Popular Tags: [View All]
Russ Massey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

20 December (Turn 5)
Mud, Fair, 1 hexes
Allied Air Points: 4
German replacements are 3AV, and 8 non-AV.
Allied replacements are 7AV and 6 non-AV.

The German wins the first player roll, and chooses to activate first. The Rigid German restrictions on Rollbahns are now dropped.

Panzer Lehr Division
Fatigue: Fresh
SNAFU mods: +1
Activation: Pass
Lehr fans out to cut supply to 7th Armored, overrunning the trains of CCR/9 and 112/28 while putting units on the Werboment Road. TF Erlen of 7th Armored is driven off with losses, allowing the Division’s JgPz battalion to overrun the 7th Armored Train at the cost of a step. Fresh status is lost but a 2nd activation is gained.

Fatigue: 0
KG von Fallois attacks 1/325 from the 82nd, and it retreats north with heavy losses. Fatigue increases to 1.

I’m struggling to find some way of dealing with Panzer Lehr and opening supply to 7th Armored. 3rd Armored coming down from the north would need two full activations to be of any use. The 82nd could attack south, but would leave Peiper an open road.

And now I realise that Lehr did not have a legal Train, as the 101st had moved to cut the road at the end of the previous turn, and five real-world days later I forgot about that. It’s too hard to rewind a double activation, but I’m going to remove the Train for the first activation and then add MSR Blocked 1 for the 2nd activation. I’ll also make each unit of the Division lose a step (although this would only happen at MSR Blocked 2 normally), sending the JagdPanzer battalion to the graveyard. I’ll also increase Fatigue to 2 to penalise them for having higher SNAFU mods than they should have. The two full activations should probably have been partials, but the die rolls are long forgotten and this should balance the effect.

I think I’ll try to re-open the supply road with the 82nd.

82nd Airborne Division
Five battalions and the attached tanks race south and throw themselves at the Lehr units blocking the road. Both Lehr battalions are forced to retreat, but the I/901 is still holding the road closed near Salmchateau. The Division remains Fresh, but rolls a 1 and fails to get the 2nd activation that could have sealed the deal.

150th Panzer Brigade
SNAFU mods: -1
The Brigade is charged with killing the battalion of the 1st ID that has cut supply to 1st SS Panzer. Attacks by fire kill 1 step, but the target survives the assault and retreats north of the Warche. Fatigue increases to 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

99th Infantry Division
SNAFU mods: -4
Activation: Partial
While back in supply, the formation readies all its unprepared battalions and sets a defence of Elsenborn. A barrage kills a step of the II/19 from 9SS. Fatigue remains at zero and there is no 2nd activation.

9th SS Panzer Division
Fatigue: 1
9th SS has mixed fortunes. The I/9 Panzer battalion easily drives off TF Jordan with 2 steps lost, but then runs into the TDs of TF Davisson and loses 2 steps itself. It has cut supplies to the Elsenborn defenders but only has a single step remaining. 1/23 of the 2nd ID is eliminated by KG Recke and an infantry attack, but further north the division is unable to eliminate the 9th ID’s bridgehead. Fatigue remains at 1 and a 2nd activation is gained.

The damaged panzers are pulled back and replaced by an infantry battalion. Infantry also finish off the 3/47 battalion of 9ID and recover the stream line. III/19 forces an unprepared defender to flee and pushes its way next to Elsenborn and the undefended 99ID HQ. It is surrounded by enemy and loses a step to isolation. Fatigue increases to 2.

CCA/9th Armored Division
SNAFU mods: 0
Activation: Fail
The Failure is taken and the 19th tank battalion flips to deployed. A roll is made for a 2nd activation but this fails. The units are not isolated as there are no real AV ZOCs blocking the safe path to them. (hope I’ve been playing this correctly previously, but I think I may not have been).

KG Peiper
SNAFU mods: -3
One step of Tigers are lost to mechanical problems (to 3). The remainder move to Stavelot, capturing the south end of the intact bridge and killing a step of the unsupported defenders. Further shelling causes no more casualties to the paratroops, and an attempt to drive over the bridge into the city just loses another step of Tigers. Fatigue remains at 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

30th Infantry Division
Battalions are directed south towards Stoumont and La Glieze in case Stavelot should fall. Fatigue remains at 1. A 2nd activation is rolled.

