Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we check for both leaders after the battle, keeping in mind that one leader could have been used for his tactical rating and another for his campaign rating?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 8.41 Leader death check when more than one leader in arm
Hey Michael!

Leader death checks are for all leaders present in the battle space, whether their ratings are used or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This rule doesn't make any sense to me. Say you had, as I do now, an elite leader and a 1-4 leader with an army in the same space and you wanted to attack a town using the 1-4 leader's tactical rating, why do you have to roll leader death for both leaders?

You should only have to roll leader death for the 1-4 leader and not have to risk losing your elite leader in a minor attack (as if Caesar or Africanus would risk their lives attacking a small town when someone else could do it for them), even if we are talking about 2 consuls I doubt both would risk their lives in the same attack, don't you agree?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, each turn is over a 25 year period. Can you see two generals operating in a campaign in a area for 25 years and one of them sitting around and doing nothing? I don't think he'd last long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From the example above, he's not doing nothing just allowing the other general to attack a town during that particluar phase of the activation (or 6 yr campaign), and should not have to risk a leader death roll - I think it makes sense and would also make moving 2 leaders together a useful strategy if you could protect an elite leader a bit.

It seems a little unnessecary, and unrealistic, to risk an elite leader, with a rating of 3 or 4, attacking a town during his campaign, where his effective rating is 1, when there is another leader sharing the space who can do it.

One of the few leaders I know from ancient history to attack town/city walls in person was Alexander, but that doesn't mean every other elite commander did it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 8.41 Leader death check when more than one leader in arm
You know, Greg, I agree with your reasoning, but I'm certain of the rule. You do have to roll for each leader in the space when there is a battle.

Edit: Also, don't forget that there have been leaders killed even when interrogating prisoners! ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mgringo wrote:
You know, Greg, I agree with your reasoning, but I'm certain of the rule. You do have to roll for each leader in the space when there is a battle.

Edit: Also, don't forget that there have been leaders killed even when interrogating prisoners! ;-)

Thanks Michael, I know it's only a minor issue (unless of course you roll a 12), but its nice that someone agrees with my reasoning!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
RHB and I discussed this during development. We ended up with the system as it is because it makes more sense. These are campaigns, not battles - and even in battle situations it wasn't as simple as one leader sitting out of harm's way while the other went in. In the case of the Romans, at times the two consuls would trade off day-to-day (well, at least once they did this that we know of). And other leaders would get directly involved in battles.

The other thing is that leaders died or got replaced during a time frame this large - even elite ones.

So while I see the point about not rolling for the main leader, to me the rule makes more sense as it is.

Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.