the party and I do not go into much of the ruleset, giving just a general overview of the game. Let´s do it.

Conan is a very strange beast to talk about. A product of a very successful kickstarter campaign, it does share some similarities with other games with the same genesis. Like Zombicide and Shadows of Brimstone, for example, it mixes some good ideas, great value and lost opportunities in a crazy mix that definitely creates a product that you do not see in retail.

I will cut to the chase: there are three things in Conan that are great. In fact, they are so great that they carry the game on their shoulders. The other stuff in the game is either mediocre or subpar. However, let me reiterate: what is great is fantastic.

1. The art: The drawings are fantastic (on the cards, the boards), bringing in the theme with aplomb. It is superb.

2. The minis: they are a bit uneven, but most are impressive and when placed together with the art, the game has a beautiful table presence. It is a joy to see everything on the table.

3. The action point system that is the core of the gameplay. Thankfully, the main attraction of the game works. It is just the old action point distribution, but with a clever budget allocation system attached to it, that is fun, intuitive and simple. The dice system associated with it is almost too simple (based on the number of successes rolled) but it fits. The whole thing offers tension, tactical options and some cool strategic considerations. I love it.
That said, this game could have provided infinite multiple orgasms in looping if other stuff had the same impact.

The bad stuff:

1. Rules. Yes, much has been said about the most maligned translation and yes, the bad translation hurts the comprehension of some things. But I actually think that the original rules weren’t that good either. The lack of a table of contents and the way the rule set is organized irritates, but there are a number of other things that I think are major flaws.

Line of sight is a mess, it is too open for interpretation and it is key for a smooth experience. It is so open that it almost has a different line of sight system on each map. In this shrub high enough? The fence? The pot? The balista? The rubble? What really blocks it?

Same thing with elevation and the weird rule that limits minis per space by allowing only what fits in that space. Those are rulesets more akin to RPGs and not tactical boardgames. It has too many things that should be agreed between the players, and they are just in the way of actually playing the game. The fact that it is so easy to create solutions to those problems is just more irritating. In short, the maps have beautiful art, but are simply not functional.

2. The scenarios: they are fun and mostly balanced (with some exceptions), but there are too few of them. It does not help that they are not much replayable either, depending on your group.

They are too restricted, with even the treasure found being predetermined. Not only that, but even some abilities may or may not function depending on the scenario. This helps balance, but some scenarios to me are simply not worth to play again (some you can). There are no rules nor guidelines to change stuff around and, yes, it does not seem that tough to do – so why the developers did not do it? There is a bet on all the extra scenarios that will eventually come up either by the developers or by the community, but sorry, I found them too restrictive. If you compare it with almost any other game in the market you either have more options (like changing heroes, monsters or objectives) or more scenarios (like Space Hulk, for example, which also uses a predetermined model. And Space Hulk does not come with a ton of other stuff that you cannot use teasing you).

This problem is baffling if you received the kickstarter with a ton of extras that have no use. To add insult to the injury the few scenarios that we have use more or less the same heroes over and over and a very similar combination of villains in many of them. It shows a little bit of lack of focus and the problem that kickstarters of this kind are driven by minis and not gameplay. It is not necessarily a bad thing, but I would honestly prefer less minis and more maps, more scenarios, maybe just six or seven heroes that could play in every scenario, bringing more variety and replayability to each one. The heroes could improve with skills and equipment and change from scenario from scenario (instead of having 300 hero profiles). And if we should have the same amount of minis I would certainly go with more monsters and less heroes.

Most say this is a good problem to have. Free stuff, right? And maybe you like to create your own scenarios, and maybe the developer will create a bunch of great scenarios for the game in the future with every possible permutation of heroes and creatures and, to be honest, hyperbole on the side, those are fair assumptions.

Other characteristic of those type of kickstarters is that a strong community always forms around those games – and they make it work (we spend all this money, right?), often with the help of the producers of the game, which will continue to improve their product with the also continuous feedback.

In the end, it is possible that all my rant will be rendered obsolete. A new manual is being produced, new scenarios will come eventually, rules will be clarified in future faqs.