Men continue to march. Continuous shelling has eventually killed a step of 1st SS outside Francorchamps. Fatigue remains at 1.

352nd Volksgrenadier Division
Fatigue: 2
The HQ relocates forward, allowing the I/915 to move along the road to Echternach, bouncing the trains of 10th Armored and 109/28. A barrage has no effect. Fatigue remains at 2 and a 2nd activation is rolled.

Activation: Recovery

The Allies are in a real bind. So many of their units are waiting to be activated but have severed MSRs. I can’t find any units that could activate to restore the situation without another German unit being available to reverse the progress made. I’m going to have to try activating the cut off units for the slim chance they might be able to avoid a fail and do some good.

10th Armored Division
SNAFU mods: -5
Well what do you, a roll of 11! Armour races south to throw the impudent I/915 off the Skyline Drive. Over-confident Shermans lose three steps attempting to drop support, and when they finally achieve it the subsequent attack as a bust, with another step of Shermans lost. A new supply route is set up via trails south of the Sure and West of Ettelbruck. Fatigue increase to 2 and there is no 2nd activation.

I/915 is actually SD, though not shown on the screen cap.

Fuhrer Grenadier Brigade
SNAFU mods: +2
The Brigade moves through Vianden and blocks the easy passage back north for 10th Armored. There is no 2nd activation.

109th/28 Regiment
SNAFU mods: -2
The 3rd battalion takes a step loss breaking free of the encirclement by 2 battalions of the 352VG. Fatigue remains at zero and a 2nd activation is gained.

A barrage kills 1 step of I/914. Fatigue remains zero.

26th Volksgrenadier Division
Fatigue: 3
Prep Def is dropped
A flip is taken to reduce fatigue to 2.

CCB/3rd Armored

TF Love is sent north to try and cleat the Elsenborn road of 9SS infantry. An attempt to drop support runs into the SS Division’s Jagdpanzers - Love loses a step (to 5) and creates traffic in its hex. TF McGregor leads the attack through the woods and clears the road, driving off II/20 with a step loss (to 4). Fatigue increases to 3 and a 2nd activation is gained.

277th Volksgrenadier Division
The formation moves forward into contact with the retreating 2nd ID. Barrage has no effect. Fatigue remains zero and there is no 2nd activation.

1st Infantry Division

Fatigue: 4
A 2nd activation is gained.

The remnants of the 3/26 move back to occupy Waimes. TF Davisson uses the rail tracks through the marshes to engage II/9 Panzer battalion, but suffer a step loss and traffic. The 2/18 Infantry battalion attacks north our of Camp D’Elsenborn and succeeds in dispersing the last step of the I/9 Panzer battalion. A barrage kills a step of the II/19. Fatigue remains at 3.

2nd SS Panzer Division
Mud bogs down the advance of the HQ, restricting the advance of the lead units who head for Vielsalm. A 2nd activation is gained.

The panzers sweep into Vielsalm and across the river. Tank shells and artillery wreck havoc on two stacked battalions of the 82nd, leaving the 1/504 with a single step and the 2/505 with 2. Fresh status is lost. The 82nd desperately needs some anti-tank support.

So I’ve been thinking about the Allied position for a couple of days before it hit me. Airpower! I’d forgotten that the US have 4 air points this turn. With luck they can supply 7th Armored and allow them a full activation to kick Lehr off their supply line.

7th Armored Division
Use 4 air points for Air Supply
TF Brown moves north to engage the I/901 Panzergrenadiers, but fails to drop support. TF Fuller follows up and drops support with the first shot, but is unable to kill a step. This allows the armoured recon to infiltrate past the German unit and kill 1 step (to 1) with 2 attacks by fire. It is essential that the enemy is eliminated, as a retreat could still potentially close the MSR. The attack goes in with a 2pt destruction barrage, but the I/901 pulls back to 1110 with a step loss to TF Fuller. Fatigue increase to 2 and there is no 2nd activation. The Train is removed from the map

3rd Panzergrenadier Division
The Jagdpanzers drop support on the 3/26 battalion guarding Waimes, and the 103 Recon finishes them off with an attack by fire. They continue north to call in barrages which kill a step of 1/16. The rest of the Division congregates around Waimes. Fatigue increases to 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

CCR/9th Armored Division

SNAFU mods: -6
The Train is removed from the map. They do not roll for a 2nd activation.

