Subject: Public commitment: Not buying new games in 2017 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With Black Friday upon us I thought this is a good moment to post this.

In December 2014 I have started a public commitment not to buy myself any new games in 2015. Almost 50 people joined that commitment - each on their own terms - some for half of a year, some with spending limit. A lot of people fulfilled their commitment but for everyone it was a good occasion to learn something about themselves. At least it was for me.

Here is the original geeklist: Public commitment: Not buying new games in 2015

Next year, we applied what we learned in Public commitment: Not buying new games in 2016

In short: owning 65 board games, almost 200 pc games (many of them never played) and many roleplaying games and having limited playtime with two small kids I was buying more than playing. I was thinking "thats what I need, that will make my collection complete!". Compulsive buying was my problem. On the other hand I was constantly trading games away, even after 1-2 plays.

This year I want to make such commitment again as I found it good for me.

I have made myself few rules:

* I can't buy (or back) computer, roleplaying and board games for myself.
* I can, but only if they wish so, give games to my wife and daughters
* I can trade games - I participate in math trade 2 or 3 times a year trading maybe 2 games each time - I suspect this number to drop with stream of new games going dry
* I can get game as presents - I have birthday in October and usually get 1 or 2 games.

In the same time I want to focus on playing and getting fun from games I own.

If you think not buying games for a year would be something good for you, just add the item to the list and track your progress if you want

The above rules are the ones that I plan to conform to - feel free to use them also or outline your own in the entry. It doesnt have to be quitting cold turkey. Some people set limits - like number of games, or the budget - raised by selling games they own.

Main reason is to make your spending more responsible, to withstand overwhelming affluenza.

I know that jumping in is leaving your comfort zone - it is for me - but just sit with this for one minute thinking if it would be good for you.

And we have a microbadge: mb !!!

Here is the geeklist: Public commitment: Not buying new games in 2017

And happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

Are you sure it's safe to attempt such a drastic withdrawal?

Why don't you try not buying a game one day at a time, and reward yourself after each day's accomplishment. You could then augment your withdrawal program with patches.

But don't try electronic game replacements, they won't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

Why don't you try not buying a game one day at a time, and reward yourself after each day's accomplishment.

... by buying a game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

Are you sure it's safe to attempt such a drastic withdrawal?

For me it is about mindful choice.

I still trade games and get few games as presents - but as this number is limited I need to consider whether I will like the game, if it will get played and so on, instead of just "lets buy it and see what happens".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Ahahahahahahahaha hahaha hahahahaha ha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you know when adults try to play the quiet game and that one kid always loses like almost instantly?

i'm that kid if i ever say i'm going to join one of these things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
Yeah I failed hard at this this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
you know when adults try to play the quiet game and that one kid always loses like almost instantly?

i'm that kid if i ever say i'm going to join one of these things

yeah, but if it's something you want to improve on, it still requires practice. :)

This actually reminds me of a story my husband's cousin recounts about growing up as a talkative kid. One day while driving home and she was in the car chattering away her dad suggested "I'll bet you can't keep quiet until we get home" She immediately replied back "I bet I can't either" and kept on talking.

I did this in 2015 and 2016, failed to meet my goals both years, but on the whole I am happier with my relationship to my collection than I was before joining the challenge.

And I love your avatar, btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Copy Imitator
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I try this I'll fail my 'Only back 1 Kickstarter per month' challenge. I'm having enough trouble with that one already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not have to buy.

You can join the Print and Play Community. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anijunk wrote:

You can join the Print and Play Community. whistle

Ha! I already did
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well seeing as how I just finished off my want list during this weeks sales I think this is an interesting challenge. One problem though, I have to pick up a copy of Terraforming Mars when it gets restocked in January. Soooooooooooooooo one game for the year it is, I suppose.

Is there a weekly meeting to keep me on track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:

You can meet us on the Hot Deal forums. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Send the money you would have spent on games to me so that I can spend it buying games for me!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I can't make a commitment to not buy any games in 2017, I think I'm fine continuing what I did this year, and that is spend no more than $100 for the next year. I'd have to double check my records, but I believe I only spent about $50 to $80 this year, and it was all on games that were 50% off list price or more.
On the plus side, that frees up a lot of money for apps like here...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/59820/app-news-thanks...

If I get wind of more games that are at least 50% off list price, then I'll snatch them up, which is why I won't commit to "absolutely no games".

Also, I'm not counting money spent getting to board game conventions.... gas, badges/admission, hotels, and buying more outside food as a result of the trip. I will count games I buy at conventions, but as they hardly have sales, it's not worth it, and I haven't bought any games from there... I don't see this making a difference. At most, I may buy a meeple refrigerator magnet, a video game sticker, etc. Accessories. Not actual games.

EDIT: clarification on the convention part
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
Well seeing as how I just finished off my want list during this weeks sales I think this is an interesting challenge. One problem though, I have to pick up a copy of Terraforming Mars when it gets restocked in January. Soooooooooooooooo one game for the year it is, I suppose.

