Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Pay 1 Combat Card + 1 Coin to Produce on 2 Territories rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan S
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
1. On the Factory card mentioned in the subject line, does the Mill still allow for bonus territory production?

Leaning towards no because the mill icon isn't on the factory card. With that said, the rules state that the mill applies 'whenever you take the produce action' so I guess I need to know if there's a distinction between the factory produce action and the standard produce action. Obviously, I know there's a difference between the benefits on the factory versions of various actions.

2. If 'no' to question 1 and a hex with the mill is selected (as one of the two production hexes), does the mill still act as a worker and produce a resource?

Leaning towards yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say yes to you getting whatever is on the hex. The card is territories. If one of those has 3 workers and a mill then you get 4 from that hex and whatever else from the other hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: See Torgo's comment below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torgo Shuffle
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to confuse things further:

"SEPARATE FROM PLAYER MAT BONUSES: Even if the Factory card action does something similar to another action on your Player Mat, they’re completely independent of one another. So you get neither Recruit Ongoing Bonuses, Structure bonuses, nor coins from similar actions on your Player Mat."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
jameystegmaier wrote:
1. Yes, similar to how the Mine can be used when taking any Move action, the Mill can be used when taking any Produce action.

Oh wow, I played this incorrectly tonight then. Good to know. That factory card is even stronger than I thought and I was really enjoying it as I had all eight workers out and was substituting a combat card for a popularity and power as part of production

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
torgoshuffle wrote:
Just to confuse things further:

Now that's interesting because it would seemingly contradict what Jamey just said. It must be extremely difficult writing rules for complex board games

I knew you didn't get the coins and the enlist bonuses. That seemed clear to me for whatever reason (isn't part of the strategy denying your opponents enlist bonuses by utilizing your unique factory card?), but the structure bonuses seemed a bit more questionable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that that Mill will still count as a worker (in much the way the Mine still works on the move), but it cannot be used as an additional hex (like it can on the normal produce action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so my previous reply was completely wrong! Torgo, thank you VERY much for finding that rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dieggo
Spain
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyway, you can use your own Mine (it is a structure) to take the move action of the Factory card, do you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
mangote wrote:
Anyway, you can use your own Mine (it is a structure) to take the move action of the Factory card, do you?

Yes, you can. I think that the wording of rules for the buildings have been chosen with great accuracy.

The mine explicitly states that: "Unlike the other structures, this is an ongoing ability associated with all unit movement."

Also, in my head the mill had 2 effects:
a) it activates the hexagon it is built on during production, and
b) it counts as worker when producing.
But thinking about it in this way - even if it's simpler - led me to almost ask Jeremy if the b) part of the effect is still valid during production triggered by a Factory card, in case I choose the hexagon with the mill.
Then I went to look up the actual definition in the rulebook and I found that the wording, while leading to the same result on the "normal" Production action (the one you find on the Player Mat), actually excludes the entire mill bonus when a Production is triggered by the aforementioned Factory card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
So is the official answer that the mill does not produce an extra hex nor does it act as an additional worker even if a hex with a mill is selected as one of the two hexes on the aforementioned factory card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jordan: Yes, that's the official answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Ok, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.