And everyone will live happily forever after.

The game is good, I think the gameplay compensates its flaws and lack of focus on some areas. Just remember that, if you break a wall, it is PLUS 2 movement points, not just 2 movement points.

30 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It shows a little bit of lack of focus and the problem that kickstarters of this kind are driven by minis and not gameplay


Given the small static board(s) this is what I assumed.
Still: Would play, would not buy.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
Quote:
It shows a little bit of lack of focus and the problem that kickstarters of this kind are driven by minis and not gameplay


Given the small static board(s) this is what I assumed.
Still: Would play, would not buy.


The static boards were a deliberate decision, though. It's not really that they were so focused on minis that they didn't think of a tile layout, rather that all things considered, Fred Henry decided against it to allow for smoother gameplay and more varied environments. With tiles, there's no way to piece together tavern bits and swamp bits and castle bits etc. without getting overwhelmed and adding lots of setup time. There's plenty to do on a single map given the scenario system, with battles that flow very differently in two different scenarios.

Right now, it's really the lack of all the promised additional scenarios which is hurting the game; those will come (hopefully) and if Monolith manages to deliver, the issue will be a thing of the past.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
Quote:
It shows a little bit of lack of focus and the problem that kickstarters of this kind are driven by minis and not gameplay


Given the small static board(s) this is what I assumed.
Still: Would play, would not buy.


The gameplay is good, but instead of giving more of it, they gave us more minis. As I said, it has an appeal to a lot of people, so it is not necessarily wrong. It is what it is. it is an amazing tool for people that likes experimentation and building their own scenarios though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:
ionas wrote:
Quote:
It shows a little bit of lack of focus and the problem that kickstarters of this kind are driven by minis and not gameplay


Given the small static board(s) this is what I assumed.
Still: Would play, would not buy.


The static boards were a deliberate decision, though. It's not really that they were so focused on minis that they didn't think of a tile layout, rather that all things considered, Fred Henry decided against it to allow for smoother gameplay and more varied environments. With tiles, there's no way to piece together tavern bits and swamp bits and castle bits etc. without getting overwhelmed and adding lots of setup time. There's plenty to do on a single map given the scenario system, with battles that flow very differently in two different scenarios.

Right now, it's really the lack of all the promised additional scenarios which is hurting the game; those will come (hopefully) and if Monolith manages to deliver, the issue will be a thing of the past.


Th static boards per se do not bother me, but I think, although the art is superb, the art direction for a game is poor. Line of sight, elevation and number of units per space should have a more straightforward and visual solution in my opinion - and it can be done with the art exactly as it is now.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the negative points are the reason that this went right to the marketplace, despite the minis. Couldn't be rid of it fast enough.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Avatar
Nice review. I share a lot of your feelings. The problem is I don't care about sandbox games. I have no interest in going online to find scenarios made by fans that don't suck. I pay for the designer's time to make great things. Someone has offered me 200 for the game. With that I can go online and purchase 4-6 great games. Hard to resist.

I just can't see myself playing this over something like Level 7. I really do with this game was fully cooperative. It would stay in my collection for a long time if it was. Shame. Maybe one day they will find a way to make it cooperative.
12 
 Thumb up
0.03
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Ruiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
zinho73 wrote:


The bad stuff:

1. Rules. Yes, much has been said about the most maligned translation and yes, the bad translation hurts the comprehension of some things. But I actually think that the original rules weren’t that good either. The lack of a table of contents and the way the rule set is organized irritates, but there are a number of other things that I think are major flaws.

Line of sight is a mess, it is too open for interpretation and it is key for a smooth experience. It is so open that it almost has a different line of sight system on each map. In this shrub high enough? The fence? The pot? The balista? The rubble? What really blocks it?

Same thing with elevation and the weird rule that limits minis per space by allowing only what fits in that space. Those are rulesets more akin to RPGs and not tactical boardgames. It has too many things that should be agreed between the players, and they are just in the way of actually playing the game. The fact that it is so easy to create solutions to those problems is just more irritating. In short, the maps have beautiful art, but are simply not functional.