Fuhrer Begleit Brigade
SNAFU mods: +2
The Brigade takes the road through Clervaux toward Bastogne, hampered by the mud. A 2nd activation is gained.

The Panzer Battalion supported by the Stugs drop support and reduce the 3/501 to a single step, forcing them back off the Bourcy road towards Bastogne. Two battalions of infantry attack the 2/502. It takes a step loss (to 4) but still holds its ground, interdicting the supply road to Lehr and 116 Panzer. Fresh status is lost.

9th Infantry Division
A barrage kills 1 step (to 3) of the II/20 from 9SS. Fatigue remains at 2 and there is no 2nd activation.

326th Volksgrenadier Division
Drop Prep Def
A flip is taken to lower fatigue to 1.
The formation is ordered to cross the hills and cover the flank of 9th SS against 9th ID, but the units are slow to abandon their defensive positions. There is no 2nd activation.

CCB/9th Armored Division

SNAFU mods: -6
The Train is removed from the map. I do not roll for a 2nd activation.

1st SS Panzer Division
The formation prosecutes the siege of Stavelot from the north, succeeding in forcing the surrender of 3/504 after lengthy shelling and an attack by KG Knittel. The Division remains Fresh and gains a 2nd activation.

The attack continues westward, eliminating a unit of the 82nd on the road to Trois Ponts, and capturing the northern bridge to the village intact. The Pioneer battalion reaches the outskirts if La Gleize. Fresh status is retained.

106th Infantry Division
Set Prep Def
The Train is removed from the map. I do not roll for 2nd activation.

62nd Volksgrenadier Division

The formation pushes slowly west. A barrage against a battalion of the 106th is ineffective, but increases fatigue to 3. There is no 2nd activation.

112th/28 Regiment

Set Prep Def
The trapped infantry retreat back towards the HQ taking step losses. The Train is removed from the map. There is no 2nd activation.

560th Volksgrenadier Division

The 2nd battalion of the 112/28 is sent to the graveyard, but the Regiment’s HQ throws back an attack with a step loss each. Fatigue increases to 2 and there is no 2nd activation.

3rd Armored Division
3rd Armored is sent south to block the advance of 116th Panzer, reaching Modave on the main road to Ciney. There is no 2nd activation.

12th Volksgrenadier Division

12VG sends 2 infantry battalions and the tank battalion of the 2nd ID to the graveyard in a well-planned thrust to capture ground west of the HQ and link up with 9th SS to the north. Fatigue increases to 2 and a 2nd activation is gained.

TF Holz continues the attack, dropping suport in the HQ hex and killing a step of the defending infantry (to 4). An attack on the HQ only manages to swap single step losses, but an attack further west by I/27 sends the remnants of 1/393 of the 99th ID to the graveyard. Fatigue remains at 2.

2nd Infantry Division

The Train is removed from the map and 2/38 loses 2 steps (to 1) due to isolation.

12 SS Panzer Division
The JagdPanzers drop support on 2 battalions around Berg. The Division thrusts north, forcing the retreat of the 99th ID HQ. This may have been a mistake, as the Division is now back on the MSR, but there’s little of it left in any case. TF Jordan is driven back with a step loss by the Panther battalion. The Infantry Divisions suffer heavily as the SS press forward, reaching the outskirts of Camp D’Elsenborn. Fatigue remains at zero and there is no 2nd activation.

84th Infantry Division

The formation splits into two task forces to defend the Mause crossings at Namur and Andenne. There is no 2nd activation.

3rd Fallshirmjager Division
The paratroops march westward to the frontlines in the wake of 3rd PG Division. There is no 2nd activation.

4th Infantry Division
The defence line is readjusted slightly. All barrages are ineffective. Fatigue increases to 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

18th Volksgrenadier Division
A heavy barrage sends the motorised battalion of the 106th to the graveyard. Another battalion is reduced to its last step whilst the HQ is cut off from the remaining troops. Fatigue increases to 2 and there is no 2nd activation.

