Popular Tags: [View All]
Melissa
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My 13yo son is very into Star Wars. Lately he has been really wanting to get into Armada. I'm considering this as a Christmas present, but I'd like some advice. Here are some details. He'd likely be playing with members of his family, mostly me. We also enjoy Star Wars, but we aren't as obsessed as he is. A year or so ago he was really excited about Imperial Assault and got several expansion packs. That really fell flat for us, though, and the expansions are largely unused. I'm the only one in the family who will still play IA with him, and that's not because I have fun with it. (I'm not saying IA is bad, just that we haven't found a way to make it enjoyable for us. It's just not our cup of tea.)

Since IA wasn't a big hit, I'm worried about getting too invested in Armada before knowing if it'll work for us. So, do you think we would be able to tell if we'd like it by playing a few times with one copy of the core game? If not, what's the bare minimum to get a decent feel? I have no problem expanding later if it lives up to my son's hype, but I don't want in for $300 just to have it collect dust after a couple plays.

The models look fantastic. We went to the FLGS to check it out and he was excited about some of the newer ships. His hype only grew Right next to it, X-Wing looked awesome, too, but my son is very interested in the idea of commanding a fleet rather than individual ships.

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Schmidt
United States
VANCOUVER
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
The best thing to do would be finding a FLGS that has an Armada night. You'd have a good chance of getting in a learning game with someone that knows the rules.

Beyond that the core is a decent experience. You should be able to get a feel for the game with that. Just know that the Imperials can seem much tougher in the first couple of games while you figure it out.

Do you have other miniature games that you like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef Kevin
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
Yes, that's me in the latte!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Bryan, the core will give you a great experience and give you a chance to learn the game. You might check out some videos as well if you do not have s FLGS.

Armada is a very epic game, personally I love it more than x wing. It is longer though.

If you want to go beyond the core and not spend much more, I'd recommend the rogues and villains squadron pack for squadrons. It gives squadrons for both sides and brings some classic characters into the mix.

The game is focused on the big ships though, so until you have more big ships you can't add more squadrons, just sub out.

Good chance you can find the core set on sale during the holiday season, along with some ships. You might check coolstuffinc when rogue one comes out, sometimes they have Star Wars sales. Hope it's a hit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Durand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bryan and Kevin told you everything about it.
Armada is a great game,with a large variety of fleet building, you'll enjoy it, however, few things you need to know about it :

-- First of all : You'll need time. When you start this game, the 400pts game is long for beginners. You'll spend about 3 to 4h to play the first games. Of course you can play it in smaller configuration (300pts).

--To bring variety to the game, and to collect all the classical ships of SW universe, you'll need money... Expensive game. Follow Kevin's advices to get the figs at the best price.

X-Wing is a different game, action like. The games are short (about 1h). Armada is much longer, but the fun is greater! If your son liked the Endor space battle, he'd love the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What were the key problems with IA?

Armada is a few things, in some ways it is a deck builder like magic, you build your deck, aka you fleet, and bring it to fight

It is a mid-weight miniature war game (see on par with the complexity/depth of most heavy euros), moderate complexity, and there is a large discrepancy in player skill, overall. It is a big input. The further you push it, the further it can go, good depth to it.

It is a pretty big thinker, it is a slower pace, and it is mostly measured (literally and figuratively).

Lastly it is indeed miniatures, and to be quite blunt the models are a bit big for the play field, can be mildly annoying at times.

That said it is a pretty fantastic game, with the right crowd to play it. I fortunately live in Toronto, which has a very very skilled and active Armada community.

As far as the core set, it was a taste of the game, nothing more. I did not find it terribly satisfying, all it did was show me what the mechanisms and systems of the game were. From there I decided I wanted to explore it, and did, but I find the 'learning game' terribly dull. I play a lot of Armada, so it pays off (2 games a week minimum consistently). If money is an issue, I wouldn't bother. Especially if he'd want to go out and play with the competitive crowd (where doubles of ships may be necessary for your build, just for the cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well, we found a decent price on the core set, so that should be arriving today.

shmitty wrote:
The best thing to do would be finding a FLGS that has an Armada night. You'd have a good chance of getting in a learning game with someone that knows the rules.

Beyond that the core is a decent experience. You should be able to get a feel for the game with that. Just know that the Imperials can seem much tougher in the first couple of games while you figure it out.

Do you have other miniature games that you like?

I looked around a bit. There is a local monthly X-wing group, but I didn't see an Armada one.
We're new to miniature games, so this is a new experience

darthain wrote:
What were the key problems with IA?

Hmmm. In the campaigns we played, it was the Imperials just beating up the Rebels over and over. Also, the winner got new stuff, making him even stronger. I think it might have gone over better if we had a role-playing background or if we were all Star Wars superfans rather than just fans. My kids still like getting out IA and making up their own scenarios/stories, so I think the stories the campaign had didn't shine through for us.