I think the new rulebook will solve most of the organization problems, and hopefully lots of the translation errors. LoS is a 1 minute discussion before the game, pretty much as you have to do with any tabletop miniatures game (and I think why some people find it no problem and others mind it greatly, based on different gaming backgrounds). But I know there are images out there documenting line of sight from all the zones to each other and things like that.


zinho73 wrote:

2. The scenarios: they are fun and mostly balanced (with some exceptions), but there are too few of them. It does not help that they are not much replayable either, depending on your group.

They are too restricted, with even the treasure found being predetermined. Not only that, but even some abilities may or may not function depending on the scenario. This helps balance, but some scenarios to me are simply not worth to play again (some you can). There are no rules nor guidelines to change stuff around and, yes, it does not seem that tough to do – so why the developers did not do it? There is a bet on all the extra scenarios that will eventually come up either by the developers or by the community, but sorry, I found them too restrictive. If you compare it with almost any other game in the market you either have more options (like changing heroes, monsters or objectives) or more scenarios (like Space Hulk, for example, which also uses a predetermined model. And Space Hulk does not come with a ton of other stuff that you cannot use teasing you).

This problem is baffling if you received the kickstarter with a ton of extras that have no use. To add insult to the injury the few scenarios that we have use more or less the same heroes over and over and a very similar combination of villains in many of them. It shows a little bit of lack of focus and the problem that kickstarters of this kind are driven by minis and not gameplay. It is not necessarily a bad thing, but I would honestly prefer less minis and more maps, more scenarios, maybe just six or seven heroes that could play in every scenario, bringing more variety and replayability to each one. The heroes could improve with skills and equipment and change from scenario from scenario (instead of having 300 hero profiles). And if we should have the same amount of minis I would certainly go with more monsters and less heroes.

Most say this is a good problem to have. Free stuff, right? And maybe you like to create your own scenarios, and maybe the developer will create a bunch of great scenarios for the game in the future with every possible permutation of heroes and creatures and, to be honest, hyperbole on the side, those are fair assumptions.

Other characteristic of those type of kickstarters is that a strong community always forms around those games – and they make it work (we spend all this money, right?), often with the help of the producers of the game, which will continue to improve their product with the also continuous feedback.

In the end, it is possible that all my rant will be rendered obsolete. A new manual is being produced, new scenarios will come eventually, rules will be clarified in future faqs.

And everyone will live happily forever after.

The game is good, I think the gameplay compensates its flaws and lack of focus on some areas. Just remember that, if you break a wall, it is PLUS 2 movement points, not just 2 movement points.


On the variety of heroes/scenario, one can only hope that the campaign book will offer quite a few diverse scenarios (I know it is going to use the King Pledge content so I assume it will also make use of the stretch goals). Different heroes are roughly swappable around (Shevatas/Taurus, Valeria/Savage Belit, the various Conans) right now, as each scenario is not perfectly balanced, so in some cases having a more powerful hero might actually help. You will have to do a little pregame prep, but no more than for other games.

The small/fixed boards are a blessing in disguise. I've spent well over 25 minutes trying to put together an Imperial Assault of Descent board, before even getting out cards/figures. Last night I spent 10 minutes for the entirety of setup for playing Conan. Plus having fixed maps means people can release clarifying images for LoS and Movement.

But, of course, I understand, different folks like different things. The Conan base game is great fun, and the 8 scenarios are all playable right out of the box with no trouble. Adding all the Kickstarter extras without the Campaign book or rules for integrating them to the other scenarios obviously takes some work, but it doesn't really take away from the game itself.

I say this as a wargamer/RPGer who occasionally plays board games who loves the works of REH and the world of Conan and bought a Kickstarter off Ebay, so YMMV.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wodzianski
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Painter - Player
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this review is spot on. Good job.