CCB/10th Armored Division
The formation moves towarsd Bastogne, with Task Forces engaging elements of the 5FJ across the headwaters of the Sure to little effect. Fatigue remains at 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

212th Volksgrenadier Division

Fatigue decreases to 1. There is no 2nd activation.

101st Airborne Division

KG Gutman is driven north of Noville with heavy losses. The I/3 Panzer battalion loses 2 steps and is likewise forced to retreat. Four battalions of the 101st now exert ZoCs on the only potential route supplying the breakthrough 116th and Lehr Divisions. Fatigue remains at zero and there is no 2nd activation.

276th Volksgrenadier Division

Setup Prep Def
A barrage destroys the 60th battalion of CCA/9. Fatigue remains at 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

5th Fallshirmjager Division

The attached flak kills a step of TF Desobry of CCB/10, and artillery kills another step (to 2). The 101st are too tough a proposition to attack, and the line against hem is just maintained. Fatigue remains at 1 and a 2nd activation is gained.

An identical combination of 88s and shelling finishes off the last 2 steps of TF Desobry. Fatigue remains at 1.

2nd Panzer Division

The formation had been waiting for 101st to activate before counter-attacking to retake the Noville road, but this now looks to have been optimistic. The combination of mixed units with Fuhrer Begleit Brigade, and supply train issues prevent the Division activating at all. A flip is taken to lower fatigue to 1.

116th Panzer Division
Even with their MSR cut the formation manages to operate. They will have to trust that supporting units can open a link to them and proceed over the Meuse. Dinant is seized using a recon OBJ, but the bridge is blown in the faces of the recon battalion. Units switch the axis of advance towards Namur. Even with the mud, the excellent roads allows the lead II/50 battalion to launch an attack from the march against the unprepared 1/314 of the 84th ID in Jambes. The US infantry are thrown back over the river. Jambes and the bridge are taken intact. Fatigue increase to 3 and the Train is removed from the map. I do not roll for 2nd activation, though it is tempting.

So that’s it for the roller-coaster ride of turn 5. At the start of the turn I thought the Germans were doing great in the south and had been stymied in the north. By the end of the turn I feel its swung to the opposite situation. There are 6 Allied and 2 German formations with their Trains off-map. Elsenborn Ridge and the US ‘front’ from St Vith to Wiltz have all but collapsed, but the heroic 101st have sortied north from Bastogne to give the German quartermasters fits, as they interdict the Houffalize road that is the only supply route for Lehr and the 116th breakthrough Divisions.

The Rigid 5th Corps rule is certainly a great advantage for the German player, much more so than the Rigid Germans rule for the Allies. It forces the US Infantry Divisions to start defending from less then ideal locations when they arrive, prevents tactical withdrawals and hampers counter-attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just from memory, can you not place the 116th train onto a road in the area east of Bastogne anywhere. Yes, not optimal distance, yes only connects to the HQ via tracks, yes, will stay on ghost side, but better that's MSR blocked!
And once you wrestle that road bit from th 101AB you are back in the game with the 116Pz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Massey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hreschreiter wrote:
Just from memory, can you not place the 116th train onto a road in the area east of Bastogne anywhere. Yes, not optimal distance, yes only connects to the HQ via tracks, yes, will stay on ghost side, but better that's MSR blocked!
And once you wrestle that road bit from th 101AB you are back in the game with the 116Pz.

It's a good point, and I think I've been looking at the supply situation only from the point of getting the Train within 15 hexes of the HQ rather than realising the distance can be ANY length but with the -1 for non-optimal distance and -1 for Ghost (which is automatic if non-optimal).

I don't think it made a difference to 116th here [I'm starting T8 at the moment] as the only alternative to the Houffalize road is the trail 10 hexes east at Gouvy, and this is blocked by units of 7th Armored. I certainly didn't think to try and clear that alternate route though.

It's T8 now, and the 101st is still blocking the vital road! Fortunately 2SS Panzer has managed to open an alternate supply route via Vielsalm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.