We update progress each on their geeklist item HERE

ackmondual wrote:
While I can't make a commitment to not buy any games in 2017, I think I'm fine continuing what I did this year, and that is spend no more than $100 for the next year. I'd have to double check my records, but I believe I only spent about $50 to $80 this year, and it was all on games that were 50% off list price or more.

Many of people joining set themself more relaxed set of rules rather than quitting cold turkey. Just scroll through the geeklist for some examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to force myself to only buy games that check at least one of these 3 criteria:
1) has a solo mode (in the rulebook or on BGG),
2) has proven to be enjoyed by members of my group (played in an other group or very similar to a game already enjoyed),
3) has currently a lower price/is currently a good deal.

And for now my planned purchases for 2017 are:
- sleeves (a bunch !) for games I already own,
- a box organizer for one of my most played games,
- a game (follow criterion 2) with its expansion (crit. 1),
- an other game (crit. 1),
- an expansion (crit. 1),
- a KS for a game (crit. 1).

And on my browser I have a "in sales ?" folder I will check during the sales periods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Those are great rules Alexander. I highly encourage you to join The Geeklist.

In just 3 days 33 people made the jump!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
godunow wrote:

Those are great rules Alexander. I highly encourage you to join The Geeklist.

In just 3 days 33 people made the jump!

And I'm amongst them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Between my gaming groups being hours out; another one leaning towards NOT splitting up to play games (so games there should ideally play 6 to 9p); and another one where I could get in some of my games, but no more than a few sessions a year (everyone else also has their own libraries)....

In the same way how people do 10x10 challenges or 16x16 challenges, I could realistically shoot for buying 0 (zero) games this that year (2017)

EDIT: "This" year as in 2017, the year that's discussed in this thread, in case that wasn't clear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iori Yagami
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It always interested me, if money is not a problem, then why not buy more fun stuff, and if it IS a problem (games ARE expensive, as eastern european (central, or whatever, btw), you might understand), then problem is solved - you only get the toppest, most component-hour-mechanic filled box you can get with least shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My goal is to buy no more than 10 games in 2017. And by "buy" I mean "acquire", so that includes trades, auctions, etc. And by "games" I also mean "expansions". So that new Neuroshima Hex army coming out in Feb 2017 will count, even if it's only $10.

For comparison, here's what I acquired in 2016 (so far, admittedly). I think it's complete.

10 Days in Africa
13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis
51st State: Master Set
7 Wonders Duel *
Argent: The Consortium
Blood Bowl Team Manager: The Card Game
Carcassonne: Star Wars
City Tycoon
Cobras ***
Codenames: Pictures
Colt Express
Epic Card Game: Tyrants 4 Pack Bundle
Fidelitas
Flip City
Fugitive ***
Guns of Galacia **
Healthy Heart Hospital
Herbaceous ***
Hocus
Kodama: The Tree Spirits
Mottainai
Neanderthal
Neuroshima Hex: Mephisto
Neuroshima Hex: The Dancer
Pandemic Legacy
Patchwork *
Pax Porfiriana: Collector's Edition
Seafall
Terraforming Mars
The Bird Told Me To Do It ***
The Swarm
Time Stories
Tiny Epic Galaxies
WarpWar ****
Wir sind das Volk!

* - Gift
** - Won as prize
*** - Backed on KS
**** - Bought from Ron...this year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the sound of all this... Although I find myself in the middle of 2 expanding games... Any suggestions on how I incorporate?

I have been trying to make all my purchases "self funding" for a year or so, but still leaves me with games I haven't played, while I still add new titles (whether it has "costed" me or not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iori_Yagami wrote:
It always interested me, if money is not a problem, then why not buy more fun stuff, and if it IS a problem (games ARE expensive, as eastern european (central, or whatever, btw), you might understand), then problem is solved - you only get the toppest, most component-hour-mechanic filled box you can get with least shipping.

What good would it be to get all the games if you do not have time to play it ?

I was buying many games only to play them 1-2 times and let them gather dust. My friends, even those who like games were sick of learning rules of yet another game. I felt like I'm getting games to match my vision of who I am - Board Game Geek.

There are additional things stopping me from buying: trying to live frugally, avoiding excessive consumption, caring for the planet - if everyone bought all the fun things they can afford we would sank beneath garbage - although boardgames make a good compost

pedro_ak wrote:
Like the sound of all this... Although I find myself in the middle of 2 expanding games... Any suggestions on how I incorporate?

I have been trying to make all my purchases "self funding" for a year or so, but still leaves me with games I haven't played, while I still add new titles (whether it has "costed" me or not).

Everyone who joins the commitment sets themself rules - some quit cold turkey, some make rules like "One in, one out" (or simply "No games but expansions to my LCG") - scroll through the geeklist to see how they deal with similar problem.

Hope to see you there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I've "signed up"!

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/217376/item/5052657#item5...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.