My vulgar two cents - The rulebook sucks. 3+ million on a KS, 2+ years of development, and we get a printed mess. Monolith should be embarrassed.
9 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
swammeyjoe wrote:
[q="zinho73"]

On the variety of heroes/scenario, one can only hope that the campaign book will offer quite a few diverse scenarios (I know it is going to use the King Pledge content so I assume it will also make use of the stretch goals). Different heroes are roughly swappable around (Shevatas/Taurus, Valeria/Savage Belit, the various Conans) right now, as each scenario is not perfectly balanced, so in some cases having a more powerful hero might actually help. You will have to do a little pregame prep, but no more than for other games.


Thanks for the contribution and the counterpoints.

On the subject of the campaign book, however, I would place it on the minus column. Not only it is not yet ready, but it was a separate purchase. Understandable if the game provided a skirmish mode or enough scenarios to use all the stuff you get, but as it is, having to pay even more to enjoy the extra stuff is sad.

And I would argue that the work you have to put to exchange heroes is more than in other games, because you have to create the rules and test them yourself (or rely on the community), which is not the norm.

As I said: I like the game and I agree that it is not overly difficult to change things. But it should have been an option. As it is, it is an oversight. How big it is we will see. It might not hurt the financial success of the game and I hope it doesn't, because the love of the design is clearly there.

A lot of games survive thanks to the strength of its community, but my point is that with the quality of production, quality of gameplay and amount of money Conan has raised, it baffles me that the game needs the community at all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Diavatis
Greece
Melissia
Attica
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
drewcula wrote:
I think this review is spot on. Good job.

My vulgar two cents - The rulebook sucks. 3+ million on a KS, 2+ years of development, and we get a printed mess. Monolith should be embarrassed.


They are very embarrassed and they promised every KS backer new rulebooks for free.
The bad thing is they're rushing it to make the holiday season and they'll probably won't get it right.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This cluster is why I'm steering clear of their next project.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zinho73 wrote:

On the subject of the campaign book, however, I would place it on the minus column. Not only it is not yet ready, but it was a separate purchase. Understandable if the game provided a skirmish mode or enough scenarios to use all the stuff you get, but as it is, having to pay even more to enjoy the extra stuff is sad.


I agree with most of your points in the review. With respect to the campaign book, I think it's a matter of perception. If they had made the King's pledge $20 higher and just included the campaign book with it, I don't think this issue would have been discussed. I'd rather they take the extra time to make sure the campaign book is perfect than ship a hastily done mess. The 12 scenarios in the box will last me a while anyway, but other groups might have different mileage.

Meanwhile, I'll try swapping out heroes to change it up once in a while.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Avatar
drewcula wrote:

My vulgar two cents - The rulebook fucking sucks. 3+ million on a KS, 2+ years of lazy bastard development, and we get a printed mess festering shitpile. Monolith should be embarrassed disemboweled and pooped on.


Fixed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
This cluster is why I'm steering clear of their next project.


I think Mythic Battles is a different beast.

1. The core gameplay is already tested and is not dependent on scenarios. If I get the components I know how to play the game, and I know that I like it.
2. They have the experience of both Mythic Battles and Conan - and it shows on how they are running the campaign.
3. Regardless of any criticism - i love the passion of game designers and producers like Benoit, Leo, Ted Henry. I want them to succeed and I want to help them succeed.

I might be wrong, but I am highly optimist with Mythic Batles.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The mistakes made during the Conan campaign really felt like honest errors and they did own up to and attempt to fix all of them. I still wouldn't call Conan a cluster despite the clunkiness of the rulebook. I was still able to play it fairly easily with just minor hiccups at best and everyone I introduced it to were blown away by the game and how cinematic it feels.

SO, I'm fairly convinced Mythic Battles will be a much cleaner campaign and their constant engagement during the event has been a positive sign as well. They did say they would release the rulebook during the campaign for criticism.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Avatar
Every time I watch a Pantheon video I see a really boring and simple miniatures game, where all the figures and their powers seem insanely homogeneous. They are welcome to keep saying there is depth, but I'm not seeing it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Every time I watch a Pantheon video I see a really boring and simple miniatures game, where all the figures and their powers seem insanely homogeneous. They are welcome to keep saying there is depth, but I'm not seeing it.


