Popular Tags: [View All]
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of the 2 health and 2 sanity he gives you to shield damage. He saved my ass last scenario due to this. He only gives 1 fight as a skill check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The +1 is in effect while he's in play. The free trigger can only be used after you've paid for the card and put it into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
The definition of 'control' tripped me up initially (not so much had me playing wrong, but I knew that if I'm told to 'discard a card I control', yet, according to rules, I control everything in my discard, for example -- obviously I was missing something).

There're additional pieces to the puzzle elsewhere in the Rules Ref.

Namely, there's a fundamental rule in the opening bulletpoints under 'Ability' on page 2 of the RR,

Quote:
Card abilities only interact with the game if the
card bearing the ability is in play, unless the
ability (or rules for the cardtype) specifcally
references its use from an out-of-play area.

'In play' doesn't include cards in areas you control like your hand, your discard, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Twizzleman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Cant think of one wrote:
If you can add any cards you want to buff yourself during a Fight action without paying asset costs, why would you ever pay the asset cost associated with the Beat Cop to Play it as an action? I'm still learning the game. Am I missing something here?

The cards in the game serve 2 functions. First, you can play them for their primary purpose by paying their resource cost and adding the card to your play area in front of you. The abilities on the card are now active and can be used during your turn. The skill icons on the side serve no purpose (at least not yet) once the card is in play. Second, you can commit them to skill checks to boost the ability being tested, then discard them. In your example, lets say you already have another copy of Beat Cop in play and have a second copy in your hand and are about to test your combat skill via Fight. You'll get the passive +1 combat from the ability of the one in play, then before drawing from the chaos bag, you can commit your other copy of Beat Cop to add another +1 combat, due to its 1 skill icon, along with any other cards you'd like to commit and discard from your hand. Or you could hold on to the other Beat Cop and play him if your first copy gets killed or driven mad. I love that the cards serve two purposes and it really makes you think hard about what you want to keep versus playing. I hope that helps to clear it up for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.