Thanks for the advice! We'll see how the first encounter goes, hopefully this afternoon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
So far, we have a couple of plays of the learning game in and it was fun for all. I hope to get a play of the full rules in this week. If that goes well, he'll probably get a few expansions for gifts.

FrStark wrote:
X-Wing is a different game, action like. The games are short (about 1h). Armada is much longer, but the fun is greater! If your son liked the Endor space battle, he'd love the game.

I asked and Endor is his second favorite space battle. His first is the Battle of Coruscant. He liked the crash into the planet, but it doesn't look like that ship is available. It looks like Endor would be a better battle to draw from? I think Home One is a model he'd like. On the Imperial side, maybe an interdictor? He's been drawing a lot of those lately. (In his free time, he draws SW stuff on paper and programs his own SW games, for which he digitally "draws" his own ship models.)

The Rogues and Villians pack would be nice. Since these play as a squadron rather than a ship, I assume they would complement the ships.

It seems those three sets would give some flexibility and variety for a while. He won't be playing multiple times a week or playing competitively, so I think this sounds reasonable. Now all we need is a bigger kitchen table! The 3x3 area barely allowed room along the short ends for keeping cards, etc. I don't think the table is quite 6' long. We may have to compromise. I don't think a new table is on Santa's list this year

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair H
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to say that the 3x3 space works okay for the intro game, but if you want to get more ships, especially large ships like Home One (and FFG has no intentions of producing Prequel era ships, so classic trilogy battles like Endor are what you're going to be enacting), the 3x6 space is actually pretty important. Otherwise you run out of room to maneuver, and a lot of the tactics are lost in a simple slugfest, which tends to favour the faction with the largest ship on the table (and also greatly benefits the movement control abilities of the Interdictor).

So it might be worth looking into something that could expand your play space if you want to get more expansions for Christmas. Nothing as crazy as a new table is required, but some playmats or a board you could lay over the end of the table to expand the surface could really enhance the experience. I know a lot of people say they've had good experience with getting a 3x6 yoga mat, that rolls up neatly for storage, and is sturdy enough to play on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should probably make him get friends!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Core, Home One, Interdictor, and R&V will give a good bit of variety. Welcome, and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
Yeah, Core, Home One, Interdictor, and R&V will give a good bit of variety. Welcome, and have fun!
Thanks!

scifiantihero wrote:
You should probably make him get friends!
Apparently only friends who want to play Armada count?

gathraawn wrote:
FFG has no intentions of producing Prequel era ships, so classic trilogy battles like Endor are what you're going to be enacting
Yes, sorry for bringing up those movies (All six were out before he first watched them.)

This morning, I measured the table at 3'x5', so that might just do in a pinch. (Maybe tighten up the setup area a couple inches?) He got the idea of playing on my parents' pool table, which just might work. Otherwise, the floor (seems uncomfortable) or something else. Maybe a thick piece of foam board? Seems easy to knock over. We'll think of something!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:

The interdictor should read ISD, it (interdictor) really isnt as great as I'd like it to be, and is hard to make fit well given its high point cost. I can't recommend it for anything but completing sets, not building them. A fun ship, certainly, but it is underwhelming. It is a slick model though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
monkeykins wrote:

The interdictor should read ISD, it (interdictor) really isnt as great as I'd like it to be, and is hard to make fit well given its high point cost. I can't recommend it for anything but completing sets, not building them. A fun ship, certainly, but it is underwhelming. It is a slick model though

It's a ship his kid likes, has some fun tricks, and goes well in a 300-350 point list with the VSD. It's not tournament play, anyways, I'd say keeping track of point totals is probably unnecessary for the OP. It's also cheaper than the ISD.
I will say the ISD is probably the coolest miniature model I have seen, up there with the CR90 from X-Wing.

mellyagain wrote:

This morning, I measured the table at 3'x5', so that might just do in a pinch. (Maybe tighten up the setup area a couple inches?) He got the idea of playing on my parents' pool table, which just might work. Otherwise, the floor (seems uncomfortable) or something else. Maybe a thick piece of foam board? Seems easy to knock over. We'll think of something!

3x5 is fine, especially with 2-3 ships per side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
darthain wrote:
monkeykins wrote:

It's a ship his kid likes, has some fun tricks, and goes well in a 300-350 point list with the VSD. It's not tournament play, anyways, I'd say keeping track of point totals is probably unnecessary for the OP. It's also cheaper than the ISD.
I will say the ISD is probably the coolest miniature model I have seen, up there with the CR90 from X-Wing.

Missed that bit, there are so many things I want to work better than they do with the dictor.. haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Hamtzany
msg tools
Have you considered Star Wars: Rebellion instead?

Not that I'm dissing Armada, but Rebellion is also a great Star Wars game and less of a money sink.

It is also a totally different game, so you should choose between them based on what your son & family will prefer playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.