That very well may be but it's not relevant to this game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review.

After our first game, I felt that the game play system was really interesting and fun. We actually enjoyed the game, though the experience of reading the rules and performing setup was an ordeal which luckily only one of us (me) had to endure.

As has been said, the rule books are a hot mess and it's not just bad translation. I've worked with French games (as a rules editor) and honestly I feel that they often assume a certain amount of openness and expect the gamers to fill in the gaps with "common sense" rather than try to detail everything with rules. It's a different approach to rules.

I hate that approach. You can see it in the use of "etc." in the list of elements that block Line of Sight and the "rule", "When line of sight is in doubt, players should use their best judgement..."

IMHO, there should not be any doubt. The rules should simply be clear, consistent, and complete.

This sort of...flexibility, and disorganization (weaving in bits of rules as if verbally explaining it), and focus on parts and pieces (artwork and miniatures) rather than the combined whole as a consistent presentation is often excused as providing a "sandbox" for the gamer (that is, customer of an expensive product).

I didn't want to buy a "sandbox", I expected a game. The expectation that we should have to search online for answers, wait for a campaign book (at extra cost), wait for a new rulebook (which I expect will not answer all questions), and build our own scenarios in order to find use for many parts, is IMHO, ridiculous.

The best way to express my displeasure is to simply never buy any further games from the company. Fool me once...

That being said, it is truly a shame. The game design/system really does seem like it has a lot of potential for fun. No doubt it was extensively "play tested" by the designers teaching it to many.

However it is painfully obvious that they didn't have it "blind tested". If anyone had tried playing it based solely on the written material so many problems would have been obvious that they would not have let it out the door as is.

Unless of course, as has been suggested, they simply cared more about getting the game with its art and minis into the market in time for the holiday and before the reviews were known.
6 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Ruiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
zinho73 wrote:


Thanks for the contribution and the counterpoints.

On the subject of the campaign book, however, I would place it on the minus column. Not only it is not yet ready, but it was a separate purchase. Understandable if the game provided a skirmish mode or enough scenarios to use all the stuff you get, but as it is, having to pay even more to enjoy the extra stuff is sad.

And I would argue that the work you have to put to exchange heroes is more than in other games, because you have to create the rules and test them yourself (or rely on the community), which is not the norm.

As I said: I like the game and I agree that it is not overly difficult to change things. But it should have been an option. As it is, it is an oversight. How big it is we will see. It might not hurt the financial success of the game and I hope it doesn't, because the love of the design is clearly there.

A lot of games survive thanks to the strength of its community, but my point is that with the quality of production, quality of gameplay and amount of money Conan has raised, it baffles me that the game needs the community at all.


That's not the game itself, though, is it? It's more of a review of the Kickstarter and the game + the kickstarter exclusives? Which is fair if that's what you're trying to do. But I think the base game (4 heroes & 8 scenarios) is a perfectly reasonable game that doesn't really suffer from the complaints of the OP. The scenarios can probably be played 2-4 times each before they start to get stale, especially the ones that allow for varying numbers of heroes (a single player can take up to four heroes without too much trouble, I've found).

None of the "all this stuff isn't usable" complaints (which are fair) will matter much to people who pick up the game at retail. Now whether or not retail buyers will eventually become a larger percentage than the KS backers is a matter of debate.

All the KS exclusives are just more gravy on top of what is a good game. And of those extras, there are 8 scenarios, an alternate board, and at least one hero (Valeria) that can be used right now (don't have the book in front of me to check which others get used). With promises (so who knows) that the rest of the content will get scenarios.

I realize I sound like a total fanboy, but I'm just totally enamored with this game, haven't had a bad session yet. I also don't mean to dismiss your complaints, just providing a counter-point. For a KS backer who expected to get tons of usable content right away, this must be incredibly frustrating.

