Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that this is where the whining starts...

I have 1e and I'd really like to get this, but I'm not going to buy 2e just so that all the bits are compatible. Does anyone know whether the 1e/2e components are interchangeable/compatible? (I also have King of Tokyo: Power Up! and King of Tokyo: Halloween)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so I did a bit of digging http://iellogames.com/wordpress/king-of-tokyo-2016-version/

Quote:
Compatibility with the expansions

Unfortunately, we weren’t able to keep the same card backs on the Power cards (they hosted the old box cover, which is different in this new version). To make sure the original version is compatible with future expansions, or the existing cards (promos or cards in the Halloween expansion pack) with the new version, we’ll soon offer, at a reasonable price, card sleeves that fit the game’s theme. The existing Evolution cards are completely compatible with the new version (by giving the new monsters the Evolutions of the monsters they replaced, or by using a dealing variant for the Evolutions – drafting or random distribution). A new version of Power Up! is already planned, with Evolutions for the new monsters, as well as Evolutions that let you use the King of Tokyo monsters in King of New York. All the other contents, and notably the monsters, is and will remain entirely compatible between both versions and all expansions. - See more at: http://iellogames.com/wordpress/king-of-tokyo-2016-version/#...

Bollocks! Looks like I'll give this a miss, otherwise it'll not only be the cost of the expansion, but the cost of the sleeves. The expansion addict in me says "nooooooooo!", but the rationalist says "meh, you don't play it enough to warrant that level of expense and you owe no loyalty to the company that made the decision to screw you over".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As there's no power cards included (only Evolution cards), Cthulhu (and probably any upcoming Monster Pack) will be 100% compatible with both versions of KoT (and KoNY).

As stated in your quote, compatibility issues are limited to:
• promo cards
• the 12 Costume cards from the Halloween expansion
• the names on the Evolution sets in the Power Up expansions for KoT (the powers are still compatible).

That's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Matthieu! I guess that I read that but that the significance of the text never really made it through the parsing stage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.