PS: I'm hashing out a points system right now using expected values of the dice, taking into account equipment/limits/skills/total gems as well the different scenario's victory conditions. Hoping to have a draft up within the next couple weeks that will let people swap in different heroes/equipment for the current published scenarios as well as act as a rough guide to balancing new scenarios. Right now the numbers I'm calculating are roughly matching people's results as shown in that Collated Results thread. It obviously won't be official, but it may help give people options.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
swammeyjoe wrote:
zinho73 wrote:


Thanks for the contribution and the counterpoints.

On the subject of the campaign book, however, I would place it on the minus column. Not only it is not yet ready, but it was a separate purchase. Understandable if the game provided a skirmish mode or enough scenarios to use all the stuff you get, but as it is, having to pay even more to enjoy the extra stuff is sad.

And I would argue that the work you have to put to exchange heroes is more than in other games, because you have to create the rules and test them yourself (or rely on the community), which is not the norm.

As I said: I like the game and I agree that it is not overly difficult to change things. But it should have been an option. As it is, it is an oversight. How big it is we will see. It might not hurt the financial success of the game and I hope it doesn't, because the love of the design is clearly there.

A lot of games survive thanks to the strength of its community, but my point is that with the quality of production, quality of gameplay and amount of money Conan has raised, it baffles me that the game needs the community at all.


That's not the game itself, though, is it? It's more of a review of the Kickstarter and the game + the kickstarter exclusives? Which is fair if that's what you're trying to do. But I think the base game (4 heroes & 8 scenarios) is a perfectly reasonable game that doesn't really suffer from the complaints of the OP. The scenarios can probably be played 2-4 times each before they start to get stale, especially the ones that allow for varying numbers of heroes (a single player can take up to four heroes without too much trouble, I've found).

None of the "all this stuff isn't usable" complaints (which are fair) will matter much to people who pick up the game at retail. Now whether or not retail buyers will eventually become a larger percentage than the KS backers is a matter of debate.

All the KS exclusives are just more gravy on top of what is a good game. And of those extras, there are 8 scenarios, an alternate board, and at least one hero (Valeria) that can be used right now (don't have the book in front of me to check which others get used). With promises (so who knows) that the rest of the content will get scenarios.

I realize I sound like a total fanboy, but I'm just totally enamored with this game, haven't had a bad session yet. I also don't mean to dismiss your complaints, just providing a counter-point. For a KS backer who expected to get tons of usable content right away, this must be incredibly frustrating.

PS: I'm hashing out a points system right now using expected values of the dice, taking into account equipment/limits/skills/total gems as well the different scenario's victory conditions. Hoping to have a draft up within the next couple weeks that will let people swap in different heroes/equipment for the current published scenarios as well as act as a rough guide to balancing new scenarios. Right now the numbers I'm calculating are roughly matching people's results as shown in that Collated Results thread. It obviously won't be official, but it may help give people options.

Just to clarify.

The quotation above is exclusively related to the kickstarter, but in the review itself I mostly talk about the game at retail, with the kickstarter complain by the end.

I do think that - at retail, that the game does not have nearly enough scenarios. I played all of them in a weekend and really wanted to replay only one after that. You CAN play them more than once and there is some tactical considerations to have with more or less heroes, but it is stretching in my opinion, you can say that about any minis game and they still have more scenarios and more permutations than Conan, most by a large margin. And the quantity of scenarios is further hindered by how restrict they are. This is all at retail.

I guess at retail you might even be further limited because, as pointed out in other reviews, the people most likely to contribute with scenarios are the guys with everything available, so you might be stuck with less scenario options down the road. But now I am just speculating and if Monolith is paying attention they will try to balance that.

I love the theme too, and I guess that is mostly the reason I still have the game. And yeah, a dedicated community might provide a bunch of cool options to the game, like yours. But not everyone is willing to follow that, and I think that's understandable.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Every time I watch a Pantheon video I see a really boring and simple miniatures game, where all the figures and their powers seem insanely homogeneous. They are welcome to keep saying there is depth, but I'm not seeing it.


It is a dumb minis game all right and I am ok with that (hoping for it even). That said, if some of the subtlety of the original game is carried over I will be a happy man. And at first glance it appears that it will happen.

Also, in the gameplay video I have seen the guys were just throwing monsters at each other, which is fine, but the art of war card economy of the game allows for some smart moves and tactics.

It is not complex in any case, but I think it is fun. I really like the card play that controls activation in Mythic Battles.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Miller
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't believe the angst on this rulebook, I have read hundreds, maybe a thousand rulebooks and this one isn't that bad. I have like one question at the time of reading.. where are the spells for Zag in Scenario one. Not listed, but then I read on BGG not listed means he has none for this scenario. Well could have said so. This game isn't meant to be complicated. LOS is pretty simple, ANY THING in the way from the mid of one hex to the mid of another blocks LOS, how hard is that? Guess my Squad Leader playing came in handy. I usually come to BGG for every single game I have played, because I ALWAYS find something I just don't get. Bad rules? I haven't seen a perfect one yet. Unless the designer is right there to ask a question, not sure if it will ever be. Being all sorts of human, we all come at rules with different ideas, perspective, experience, and understanding relates to our personalities. Good rules should be simply this. Can you set up the game and play through it without blowing up your head. I have had rulebooks where I tried to play game and nothing clicked...those were bad. This is not bad.
Lack of scenarios? I find most games come with less than 10 scenarios, so whats the beef? Some games have ONE scenario and nary a gripe out there. shhhheeesh. Can't take the time to go find another inventive players scenario? By all means sell the game! Turn on the computer game...it will all be better soon.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
morpheous wrote:
LOS is pretty simple, ANY THING in the way from the mid of one hex to the mid of another blocks LOS, how hard is that?

Not according the the map link with LoS arrows for the first map posted above. Their lines show that bushes don't block LoS.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Nice review, short and crisp!

I agree with you the rule book is badly written and translated. I also agree with you the line of sight is messy and unclear.

But in terms of static game board, I think that's a matter of personal preference.

Personally, the static game board is a plus for me. Because I don't want to spend 30 minutes assembling a game board out of small pieces (yes, Imperial Assault, I am staring at you!). The fact that Conan came with 3 double sided board is a blessing to me, because I can just slap those beautiful boards on the table and within 10 minutes I can start playing the game, nice and easy!

Setup time and effort can heavily influence how often the game will visit your table! I have had Imperial Assault for over 2 years but I haven't played more than 15 games of it. Meanwhile, I only had Conan for 6 days and I already played 10 games of it!

In Conan, you finish a game in 30-45 minutes and say "hey, let's play another game?" No worries! Just flip the board around, or slap a new board on the table, and you can start playing again. And since the major draw of Conan is its nature of tactical combat, static game board is not much of an issue at all. In fact, it works brilliantly with the game's design; quick, fast, strategic combat.

In Imperial Assault, for example, you finish a game in 45 minutes and say "hey, let's play another game?" Hmm, not sure.... that means spending 30 minutes digging through the sea of tiles and then piecing the board together, then you can play it again.

Regarding the shortage of scenarios, I think Monolith has stated somewhere, that they decided to ship as many minis to the backers in wave 1, where additional scenarios (originally promised in kickstart campaign) will be delivered later. This is because they assumed the backers will be happier to have more minis for painting. But it looks like their decision has backfired against them because a number of backers prefer to have minis and scenarios delivered at the same time.

But I remember somewhere in BGG, in a thread, someone said he/she is involved with the design of scenarios, and more scenarios are on the way. Eventually there will be at least 1 scenario for each KS exclusive and add-on mini. So this means if you have a king pledge and you also ordered the campaign book, there will be 43 scenarios. I don't know how many for barbarian pledge, but considering the hefty box of KS stretch goals, I think barbarian pledge will eventually have a lot of scenarios too.

If you have also ordered add-on packs, then you can expect even more. For me, I ordered the king pledge box and 12 add-on packs plus all 3 expansions (4 scenarios each). So by the time wave 2 hits, hopefully I will then have 43+12+12 = 67 scenarios to play from! For now, I am quite happy with the 16 scenarios that came with wave 1 shipping. Those 16 scenarios are highly replayable, and they will keep me occupied while the rest are being worked on and delivered.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.